ReefCleaners.org

The Rainy Day Aquarium

The Rainy Day Aquarium

Well I am sad to say that this is the last update for this here tank...

I have a strict "3 tank policy" with myself (and my wife) to help keep things clean and tidy. I have another tank on the way (which makes 4) and the writing was on the wall for the 4.1. It kind of kills a part of me to take this pico down, but unlike Ash, sometimes you just can't "catch them all". The livestock (minus the aiptasia 🤭) will be moved to the Lifegard 1.2 pico which will be my wife's new tank for her office desk. I'm not sure if I will be selling off the equipment, but I think I'll just be storing it all for now (something tells me this won't be the absolute end for this little tank.....) 

In the meantime you can look forward to my Lifegard 17.1 gallon nano build here:

Thanks for stopping by and as always happy reefing!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Will definitely be watching and looking forward to another build. That is why I opted for the Ai Prime light just in case the I want a bigger tank bit me in the A$$. And of course the wife approves. She really didn't approve of this one but knows how much I like reef tanks.

• Like 1
Daniel92481
5 hours ago, The Rainy Day Aquarium said:

Well I am sad to say that this is the last update for this here tank...

I have a strict "3 tank policy" with myself (and my wife) to help keep things clean and tidy. I have another tank on the way (which makes 4) and the writing was on the wall for the 4.1. It kind of kills a part of me to take this pico down, but unlike Ash, sometimes you just can't "catch them all". The livestock (minus the aiptasia 🤭) will be moved to the Lifegard 1.2 pico which will be my wife's new tank for her office desk. I'm not sure if I will be selling off the equipment, but I think I'll just be storing it all for now (something tells me this won't be the absolute end for this little tank.....) 

In the meantime you can look forward to my Lifegard 17.1 gallon nano build here:

Thanks for stopping by and as always happy reefing!

All good things must come to an end. I’m sad to see the 4.1 break down, but I’m glad to see that you have put your focus and energy into a new project. I’m excited to see more aiptasia! Haha I kid. I still actually watch your 4.1 gallon YouTube video. For those that haven’t seen it, you must go check it out! So serene and inspirational for these picos. Good luck with everything! 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Daniel92481
50 minutes ago, The Rainy Day Aquarium said:

@Daniel92481 Haha I hope no more aiptasia! 😬

Aw man, haha it's been a while since I made a video. Be sure to subscribe lol! 😂

Haha! I definitely look forward to more videos soon! About those dang aiptasia...I’ve had them before. I would say 20-30 that I could actually see. I bought 3 berghia nudibranchs and aiptasia was history in 2 months. I read somewhere that they actually have to eat at least one aiptasia every 24 hours, or they will die. They look really cool too when you’re able to catch a glimpse. Here’s a super duper close up I took when I had them. 

C04E29A0-BC09-4E63-80E8-A4168179D8C2.jpeg

• Like 1
The Rainy Day Aquarium

Looks like the stock "quiet one" pump pumped it's last. It just started making an awful noise, and then stops every now and then. I cleaned it out and rechecked everything to make sure nothing is blocking the impeller, but the issue still persists. I'm thinking of replacing it with a Sicce Syncra Nano, but I'm still looking around.

I also got the light in the mail the other day. I ended up going with 21ledusa's reef bar pro. It seems to be a good fixture so far, a little quirky, but thows a good amount of light. I guess we'll have to see if it grows coral 😉 

Right now the tank is just cycling (aka the most fun part of this hobby by far). I was on the fence about having a sand bed, but I think I'm going to go without one this time? But as we all know I like to change my mind so well see if I stick to it. 

• Like 2
The Rainy Day Aquarium
On 2/8/2022 at 10:00 PM, Christopher Marks said:

Can’t let a good tank go to waste! 😊Congrats on your new journey. 

Try without a sand bed this time. It’s always easy to add a little sand later. 

Absolutely! 😄 I’m  looking forward to where this new chapter with this little tank will go.

True, I’ll stay my hand with the sand.

• Like 2
The Rainy Day Aquarium
4 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

I am loving the upgrade !!! This is going to be good. 

I want to get my hands on that sump set up for a future project 😉

Thanks! It’s going to need a little more TLC with the pump going out and a few more issues to fix, but we’re well on our way! 

Ah, cashing in that request I see; please hold 😉

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
The Rainy Day Aquarium

I’m still waiting to get a new pump for this tank (decided on getting a sicce syncra nano), but in the meantime, I drained the tank and moved it over to the “OG” hallway table/bookcase. It really brings back good memories of when I first got into the hobby. 

1F48055F-1DD2-4B11-A068-30F440583BDA.thumb.jpeg.0c8b579663ed12afd8cbe2a83221f1c7.jpeg

This afternoon’s activity is just refilling the tank and setting up all of the equipment. I’ll be sure to update the first post in this thread with all of the new stuff I’m using and maybe if I get around to it I’ll make a video just for kicks.

Hope you all are having a great weekend 🤙

• Like 4
The Rainy Day Aquarium
17 hours ago, NanoGrant said:

The original setup looked great and this is looking very promising so far. 

Love the new rockwork! Looking forward to seeing the progress. 

Thank you! Trying to keep it simple this time😅

• Like 1
The Rainy Day Aquarium

Couldn't sleep last night. Heartburn from the pizza? The doggo coming and panting in my ear? (he does that when he needs to go outside lol, polite, but kind of creepy) Maybe it was the thought of the irreversible financial damage of my Tidal Gardens order? Who knows?

