Top Shelf Aquatics

Algae?

Porkpie5000

15 minutes ago, Porkpie5000 said:

They look like a cross between a feather duster and some kind of algae. I don't think I have seen them before.

IMG_0523.thumb.jpeg.10725e4242beb0338dea3ccfdfc7ef20.jpeg

Could it be colonial hydroids?— It’s really hard to see the structure clearly in that pic. 

Porkpie5000
9 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Could it be colonial hydroids?— It’s really hard to see the structure clearly in that pic. 

Maybe? But I don't think so. At least not comparing them to pictures I can find of colonial hydroids. I'll try to get a better shot of them.

• Like 1
Porkpie5000

Most of them have a fluffy feathery top on them. A few have that more "structured" looking top. I don't know if that becomes the feather top eventually, but that's what I assume.

Pretty sure it is a type of green algae....name is escaping me though.   

The feathery things at the tops make it unusual though, at least in my recollection.  Possibly a tuft of cyano waving around?  (The pics of the tops aren't too clear so hard for me to say with any certainty.  Shutting off the flow so everything comes to a stop before you take the pic will give you and us better photos.)

I've never seen this stuff spread out of control (if it's what I think), but as with any algae, you should act in your role as #1 cleanup crew member and remove it if it seems to be spreading a lot.