HingleMcCringleberry

Review my tank? 30gal (Pictures)

HingleMcCringleberry

Hi all

I feel like I’ve just about finished stocking my 30 gallon tank. I’m really proud of the work I’ve done so far. I’d love to hear feedback on my little ecosystem I designed. Criticism is welcome as well. I just want to show off the product of my efforts and hear ways I might still improve it. 

My tanl is a 30 gallon biocube. It’s been set up for about 4.5 months now but it was mature and full of water and rock when I received it used so I got a little head start.

i have attached some photos I took yesterday 

there are are a couple of frags that got burned and were put on the sand temporarily.

let me me know what you think!

AEC234B3-96BC-42BD-99D0-99A650C16134.jpeg

446C13DF-5921-4070-B251-091914396D13.jpeg

8D64AD67-2F49-4BC5-B0ED-0C2D1013EE48.jpeg

888E5D8B-4AD4-4B11-83A9-0275A7F4D781.jpeg

C11FC996-EF7D-4497-B9A4-6A688AE1A0B7.jpeg

7B1DB289-3100-4FE3-9E26-CD1DE0F47CAB.jpeg

ksadam

Coral and scape look good. Way too many fish in there.

• Like 1

LazyFish

Very nice scape and coral choices but as said that's alot of fish and that blue hippo tang is small now but gona get too big to be in there. I'm not sure what I'm looking at on the top of the water is the lid like saging or something and touching the surface? I dont think that's it but I'm not sure what I'm seeing. Is it a bag with something in it?

• Like 1

HingleMcCringleberry
4 minutes ago, LazyFish said:

Very nice scape and coral choices but as said that's alot of fish and that blue hippo tang is small now but gona get too big to be in there. I'm not sure what I'm looking at on the top of the water is the lid like saging or something and touching the surface? I dont think that's it but I'm not sure what I'm seeing. Is it a bag with something in it?

It’s actually an acrylic panel I cut to sit on top of the tank. I swapped the canopy that came with the tank for a china box suspended from a pole. I was getting a lot of evaporation and I wanted less noise so I used the acrylic to seal the top. Over a couple weeks it says into the water and then I flip it and it slowly caves back down again. Ahaha 

as for the fish I’ve been trying to see how many I can keep. Reducing may be a good idea. I do have plans to move the blue tang to a 75 gallon I just set up. And then to my LFS when it outgrows that tank. 

• Like 1

LazyFish

If u need a lid look at glass shops usualy prety cheep for a custom cut lid even curved glass they will cut it and if wont sag like the other. I had a 2 part glass lid cut eons ago on my biocube 29 it seems to do better with a small gap space on the front and back edges and between the two pannels so the evap can come out so wont cloud the lid and cut down the light or suffocate the fish for lack if gas exchange. A completely sealed lid will fog badly. I also had a bout half of the filter section covered. The open part of the filter section was where the water was getting the most movement in chamber 1 and going into chamber 2 to maximize gas exchange. It realy cut the overall evap. If u have a rim measure so it rests on the lip on the sides make it so you can place it where the front and back dont touch the tank so you can have a small gap if u do a 2 panel my personal.preferance measure carefully so u can also have a small gap in the middle.

• Like 1

HingleMcCringleberry
7 minutes ago, LazyFish said:

If u need a lid look at glass shops usualy prety cheep for a custom cut lid even curved glass they will cut it and if wont sag like the other. I had a 2 part glass lid cut eons ago on my biocube 29 it seems to do better with a small gap space on the edges and between the two pannels where possible so the evap can come out so wont cloud the lid or suffocate the fish for lack if gas exchange. I also had a bout half of the filter section covered. The open part of the filter section was where the water was getting the most movement in chamber 1 and going into chamber 2 to maximize gas exchange. It realy cut the evap. If u have a rim measure so it rests on the lip on the sides make it so you can place it where the front and back dont touch the tank so you can have a small gap if u do a 2 panel my personal.preferance measure carefully so u can also have a small gap in the middle.

Great advice.  This is what I’m working with now 

0B57BBC2-BA8F-45B6-8412-F4DF6D1D8E32.jpeg

A076B74F-0556-4593-8B08-60DC8DFEC81D.jpeg

1B2C5542-25C5-4C8B-907F-2FDD315CAD74.jpeg

LazyFish

I'm not sure what that wrass or red fish is but you may want to check out the min tank requirements for them they look a bit on the large side. I could be wrong it's hard to tell and I can only guess the exact spevies from the photos.

• Like 1

LazyFish

It's got a good bit of evap clouding it that will cut down how much light the corals are getting like a diffuser. That's kind of what I had on mine but glass and I had both cut a short to make a gap in the middle front and back just small enough the smalest fish couldn't jump.  The back half filter cover was acrylic but it wasn't under my lights the rest was glass. Eventualy it will stay warped. If its plain plexy it may also start to discolor if you use it a few years. I made this mistake on a fw tank many years ago. Eventualy fell in and knocked my light in with it. Hows the temps running being so closed In is it getting high?

