Cultivated Reef

Questions and thoughts regarding salt mix

Kahmu84

So within the next year I'm planning to upgrade from my 20 gallon long to a larger tank, the corals(not too many currently, fish and inverts will make the transfer into the new tank, I'm currently using Red Sea coral pro, and I'm debating on whether with the new tank continuing with this salt, or switch to the regular red sea salt, or Fritz RPM. What are your thoughts? I'm planning to have more coral with the larger tank, and knowing that the coral pro salt is with higher levels of alk, ca, and the like, whether it would be easier to use a more natural leveled mix like Fritz, or continue using, especially when it comes to having to dose extra, and with water changes, what would be some of the pro's and con's to keeping with the red sea coral pro, or starting with a new salt mix like Fritz, or Red sea salt ?

I liked everything of RSCP besides the high alk. My corals didn't like alk that creeped to 12.5 and 13.5(2 tanks).

I personally prefer a more natural alk level and dosing to maintain. Corals are far happier too. I love the blue bucket. Fritz is also a popular salt.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I liked everything of RSCP besides the high alk. My corals didn't like alk that creeped to 12.5 and 13.5(2 tanks).

I personally prefer a more natural alk level and dosing to maintain. Corals are far happier too. I love the blue bucket. Fritz is also a popular salt.

Thank you, I really am debating and leaning closer to the more natural alk levels

• Christopher Marks changed the title to Questions and thoughts regarding salt mix

The problem with mixes that contain higher alk levels is they are notoriously inconsistent about it. I've had some go as high 15 dKH. Not good for an established SPS tank, and alk levels are stupidly easy and cheap to raise (baking soda at .99$ a box)

I've decided that when I start the new tank I'll be going for either fritz rpm or the red sea salt that's not with elevated levels 

Gourami Swami

I've been using fritz and I like it. Mixes clear in 5 minutes with a pump, and no crazy unpredictable levels of anything, seems consistent. On my 3rd container of it. I don't dose either just water changes to replenish. I might get faster growth with dosing but nothing is dying, some are growing quite steadily, including sps. In a small (14g) tank