Coral Vue Hydros

Timelapse: Asterina and Micromussa fight to death

jservedio

A slow-motion fight to the death in miniature occurred in my tank today between an asterina starfish my big Micromussa Amakusensis and I got it all on camera. The Asterina star fell off of a monti cap directly above the micromussa and the second the starfish landed on it, the micromussa attacked. For close to an hour, the starfish attempted to fight off the micromussa, and almost made it. In the end, the tentacles from at least half a dozen polyps proved too much, and the starfish was turned into goo and digested.

Here is a high resolution  GIF I made from one macro shot every five minutes of the entire process from my DSLR sitting on a tripod:

https://i.imgur.com/BsfRLW7.gif (Apparently Nano-Reef doesn't like embeds of GIFs, you'll have to open in imgur)

DSC_2306.thumb.jpg.7730892cfa10b7c602d1092eb95f191b.jpg

Being compressed into a GIF it lost a lot of resolution, so if anyone is interested I can also post the high resolution stills from different frames.

• Like 2