• Like 1

HingleMcCringleberry
13 minutes ago, LazyFish said:

I'm not sure what that wrass or red fish is but you may want to check out the min tank requirements for them they look a bit on the large side. I could be wrong it's hard to tell and I can only guess the exact spevies from the photos.

There are a lot of fish. 2 davinci clowns. Blue tang. Melanurus wrasse. Flame hawk. Yasha goby. Pistol shrimp. Emerald crab. Serpent star. And cleanup crew. 

HingleMcCringleberry

I’m definitely thinking about trying to get a glass top now. My whole back filter section is open air right now. I’ve found if I cover that too then my tank overheats. 

LazyFish

Air gaps in the display lid and large ones on the the filter section are a must if u use glass. My filter was onlyb1/2 covered. It still cuts the evap alot more than running open top even with the gaps. I had to look up the wrass. The wrass needs a larger tank 50 is recomended u may get away with it in like a 40 long or something but in a 30 cube is realy small he would love that 75 you mentioned. The flame (I kinda thought that's what he was) may decide to munch coral and possibly that shrimp, crab or starfish too. Idk if it will but from what I know its risky it likes to eat shrimp crabs snails featherdusters sometimes gets a taste for corals. Clowns pistol and yasha should be cool together and you alredy said the hippo tang was a temp.

• Like 1

HingleMcCringleberry
3 minutes ago, LazyFish said:

Air gaps in the display lid and large ones on the the filter section are a must if u use glass. It still cuts the evap alot more than running open top. The wrass needs a larger tank 50 is recomended u may get away with it in like a 40 long or something but in a 30 cube is realy small he would love that 75 you mentioned. The flame may decide to munch coral and possibly that shrimp. Idk if it will but from what I know its risky it eats shrimp crabs snails featherdusters sometimes gets a taste for corals. Clowns pistol and yasha should be cool together and you alredy said the hippo tang was a temp.

The flame hawk, I have learned, does not tolerate cleaner shrimp. Twice I’ve tried with shrimp as large as the fish and it tore them to shreds (rescued the second one to the 75 before it was killed). But the flame hawk ignores the hermits and snails and emerald crab. The flame hawk and melanurus both separately tried once to eat the pistol shrimp when I added it. Instead of running the pistol shrimp chafed them and snapped it’s claw and now they give it plenty of space. 

As as for the melanurus I’ve been thinking about moving it up. The 75 is a newer tank and I’ve been adding the more finicky eaters first to make sure they get the attention they need. Currently there are two leopard wrasses in the 75 that have been there for 2 weeks. I know melanurus and leopard wrasses are supposed to be passive but I’m not sure if the three could coexist or not. 

For it now I am watching for signs that the melanurus is unhappy but it always seems entertained and busy hunting along the rocks so I haven’t pressed the issue much yet. 

Definitely looking into tje flame hawk eating coral though. That’s huge news. 

ninjamyst

i dig the rockwork.  whats all those algae on the left side rock????

• Like 1

HingleMcCringleberry
9 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

i dig the rockwork.  whats all those algae on the left side rock????

Ahahah I didn’t realize I had an algae problem until I moved my magnificent foxface to a larger tank. Apparently it was singleghandedly dealing with every scrap of algae that popped up on the rock. I had hoped that the baby hippo tang could fill in for it but no dice. I’m trying to figure out if I should add inverts or a fish that can manually remove it or change my filtration system and feeding so that it doesn’t grow in the first place. I feel like I want to have some algae so that the tang can eat a healthy diet. 

Matteo

personally I think it looks a bit crowded but i like my tanks open so that's just me. Like others have said, the fish stocking is a little concerning but they look happy enough for now. 

Do you have any turbo snails? Pop a couple in and that hair algae will be gone in days. 🙂 

• Like 1

LadyWolfe
On 6/24/2019 at 8:13 PM, LazyFish said:

If u need a lid look at glass shops usualy prety cheep for a custom cut lid even curved glass they will cut it and if wont sag like the other. I had a 2 part glass lid cut eons ago on my biocube 29 it seems to do better with a small gap space on the front and back edges and between the two pannels so the evap can come out so wont cloud the lid and cut down the light or suffocate the fish for lack if gas exchange. A completely sealed lid will fog badly. I also had a bout half of the filter section covered. The open part of the filter section was where the water was getting the most movement in chamber 1 and going into chamber 2 to maximize gas exchange. It realy cut the overall evap. If u have a rim measure so it rests on the lip on the sides make it so you can place it where the front and back dont touch the tank so you can have a small gap if u do a 2 panel my personal.preferance measure carefully so u can also have a small gap in the middle.

That's what I am planning for sevetal nanos and one 'reg' sized tank. Actually doing craft crate on one. Oh, a question...while my LFS said they'll craft a bottom glass for my 7.5 bowfront..I was thinking of making a template and gluing it myself. Have you ever done this? I am lucky its tbe bottom glass. Also, I have a 92 gallon..need a new top..scouting tank top companies on that one.... Thx for listening.

LazyFish

Any glass company will cut the tops I had mine done with notches so I could lift them off easily. I have never replaced panels on as tank sry.

• Like 1