Top Shelf Aquatics

IM10 Owners - Return pump help

minimal

Fellow IM10 owners, what return pump do you use? I’m in the process of building mine, and love how simple the tank looks without a powerhead visible, so I've been looking into upgrading the return pump - anyone have any recommendations? The only SPS I’d like are a few Montis. 

The stock pump on full blast is 92gph, with the spinstream I’ve installed I'm sure it's less than that.

I'm stuck between a Sicce MICRAPLUS pump (158gph, goes for $31), going with my originally planned Eheim Compacton (159gph) or even downgrading for something around 120gph.

I’m kind of stuck. What pump do you run?

thank you!

SaltyBuddha

I used a Sicce 0.5 that worked great. Recently upgraded to a Sicce 1.0 and it works great as well. I'd go with an adjustable pump that you can tune down if necessary. 

• Thanks 1
justinkdenny
56 minutes ago, minimal said:

Fellow IM10 owners, what return pump do you use? I’m in the process of building mine, and love how simple the tank looks without a powerhead visible, so I've been looking into upgrading the return pump - anyone have any recommendations? The only SPS I’d like are a few Montis. 

The stock pump on full blast is 92gph, with the spinstream I’ve installed I'm sure it's less than that.

I'm stuck between a Sicce MICRAPLUS pump (158gph, goes for $31), going with my originally planned Eheim Compacton (159gph) or even downgrading for something around 120gph.

I’m kind of stuck. What pump do you run?

thank you!

Just a question.  You said the stock pump is 92gph at full blast.  Does that mean the stock pump is adjustable?  I was told it wasn't but I thought it was.

I have a Tunze 1073.008 which is adjustable, recently got a Sicce 1.0 that came with a tank I bought so thought about trying that out but I'm actually happy with the flow I get with the Tunze. Both options are great inexpensive upgrades.

• Thanks 1

I used a marineland 600 but changed to the mighty jet 326 from IM.

Both were great but I prefer the mighty jet as you can have wave mode, flow rate is controllable, and it has a feed mode option which comes in handy.

• Thanks 1
23 minutes ago, justinkdenny said:

Just a question.  You said the stock pump is 92gph at full blast.  Does that mean the stock pump is adjustable?  I was told it wasn't but I thought it was.

Mine has a dial on it, it says it can adjust from 13-92gph. 13gph barely pushes water back into the display tank haha

Thank you to everyone for the answers so far! 🤙🏻

59 minutes ago, BearTheSquare said:

I’ve been using the sicce 1.0 and like it a lot. Definitely puts out enough flow to keep montis happy. 

This one looks really good. 

How is the noise level? I’ve heard some people end up buying silicone mats/tubing for sicce pumps to quiet the vibrations

7 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I used a marineland 600 but changed to the mighty jet 326 from IM.

Both were great but I prefer the mighty jet as you can have wave mode, flow rate is controllable, and it has a feed mode option which comes in handy.

I didn’t even consider this one. Would love the controllability, but budget 😩 have you tried running the sine feature with a spin stream nozzle by any chance? I’ve used an MP10 in the past and loved the sine/pulse mode. 

• Like 1
BearTheSquare

I had the tank next to my bed for 2 months and never had an issue. If you didn’t see the surface agitation/coral movement you wouldn’t know it’s on. I don’t think a mat would be necessary but it definitely wouldn’t be a bad purchase if you’re worried.

16 minutes ago, minimal said:

Mine has a dial on it, it says it can adjust from 13-92gph. 13gph barely pushes water back into the display tank haha

Thank you to everyone for the answers so far! 🤙🏻

This one looks really good. 

How is the noise level? I’ve heard some people end up buying silicone mats/tubing for sicce pumps to quiet the vibrations

I didn’t even consider this one. Would love the controllability, but budget 😩 have you tried running the sine feature with a spin stream nozzle by any chance? I’ve used an MP10 in the past and loved the sine/pulse mode. 

I use the wave mode with the mighty jet. I have a spin stream lying around but didn't like the type of water movement it provided, the noise from it(even after vinegar soaks and months of use) nor how much room it took up.

I use the mighty jet with RFG nozzles.

Jebao sells a clone of the mighty jet. Not sure its dimensions.

I have had a Sicce 1.0 for the past year.  I had a spin stream but removed it due to noise.  The Sicce is completely silent, no noise of any kind.  The water flow is great.  I had monti’s completely cover their level and Stylopora.

I don't own an IM10, but I've been using the Cobalt Mini-MJ 606 in my 18g aquarium and I have to say I like it quite a bit. It pushes out around 160gph when dialed all the way up, produces minimal noise and vibration, and is very very small. Also the power cord comes out of the top rather than the back or side, so it's very easy to position the pump in the rear chambers of an AIO. It's affordable too; BRS and Marine Depot sell them for $32.99.

I had to look at my stock IM10 pump since I didn't remember it being adjustable. Yup, mine isn't adjustable. But even at 92gph, it's not enough flow for a spin stream. Not sure how much it actually reduces flow but it seems substantial. I haven't checked to see what the optimal flow rate is on them, but if you plan on getting a new pump to go with your spin stream, that info might be worth looking up.

• 2 weeks later...

I've decided to go with the Sicce 1.0

All around solid, deadly quiet pump with a reliable track record. Should fit the bill nicely. 

Thank you to all for your recommendations!