Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

My IM Fusions

5*Chris

Hello, here is my long intro, short story, log of my attempt (so far) at trying to figure out this Rubik's cube of fish and coral keeping.

I've been lurking here for a bit and decided to start a journal. I'm very new to saltwater tanks, coming from FW world. My landlord recently informed me of her concern about having almost 500g worth of tanks in my place (apartment😬), so after selling most my setups and all my big tanks, I decided I wanted a reef tank. 

At first I wanted a IM 25 lagoon, but I wasn't able to find a "tank only" Lagoon or even a Nuvo 20, I luckily found a LFS that had 1 Fusion 20 Peninsula available so I jumped on it. A couple days before that, I bought a Nuvo 10 thinking I could use that to start cycling rocks and eventually turn it into a frag tank. I bought the 10g for $60 from someone on FB marketplace that upgraded to a Nuvo 20, he included a Tunze silent return pump and a spin stream nozzle. The day I bought the 20 Peninsula I also purchased "cycled" and RO/DI water, dry rock, Caribsea live sand, Dr Tim's one and only, as well as the ammonia and ordered an IM caddy, lid kit, and a Lumini Asta 20 light. June 1st I started the cycle.

Want to see a grown man whine? Keep reading...

So while waiting for this 10g to cycle, I've read and read and planned and reread and replanned. I came to realize, the footprint of the 20 Peninsula is killing me, I don't have anywhere to put it, that I can set it up the way it should be, so I can enjoy 2 long sides of a beautiful nano reef. On top of that, figuring out the right lighting solution was something I really wasnt prepared for. When I say, not prepared for, I really mean, WTF...how much for this light? As much as I love the footprint, I've come to hate it. And the funny thing is I didn't buy the 25 Lagoon because only the pro pack was available, but I've already bought a IM MightyJet 538 as well as other things, but that in itself, with the cost of 20 Peninsula would've got me the Lagoon🤦🏽‍♂️. Ok end whine.

On a good note, yesterday marked the 3rd day that I would dose the tank with ammonia and within 24hrs it was 0, 0, with nitrates at 10ppm. 😁😁😁. Here's some pics, last one being of the only FW fish I kept, my 10" FH named "Babes"... But don't worry, the story continues, there's even better news, but first...dinner.

IMG_20191029_152534.thumb.jpg.083fc22bed6cbb8dc6631477e6c29ff1.jpg

10/28/19

• Like 5
Christopher Marks

Welcome to the community @5*Chris! 👋

It can be hard to decide on just the right tank with so many options out there! Even worse when the one you pick is out of stock everywhere. The IM 10 is a really nice system with a footprint that fits in so many places. I can see why the 20 peninsula would present some limitations by comparison. Sounds like there's no rush at least, maybe keep the IM20 peninsula boxed up, perhaps you can find someone to trade with who has an equal but opposite dilemma?

The IM 10 will be a great way to begin in the saltwater world while you give yourself time to plan the second one.

• Like 2

Part 2

So yesterday, while waiting for my daughter to finish trying on what seemed to be 145 swim suits, I decided to check CL for reef tanks in my area, nothing. So I started checking different states surrounding me, I live in Northern Virginia. What did I find? Someone selling an IM 25 Lagoon. After a few back and forth texts, I told the seller I would take it. This morning, my family and I loaded up in our trusty Honda, 4hrs later, I officially joined the IM 25 lagoon owners. Best part of it, I got it for an awesome, though weirdly set price of $115. Not only did I get the tank for $115, but he also included, a Sicce 1.0 return pump, 2 custom caddies, IM UV sterilizer, Finnex 100w digital heater, IM Cheatomax led, Flipper algae scrubber, 20lbs of BRS Pukani rock(just bleached), and when I pulled up, he asked if I still needed a light, he had a spare I could have, which ended up being a fully functional Reef breeders black box. Not sure how I got so lucky, but I definitely did.

I wish I could've bought his mp10, Reeflink, and Ecotech Radion XR15W G4 hybrid light fixture. After I left for home, he updated the CL ad and he separated the hybrid fixture and was only asking $250 for the XR15w🤦🏽‍♂️. Oh well, maybe next weekend I can make another trip if it doesn't sell, but for now, hopefully I can get the Peninsula sold, build a new stand sometime this week, and hopefully get my new to me Lagoon wet.😁😁😁

IMG_20190623_180043.jpg

IMG_20190623_210626.jpg

IMG_20190623_210632.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow 2

@Christopher Marks thank you, I've very happy and super excited to be a part of this community. I enjoy reading through all the threads and drooling over everyone tanks. 

I was at the point of just going with my Nuvo 10 and keeping the Peninsula sitting until I figured everything out and learning more. But luckily I found this tank at such an awesome price, and now I get to start another cycle lol, the good thing is that it's the tank I wanted to begin with. Thanks again for the warm welcome 🤙🏽🤙🏽

• Like 2

Started my stand yesterday, not bad for $10 worth of lumber, $3 in screws, and an hour and a half worth of sweat. Picking up some .75" Birch ply for sides and thinking I might do .5" Birch on top and bottom shelf. Should have the holes filled, sand the stand down, and start staining today....hopefully, it's supposed to get hot again today 😩.IMG_20190628_135215.thumb.jpg.8e5f2d45574066a1fff47ac1ab48e821.jpg

• Like 4

IMG_20190630_175527.thumb.jpg.296d3bc9f616d7c0651d705ee644f04f.jpgDecided I want to box out the sides and front (door), so added more side support. Home Depot was out of 1/4" Birch to skin the stand with, but already painted the frame and used 1/2" Birch for top and shelf. At least it's far enough that I can start setting up the tank. I need to pick up some conduit tomorrow to make a temporary light hanger until I get a different light setup. 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

Finally figured out how to hang the ReefBreeders black box, wanted something inexpensive and easily removed when I decide on upgrading the lights. Turned out better than I thought, and only cost around $10...win/win. 

