SaltCritters.com

Indo-Pacific Goby Biotope (SHUT DOWN 2019.10.04)

Ratvan

Nipped out at lunch to have a look at a tank that is shutting down, picked up a new Yuma Mushroom rock £10.00 (to replace losses)

20190822_142254.thumb.jpg.263aa444507a33e58bbfd60eca84dc9f.jpg

as well as a Zoa Rock £10.00 (I know, I'm trying again with larger colonies) which has a nice Mushroom growing in the midst of it (not sure what type possible Discosoma or another Yuma, I cant get a decent photograph of it at all from any angle) 

20190822_142312.thumb.jpg.40e80ba9abea40698484ea4c90cc7be8.jpg

damn Aiptasia

20190822_142324.thumb.jpg.d3a3ee674b466a8d2d6bab23e3deb27b.jpg

Eventually I decided to stand the Rock upright

20190822_142927.thumb.jpg.61766f70dd8bb378dcb5c224c0ed79e4.jpg

Close up of Mushroom on Zoas

20190822_142944.thumb.jpg.742ebd303cfafa5fb9f7e999e2831c99.jpg20190822_142953.thumb.jpg.e21c663b3e56c1bdde47730910137b39.jpg

Also when I added the Mushroom rock to the tank I noticed a couple of things shoot out under my rock wall....... I wander what those were. Literally saw the smallest flash of red as it moved, very very quickly🤷‍♂️

• Like 3

Hitchhiker fish!? That's a pretty rare one! Congratulations I think! 😁

Quite the impressive zoa rock you've got there. Seems super cheap too for what you got.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, billygoat said:

Hitchhiker fish!? That's a pretty rare one! Congratulations I think! 😁

Quite the impressive zoa rock you've got there. Seems super cheap too for what you got.

To be fair I got them cheaply because the bottom of both rocks were infested with Aiptasia as well as Black Sponges. Sorted that out pre dipping with a Chisel. The rock split almost perfectly in two. Zoas on one half and Aiptasia and other pests on the other. Will dry this out and clean it up and store for Home reef. Nice little shelf

I have seen them eating Copepods, thankfully Cujo doesn't seem interested as they're both at different tank levels  

• Like 1

And I need to catch them and remove them. Still want this as a Biotope and they seem to be Californian side of the Pacific Ocean. Le sigh.  

I can potentially put Benny (Cebu) in here and put this pair in with the Clown in the Pico? 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Ratvan said:

I can potentially put Benny (Cebu) in here and put this pair in with the Clown in the Pico? 

Right, of course the pico has a clown in it. How could I forget the unexpected arrival? 😂

It's a shame that those gobies are not compatible with the theme, but I totally understand. I am not one to question the integrity of a biotope. However I have to imagine you are going to have one hell of a time getting them out of there!

• Haha 1

Right, of course the pico has a clown in it. How could I forget the unexpected arrival? 😂

It's a shame that those gobies are not compatible with the theme, but I totally understand. I am not one to question the integrity of a biotope. However I have to imagine you are going to have one hell of a time getting them out of there!

Three Free Fish this week presents it's own issues lmao. 

Cebu is Indo Pacific so the Firecracker (Benny) can go into this with the Tailspot Blenny. I have a load of caves now and Cujo seems to enjoy perching on the HOB intake and upper most barnacle. Plus as I found out my rocks are smuggling crates for fish.

Ocellaris clown (Hantu) could be same region arguably (Indian and Pacific Ocean) but then have 3 in a 5.5G until I can move him home for Christmas and I worry about overcrowding and aggression......

Or leave it as it is and take Clown home at Christmas.

F#ck

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, billygoat said:

Sorry to hear about the Xenia. 😞 How is everything else looking? Nothing a good scrubbing and water change won't fix?

Thanks. Everything else looks great now I have cleaned and scrubbed.

Guess Xenia is another thing that I cannot keep alive along with Zoa's (small frags) although I can spot some small branching growths, but that could be Kenya Tree as well i guess?

20190822_142944.thumb.jpg.79371b0239c292ec4df67fe4b86c787b.jpg20190822_142927.thumb.jpg.733941a4c4be42d6fd7014e6cf66f25a.jpg20190822_142324.thumb.jpg.f0b42f2df03e9c8c291bb96135f5fe82.jpg20190822_142312.thumb.jpg.78370a9b966643cde9b9ccf65db49918.jpg20190822_142254.thumb.jpg.2eb77d4d504efec1d1ae32a4b80be9e7.jpg20190822_142953.thumb.jpg.9165a1c51fb86203681c78f80dfd8325.jpg

Few Aiptasia here and there still. Cujo is alive and kicking and have briefly spotted Benny. Neither are staying still for Photographs.

