Top Shelf Aquatics

Clownfish locking mouths

JennyRS

I know there are many threads with clownfish questions regarding this issue but I'm throwing the question out there as these two only fight at night. They have been together in the same tank for about 4 or 5 months now and this fighting has only been going on for a few weeks. They are both percula's (I think) and one is larger than the other. I originally had the smaller orange perc with a Wyoming white but was having pairing issues so I sold it and bought a platinum. They were fine with each other in the beginning but now constantly fight at night and have scars from it. Are they both females and should I remove/ separate them? I have seen the orange perc submit on a few occasions but it stresses me out listening to them fight when lights are out and I'm trying to sleep.

20190619220124_IMG_2379.JPG

20190619220149_IMG_2383.JPG

20190619220551_IMG_2396.JPG

If they're locking mouths & have scars from it, you really need to remove one. This isn't a situation that's likely to self correct. You either have two females, or a male morphing into a female, or a male/female combo that just isn't going to get on well. Remember, you can't just put any man + woman together and expect it to work out every time. I believe the same holds true with fish.

• Like 2

Yes I knew it would be hit or miss with pairing, I have just had such bad luck with it I was hoping these two were going to pair but I will separate them this evening.

Both look injured yes and the bigger one also meaning she also get a beating are you sure they are fighting and not being attacked by a other fish? 

If not then they both females if it was a case of dominance the little one would of gotten a beat down alone 

• 3 weeks later...

I do not have any other fish in the tank, just a blood shrimp and hermits. I have since separated them and purchased a new pair of clowns. Thanks for the help.

• Like 1