Now to decide if I want to use the Pukani rock I already have or buy some Real Reef dry rock I've been looking at. Trying to save money and not purchase things I don't necessarily need, I've done enough of that already which has already set my budget back 🤦🏽‍♂️. I also already have a large CS life rock arch that's been in my Nuvo 10 cycling which is kind of the reason I'm being picky about the dry rock I put in the Lagoon with it. IMG_20190704_105208.thumb.jpg.ebcd1e9bed90b0a79d93ba86f13d8997.jpgIMG_20190704_105218.thumb.jpg.3f2ae8bda5eec6c7515d65e14414acab.jpg

• Like 3

Nice start! Most of us waste money in this hobby....it's difficult to get it right the first time. 

Don't fret over lighting until you find what you want. Those reef breeders fixtures can grow anything and a well known acro vender battle corals uses them for his growouts with great success. I actually saw an amazing acro tank in person that had a mars aqua over it 😅 

Expensive lights give a person control from their phone and moonlighting and such...and look sleek but the Chinese boxes can still grow anything.

• Like 2

Thanks @Tamberav. Yeah I have a tendency to overspend, spend wrong, and waste money on hobbies, especially if it's a new hobby. Didn't realize there was such a huge gap between fresh and salt setups. 

I've already gone sideways and backwards, I blame everyone here 😂. Everyone has such awesome tanks that I can't open one thread without thinking damn I like that, I should do that. Like lately I've banned myself from looking at all the Pico threads...well kind of🤦🏽‍♂️.

I'm actually happy with the Reef Breeders light, even with my tank empty I turn it on and stare for a bit. I'm a hands on guy, so I don't mind the lack of automation.

Hopefully the Lagoon will see some water this week. The Pukani rock is currently sitting in a bleach bath, the guy I got it from said he already bleached it, but I'd feel better about it knowing I took the steps. 

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I decided to put the Nuvo 10 on hold for now and transferred everything to my Lagoon. Added 3 reef chromis and the Torch.IMG_20190718_172430.thumb.jpg.288e3104ffe440ce8a0fc4af50b9c11a.jpg

Week later I bought a green Kenya tree, a poly frag(guy at lfs said it came from Hawaii, I'm from Hawaii, so I wanted it 😁.) A week or so later I bought a the green candy cane, it was huge so I cut a piece off so I could put it in two spots, also picked up some purple fruit loops Zoas. As well as some small red and green mushrooms.

IMG_20190730_165852.thumb.jpg.56436e5371af90dbd89f8beeae7ccfb2.jpg

Last week I added a Ricordia. Yesterday I added a piece of live rock with Gsp(which came with Trochus snail), live rock with an Acan(and aiptasia, 🔥RIP aiptasia), a Blasto, and a Hammer.

I'm going to do some rearranging, I want to get the Kenya lower since it ended up being bigger than I thought when I bought it. Plus I don't want the arch as high as it is. 

IMG_20190811_161148.thumb.jpg.00b37bdcdf00787c063eaf267f226c80.jpg

• Like 3

Looking good!! Ive got the fish store holding a 40 gallon IM for me. Hopefully next week it'll be in its new home! I purchased my old Nuvo 10 back and was going to set it up but a deal came along for the 40 lol. 

My as of today update. 

The tank is starting to look good. Got a new light, Hydra 26 HD, an mp10, and did some rearranging. I don't think my hammer cared too much for the changes as one head bailed a couple days back and a second looks to be headed in the same route, do to a fight with a RFA. The first head floated into the RFA, it was eaten. After, I think that anemone no longer fit the hole it was in and decided to go for a walk, right into the second head of the hammer. The third head looks like it can't be bothered lol.

The Monti sitting on top of the rocks was almost bleached (someone forgot to hit save on acclimation mode on the Hydra) but seems to be coloring back up, it's been brown for several days but now I can see red hues coming back. 

Couple days ago I received a 4 head frogspawn and a bi-color duncan, I'm extremely nervous considering I've had a torch and a hammer bail. I guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed. Yesterday picked up a rainbow BTA for the 10 gallon and the guy gave me 2 Hollywood stunner frags, I'm really hoping for these to grow well.

All in all, I guess things are going well. Finally found a light schedule I like. Need to figure out placement for the mp10. I have it middle right side, and it seems great there, but the Kenya blows behind the arch, so I still have my KPS running, same side just pointed down the back wall to stand the Kenya upright. Would like to get to a point where I'm only using one of the pumps. Other than that, my marriage is still good after spending all this money, well I'll actually update that tonight after dinner, when I tell my wife we need to stop for corals😂.

IMG_20191029_152534.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1