Pod Your Reef

Alveopora and chemical warfare

A.m.P

So, I may have finally found alveopora, but I've read that goniopora are notoriously rough on other tank inhabitants and even caused skin reactions for ORA handlers. I plan to actually call ORA and try to get more information but I was hoping that someone on the forums might have hands-on experience.

Question is, Alveopora are no longer considered to be taxonomically closely-related to goniopora and are instead more closely related to acropora whereas goni's are moreso to porites. Would anyone happen to know if this means they release fewer toxins, if any at all, into the water column? I would be exceedingly remiss to add anything into my tank which might slow the growth of my other corals (yes I have an echinophyllia chalice but it's exceedingly tame).

I have a condition which prevents my body from being able to properly ramp-down and deal with recurrent exposure to inflammation without external corticosteroid intervention as well, so I'm kind of mulling over that bit as well. Would love to know if anyone has more information about the animals.

PSA: ORA recommends elbow-high gloves working with goni's but couldn't comment on alveopora. Shoot, that leaves me in an awkward spot, they're not technically closely-related but if their methods of self-defense are similar I'd probably be better-off passing... 
Still hoping someone might have some anecdotal or scientific experience I've missed diggin' around on google.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

PSA: ORA recommends elbow-high gloves working with goni's but couldn't comment on alveopora. Shoot, that leaves me in an awkward spot, they're not technically closely-related but if their methods of self-defense are similar I'd probably be better-off passing... 
Still hoping someone might have some anecdotal or scientific experience I've missed diggin' around on google.

I only have experience with Goniopora:

I have three goni’s and never wear gloves when reefing ......and have picked them up with my hands. I’ve never had issues with any corals that are around them and some of them are very close. I have not found them to be aggressive but will snag a neighbor on occasion if touching.  

I do not run carbon or filters so chemical warfare seems unlikely ........at least in my tanks. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Hopefully someone one else will chime in. 😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What size tank are they in? Curious about dilution =p 
Thanks for the reply, love gathering info and experience! Apparently those who were routinely in the tanks with the ORA red goni's actually developed contact-dermatitis like sfx from routine exposure and found that the animals were VERY good at stinging any exposed skin, especially anything thinner than the skin on your hands.

• Like 2
EfrainChicagoDeepdish

I have an alveopora and pink goniopora.  Neither touch anything inside my tank, both were sold as maricultured.  No filtration in my 17 gallon.  No gloves.  No problems.  

Good luck.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
49 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

What size tank are they in? Curious about dilution =p 
Thanks for the reply, love gathering info and experience! Apparently those who were routinely in the tanks with the ORA red goni's actually developed contact-dermatitis like sfx from routine exposure and found that the animals were VERY good at stinging any exposed skin, especially anything thinner than the skin on your hands.

I had the green one in my 12 gallon long until it was too large. Now I have a green, red and a rainbow in my 75 gallon.  My clownfish spent 24 hours a day in the green one until it had to be moved. 

• Like 2
59 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

I had the green one in my 12 gallon long until it was too large. Now I have a green, red and a rainbow in my 75 gallon.  My clownfish spent 24 hours a day in the green one until it had to be moved. 

Hmmm, my 12 gallon atoll probably isn't big enough for the gigas or japonica species come to think of it, wonder if I can find anyone with some of the smaller-polyped variants...

• Like 1