Pod Your Reef

Cooling system for cube

RyvBoy

It's in an air conditioned room...lol

I also use computer fans hooked up to my temp controller on a diferent tank. They are set to come on when the tank reaches 79 degrees, and they blow on the surface of the water to aid in evaporation. 

But @Wonderboy has a small chiller he uses, you could ask him about it. He's currently using it on a  2.5 gallon tank I believe.

• Like 1

My 2.5 does have a thermoelectric chiller installed on it. That thing is fantastic; it's set at 79 degrees F, and it stays at 78.3-79 degrees F.

My nano (10G) is in a room (bedroom) that can get up to 82 degrees F on hot days - it has no dedicated cooling except for that I keep a battery powered thermostat right next to it that will turn a window mounted evap cooler in the next room on (I also have a box fan on low pulling air into the bedroom all day). My nano runs at 79 - 83 degrees F (heater set at 79 F). I have seen it hit 85 a few times when I had equipment issues in the past, but systems can usually handle fluctuations better over longer periods, and I was doing what I could to stabilize it (cycling frozen bottles of water). If a system is small enough to see rapid fluctuations in temperature, than a chiller or at least a dedicated fan would probably be necessary.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, RyvBoy said:

How do you deal with heat in your nano?

Hi @RyvBoy , definitely depends on your tank setup... do you have a Biocube or some other kind of tank with a lid, or do you have an open top tank?

16 hours ago, banasophia said:

Hi @RyvBoy , definitely depends on your tank setup... do you have a Biocube or some other kind of tank with a lid, or do you have an open top tank?

90 liters (25g) open cube

IMG-2975.jpg

• Like 2
18 hours ago, RyvBoy said:

90 liters (25g) open cube

IMG-2975.jpg

If you have an open top tank I think you should be able to take advantage of evaporative cooling pretty easily by aiming a fan at the surface... you’ll just need an ATO to compensate for the evaporation. 

Hopefully others with more experience can chime in on this as my open top tank (my Nuvo 10) doesn’t require any special measures for temperature control.  

• Like 1
On 6/22/2019 at 10:53 AM, RyvBoy said:

How do you deal with heat in your nano?

Air conditioning...ambient temp I’m my house never goes above 76* Fahrenheit. As others pointed out there are many options. It all kinda depends on where you live and what the temp averages in your house.