Cultivated Reef

Which tank size? 5G, 16G, 34G

RickvD

Hello everyone,

I have been wanting to start a reef tank for a while now but sadly the AIO tanks i was looking for aren't available in my country (Fusion 20, Waterbox Cube 20).

Meaning i would get an empty fullglass tank to my likings and modify it with an internal sump etc.

Would you guys recommend me to start with a 5G I already own with maybe 1 clownfish just to try it, get a 16G cube nano tank (40$) and modify it a bit but keep it small so it will be cheaper to try it out or should i go full out biggest option possible (34G Custom build).

I have owned freshwater for about 10 years now but have been wanting to get saltwater for years.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, RickvD said:

Hello everyone,

I have been wanting to start a reef tank for a while now but sadly the AIO tanks i was looking for aren't available in my country (Fusion 20, Waterbox Cube 20).

Meaning i would get an empty fullglass tank to my likings and modify it with an internal sump etc.

Would you guys recommend me to start with a 5G I already own with maybe 1 clownfish just to try it, get a 16G cube nano tank (40$) and modify it a bit but keep it small so it will be cheaper to try it out or should i go full out biggest option possible (34G Custom build).

I have owned freshwater for about 10 years now but have been wanting to get saltwater for years.

34g custom build ALL THE WAY.

Like all hobbies and fish keeping... patience is key. good luck! 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, RickvD said:

Hello everyone,

34!! :happydance:

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Matteo said:

Like OP had a choice am I right? 

The answer is always yes. New tank? Yes! Bigger tank? Yes!! 😄

• Haha 3
Houston(EX)NanoReefer
On 6/24/2019 at 4:56 PM, RickvD said:

Hello everyone,

Just go with the 34G Custom. Keeping it small to keep costs low seems like a good idea, but it hardly works out that way. Besides that, it's easier to keep a SW tank stable with more water volume, which is the key to keeping everything happy. 

On 6/24/2019 at 10:56 PM, RickvD said:

Hello everyone,

Go for the largest option that you can realistically fit into a space, the 5G would make a nice QT/Hospital tank

20 hours ago, Ratvan said:

Go for the largest option that you can realistically fit into a space, the 5G would make a nice QT/Hospital tank

20 hours ago, Houston(EX)NanoReefer said:

Just go with the 34G Custom. Keeping it small to keep costs low seems like a good idea, but it hardly works out that way. Besides that, it's easier to keep a SW tank stable with more water volume, which is the key to keeping everything happy. 

On 6/25/2019 at 3:44 AM, WV Reefer said:

The answer is always yes. New tank? Yes! Bigger tank? Yes!! 😄

On 6/25/2019 at 3:39 AM, Matteo said:

Like OP had a choice am I right? 

On 6/25/2019 at 3:31 AM, WV Reefer said:

34!! :happydance:

On 6/25/2019 at 3:20 AM, Matteo said:

34g custom build ALL THE WAY.

Like all hobbies and fish keeping... patience is key. good luck! 

Thanks everyone, sadly ive decided for now it would be better to start with a 16G, that way i can also keep things like electricity bills lower which would be better for now as im 17 and make 4,50 euro's an hour... Hopefully i will be able to upgrade soon but i think my first salt water would be great as a 16 Gallon.

• Like 1