I also couldn't stop thinking about the lighting situation on this tank. Right now it has the reef bar pro, which I like, but the spread isn't all that great, Raising the fixture about 6-8 inches would definitely fix most of the issue, but I don't really have a way to do that; I could hang the light, but don't want to go through the trouble. In my drowsy state, I made the executive decision to steal the Noopsyche K7s from the 17 gallon and mount them on this little baby tank. I have to figure out the whole electrical/cable management thing now, but standing there in my undies at 2:30am was the proud man looking at 150 watts of blazing light above a pico reef. The spread (and spectrum) is a lot better. I think it was more of a personal preference as the reef bar pro was more than capable of growing what I wanted, but it came back to overall colour and the ability to not have shadowing (which I would have inevitably ran into with the coral in this tank).

I'm not really proud to say that this has turned into another "instant reef" as I threw all of the coral from the 17 gallon into this tank a while back (kind of a long story ha). The greater plan for this tank though is to have it be an SPS dominant reef (with a few zoas and such). I'm committed to the bare bottom look and thought it would be fun to have a few encrusting corals like montipora/stylocoeniella on the bottom and back glass (hint of what's in my Tidal Gardens order). As far as maintenance, I plan on working my way to just a 10% water change once a week along with dosing, but right now I am at about 50% water change at least every week to make sure things stay happy. I don't have plans to add any sort of fish to this tank. I would love something like a yellow clown goby, but having all of these juicy SPS polyps I just don't see it ending well for the coral. Maybe if I can get my hands on a pair of flaming prawn gobies I might consider adding them.

Anyways, that's what I have for now. I'll be sure to post some before and after photos of the lighting on this tank later on.

Happy reefing and make it a great week 🤙

• Like 2
The Rainy Day Aquarium

Also, I have a question for you all.

I’ve noticed a little anemone like thing coming out of my grafted montipora? My go to assumption is aiptasia, but this seems to disappear in the daylight hours and only come out at night. Also the structure of the thing is slightly different than the aiptasia I’m used to seeing, even still, aiptasia usually is out in the daytime as well. Maybe it is aiptasia and it just enjoys the night life?  The monti is fine and doesn’t show any signs of being irritated or stung. I did some research and am still stumped on what it could be? Any thoughts?

53E5D0E9-CE47-48EC-B81D-316760A7A856.thumb.jpeg.bbb4a38eeab38699518da56418b34741.jpeg

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Chowder's Reef said:

Also, I have a question for you all.

I’ve noticed a little anemone like thing coming out of my grafted montipora? My go to assumption is aiptasia, but this seems to disappear in the daylight hours and only come out at night. Also the structure of the thing is slightly different than the aiptasia I’m used to seeing, even still, aiptasia usually is out in the daytime as well. Maybe it is aiptasia and it just enjoys the night life?  The monti is fine and doesn’t show any signs of being irritated or stung. I did some research and am still stumped on what it could be? Any thoughts?

53E5D0E9-CE47-48EC-B81D-316760A7A856.thumb.jpeg.bbb4a38eeab38699518da56418b34741.jpeg

Looks like Aiptasia to me! 

• Like 1

How do you like the K7's so far ?

Also,so the Hygger isn't too much flow for your tank ? I wonder what the smallest tank you could put this thing in would be 🤔 lol. 

The Rainy Day Aquarium
2 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

How do you like the K7's so far ? 

I really like them! They have their quirks being a  “budget high end light” namely no app, and programming them with the controller is a little tedious. BUT they have it where it counts; spectrum, blending, etc. Overall, I would buy them again.

• Like 2
The Rainy Day Aquarium
3 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

Also,so the Hygger isn't too much flow for your tank ? I wonder what the smallest tank you could put this thing in would be 🤔 lol. 

I have it on the lowest setting, but it seems to be a great fit!

I believe @SaltyGallon has one of these in a 2 gallon cube. 

On 2/27/2022 at 9:02 PM, Chowder's Reef said:

Pics of the tank before and after, first one being the Reef Bar Pro and the second image of the Noopsyche K7s

4F392D0D-27E7-4300-937A-CD6D2B19D318.thumb.jpeg.8ead901e22bd236dccad57434d13d646.jpeg

85F079E3-BC97-4DA0-86C0-E9DE01609896.thumb.jpeg.9bd5675f39e29b7b24a399607cc089c5.jpeg

Wow! so beautiful!

• Thanks 1

Wow, just went through this whole thread. You’ve had some ups and downs! 
Well, here’s to hoping this time around treats you better than some of the previous iterations have!

Looking good so far!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
The Rainy Day Aquarium
1 hour ago, Firefish15 said:

Wow, just went through this whole thread. You’ve had some ups and downs! 
Well, here’s to hoping this time around treats you better than some of the previous iterations have!

Looking good so far!

Haha yeah, this little tank has been around the block. Lots of learning. I hope it’s better this time too😅 thank you!

• Like 2
The Rainy Day Aquarium

This morning the UPS dood dropped off my much anticipated order. Really impressed with Tidal Gardens. From their customer service to their coral frags, everything was top tier for me.

A sneak peak of what I got 😁

A605D846-358E-4C2D-AF96-7D0C50D8F96F.thumb.jpeg.ba66bd4d4ed559d7302a3a8ee1432598.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Wow 2