inTank Media Baskets

Condy in the same tank as clowns?

Chris's Fishes

Chris's Fishes

Hello!

I've got yet another question for my macro tank... guess it's better to ask than to find out the bad answer later, right?

Would there be any problem keeping a Condy nem in with a pair of clowns in a 20 long? I'm not trying to get them to host, I'm just trying to see if my Valentini puffer would nip at the anemone. So far, he's proven to be a very reef-safe specimen - ignoring large snails, hermit crabs, and soft corals. I'd just rather not throw in a nice bubble tip only to have it damaged by the puffer. Not that a Condy is worth any less, as it's still an animal, but they're easier to get a hold of and a bit cheaper, in case something does go wrong. I'd remove it at the first signs of trouble, of course.

If my puffer did end up being nem-safe, would there be a problem keeping the Condy in there? Or would I have to remove it before I could have a BTA or add any macros/softies to the rockwork?

Thanks.

18 hours ago, Fisker said:

Hello!

I've got yet another question for my macro tank... guess it's better to ask than to find out the bad answer later, right?

Would there be any problem keeping a Condy nem in with a pair of clowns in a 20 long? I'm not trying to get them to host, I'm just trying to see if my Valentini puffer would nip at the anemone. So far, he's proven to be a very reef-safe specimen - ignoring large snails, hermit crabs, and soft corals. I'd just rather not throw in a nice bubble tip only to have it damaged by the puffer. Not that a Condy is worth any less, as it's still an animal, but they're easier to get a hold of and a bit cheaper, in case something does go wrong. I'd remove it at the first signs of trouble, of course.

If my puffer did end up being nem-safe, would there be a problem keeping the Condy in there? Or would I have to remove it before I could have a BTA or add any macros/softies to the rockwork?

Thanks.

You really should try the RBTA - you will likely have far better luck with it because of your clowns. The clowns can actually be hosted by an RBTA and if they take up residence in the RBTA, they will defend it and keep your Valentini at bay.

• Like 1
Chris's Fishes

Hmm... I just kinda worry that the clowns won't take to it fast enough. One of them is completely new to nems, and the other lived in a BTA a long time ago, but hasn't taken anything as a host since. I'm sure the instinct is still there, but I don't know how fast it'd take effect.

Maybe I can work out a deal with a LFS or something, so if it doesn't work out, I can just return it before any harm befalls it. I don't think I'll have any issues with the puffer anyway, but better safe than sorry.

This is all hypothetical anyway - I've still got a while to go before this tank is really read for a BTA!

• 1 month later...

clownfish do not host condys in nature. i know they will host lots of things in captivity. i have heard horror stories clowns trying to host condys only to get stung and eaten. would not reccomend you do this. if you want a nem, go for a bta