Cultivated Reef

Why is my PH rising?

Jwhit3367

Hi everybody,

My red Sea max nano is about a month and a half old and since setting up I have had to dose NOPOX twice a day to keep the PH below 8.5.  I have a 6 stage RO filter I use for my water.  My friend said normally PH drops but I can't figure out why mine always rises.  Any thoughts would be helpful thanks

Screenshot_20190624-081910_Chrome.jpg

Ph fluctuates all day long.

Have you tested your alkalinity levels? Alk and ph work together.

Nopox is for phos and nitrate reduction, do you have high nutrients in the tank? If not it can lead to stripping the tank of nutrients which it needs...leading to bigger problems.

Are you running a good skimmer?

• Like 1

Using the red Sea skimmer that comes with the max nano.  I was using NOPOX because nitrates have stayed around 30 ppm, just seemed like a side benefit that it was keeping pH down.  Is there a test for nutrients?

I haven't tested ALK.  I will test it today.  I was looking at an ALK stabilizer yesterday at Petco and it said on the box that it raises pH. 

KH is about 300 ppm.  The GH test I added 80 drops and never showed any hint of turning green so I don't know I did it wrong or if GH is very high???

I'm assuming you are using an api kit. The GH is more for freshwater.

The alk tester I have used by api was the KH which turns from blue to yellow according to the amount of drops you add.

You want a good alk tester as alk is very important to corals, particularly stony corals.

You don't want an alk stabilizer. 

Before doing any alterations you want proper alk readings in DKH. 

You also need to monitor alk consumption by.

Testing newly made saltwater. The alk reading is usually exact or close to what your tank will be after a waterchange.

Then test the tank after a waterchange

Then everyday around the same time.

This determines where your alk starts and how much the tank uses through the week.

If there is a significant drop, then dosing alk will be necessary. Using a 2 part alk doser like esv bionic is easiest as it keeps alk and ca balanced, both work together.