Have left the back wall and the right hand side (as you view the tank) dirty, mainly because I don't really pay much attention to those sides and I need more floss 

@billygoat I was very very close to buying a Condy today. Until I found out they were Caribbean Anemone's.

Shame a couple of nice ones were £15.00 each.....

• Like 1

Today is the first day where I haven't had to change the floss (see above Photo) water is looking good at last. Still a small amount of GHA, possibly Green Turf Algae? Light dusting of Diatoms as well now. Leaving unattended and overfed for 10 days was a right ballache with cleaning. I was very close to ripping down and rebuilding. 

Fish recommendations for this tank please? Benny (Firecracker Goby) I do not see at all now, still alive maybe? Also my Goldstreak/TwinSpot spends less and less time perching and more time hiding now, regardless if the pumps are on or not....... Would it be possible to add a Dither fish to this tank? I do have an upgrade in the works and was thinking of a Juvie Cardinal Fish?

• Like 2

The deep cleaning... so satisfying, and yet so disgusting. Glad you got it done though!

When you say you have an upgrade in the works, how big are we talking? I think neon gobies make pretty good dither fish as they send to spend more time swimming around in the open than many other types of goby. Cardinals would be perfect too if you get a little bit of a bigger system.

1 minute ago, billygoat said:

The deep cleaning... so satisfying, and yet so disgusting. Glad you got it done though!

When you say you have an upgrade in the works, how big are we talking? I think neon gobies make pretty good dither fish as they send to spend more time swimming around in the open than many other types of goby. Cardinals would be perfect too if you get a little bit of a bigger system.

Yeah it is turning a corner after that clean, starting to see Coralline as well now which is amazing. 

Bidding on a Red Sea Max 130D. So 29 Gallon Display and 5 Gallon Rear Filter Section so 34 Gallons overall, obviously no new fish until I can confirm I have the tank, also found a nice Kessil Clone Light system that i'll pick up ex display 

I'll know in just over 24 hours, I'm thinking of some of the below options

Clownfish - Hantu 

Blue Damsel/ Yellow Tail Damsel

Cardinal

Molly Pair

Gobies I would love but are so hard to find, part of the reason for the upgrade, I can find more fish that I can keep 

@seabass If I got my hands on a Juvie Bangaii Cardinal, could I keep it in here for a short amount of time (6 months) until I can transfer to a larger tank? I'm thinking that another fish and one that is more active (dither) might make Cujo come out a little more. He has reverted back to being incredibly shy since I came back from Poland.

If not a Cardinal thinking a small Damsel

2 hours ago, Ratvan said:

If I got my hands on a Juvie Bangaii Cardinal, could I keep it in here for a short amount of time (6 months) until I can transfer to a larger tank?

Depending on how old it is, I might reluctantly say yes.  I know you have plans to upgrade to a 34 gallon tank shortly.  That'd be a suitable tank for it.  If you start prepping for it now, you could have that (or another) tank up in running for right after the pico contest.  That would be a more suitable time frame for this young Banggai Cardinal.

• Like 1

So I continue shopping for my LPS collection, picked up a Nemenzophyllia (Fox Coral) today from a Local Reefer

20190906_134251.thumb.jpg.c6490cc48ef40c4079b84c49b215b7c2.jpg

2 minutes ago, seabass said:

Depending on how old it is, I might reluctantly say yes.  I know you have plans to upgrade to a 34 gallon tank shortly.  That'd be a suitable tank for it.  If you start prepping for it now, you could have that (or another) tank up in running for right after the pico contest.  That would be a more suitable time frame for this young Banggai Cardinal.

Perfect, I should know in a few hours whether I have won the auction or not (cannot look at the minute) If I have I will be starting up the 34G ASAP (Monday) as I want it running over Christmas  

• Like 2

Best of luck with the auction! I assume the new 34g system will end up in your home and not your office? Or are you going to aim for the world record hydrogen sulfide release from an office aquarium this time around? 20 cm of sandbed, no livestock but heavy feeding, rotting shrimp buried in the substrate... I can see it all now... 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

Best of luck with the auction! I assume the new 34g system will end up in your home and not your office? Or are you going to aim for the world record hydrogen sulfide release from an office aquarium this time around? 20 cm of sandbed, no livestock but heavy feeding, rotting shrimp buried in the substrate... I can see it all now... 😂

Actually it is going to be the office tank.  More volume for more Corals and Livestock (plus I hope to automate so I can leave it in the office for 12 days over Christmas shutdown) 😄

I do want a sandbed and really want a Jawfish now I seen yours.....

• Like 2