inTank Media Baskets

RO Unit Membrane

davea

Hi all

I have a 50 gpd d&d ro unit installed and the membrane has come to the end of its life.

The question is do I need to change for a branded d&d membrane or can I use cheaper alternatives out there? Is there a difference between fitment from one to another unit?

Thanks in advance 

Christopher Marks
9 hours ago, davea said:

Hi all

I have a 50 gpd d&d ro unit installed and the membrane has come to the end of its life.

The question is do I need to change for a branded d&d membrane or can I use cheaper alternatives out there? Is there a difference between fitment from one to another unit?

Thanks in advance 

If your RO system uses standard canisters, it's using standard membranes as well, so you can use any brand of suitable replacement. You can also increase your system output when you replace your RO membrane if you want, to 75 or 100 gallon per day, for example, they're just a little more expensive is all. Post a photo of your system if you're unsure, or compare it to other filter brands, almost all RO systems look fundamentally the same and use standard filter sizes.

• Like 2

In addition to increasing output you can also get high efficiency membranes now that will produce less waster. They are more expensive but worth it to get a 2:1 waste ratio. 

• Like 2

Thanks guys pretty much what i thought ref the standardisation but the increase output and efficiency is good knowledge and something I will look into

Thanks again

• Like 1
1 hour ago, davea said:

Also on increasing output and membrane efficiency how would that change maintenance i.e changing carbon and micron filters?

Spectra pure sells the 2:1 membranes. As for changing the filters nothing would change. 

On 6/24/2019 at 11:26 PM, Sancho said:

Spectra pure sells the 2:1 membranes. As for changing the filters nothing would 

Ok I've changed the membrane (standard 50gpd), micron filter and carbon filter so a complete filter change for my system but i am still getting about 0.15 phosphates! Any ideas why?

5 hours ago, davea said:

Ok I've changed the membrane (standard 50gpd), micron filter and carbon filter so a complete filter change for my system but i am still getting about 0.15 phosphates! Any ideas why?

What about your DI resin? Are you getting 0TDS? Try making about 15 gallons and re-test

• Like 1

Sorry for my ignorance but di resin? What is that and where would it fit in the system?

Readings are down to pretty much 0 after running 20 litres

Christopher Marks
1 hour ago, davea said:

Sorry for my ignorance but di resin? What is that and where would it fit in the system?

Readings are down to pretty much 0 after running 20 litres

DI resin stands for deionization resin, it's an additional filter that is often added as the last stage of an RO filter (RO/DI), it filters the finished RO water and removes the very last impurities, if any are present. It's the purest you can go, and not ideal for drinking water, but great for mixing saltwater. If your source water is fairly pure already, you may not need a DI resin stage.

Since your TDS readings are back down to zero now, it sounds like everything is on track. It's common for a new membrane to need to be 'flushed' by filtering and disposing of the first few gallons of water production before it runs totally pure. You should be all set now!

• Like 2