inTank Media Baskets

Help me choose my next tank... x2

norbert

I recently asked for help choosing between making my next tank a nuvo fusion 10 with budget lighting or a fluval evo 13.5. After a few more weeks of thinking I've decided that I'm really not very impressed by the stock lighting on the evo and I don't want to waste money replacing it at some point, even though I like the extra volume.

However, I'm still not much closer to making a decision because I'm now also considering the waterbox 10 cube plus bundle that comes with an AI Prime HD. Basically my choice is between a fusion 10 with either the aqua knight/hipargero or possibly a par38 for lighting, which would each be about $160 USD, and the waterbox bundle which comes with the tank and prime/gooseneck for $300 USD. 

This will be a mixed reef that is probably more lps than anything else, although I definitely do want some sps too. I know the prime is a great light but given that this is a budget build, is the extra cost worth it? Thanks in advance for your help!

I can't comment on the hipagero other than it looks small for a 10g to me and looks more appropriate for a pico but probably works with proper placement.

Expect to spend a lot more than 300 since you will inevitably probably want a media rack....powerhead...heater... Testing supplies... Gravel vac... Buckets ..extra stuff to mix salt...maybe upgrade the return pump if needed...algae scrapers...floss...maybe purigen...carbon..... A well stocked lps tank probably needs dosing (eventually)... Etc.

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

I can't comment on the hipagero other than it looks small for a 10g to me and looks more appropriate for a pico but probably works with proper placement.

Expect to spend a lot more than 300 since you will inevitably probably want a media rack....powerhead...heater... Testing supplies... Gravel vac... Buckets ..extra stuff to mix salt...maybe upgrade the return pump if needed...algae scrapers...floss...maybe purigen...carbon..... A well stocked lps tank probably needs dosing (eventually)... Etc.

^

This, expect to blow over budget because there are lots of little extras that are needed.

The hiperagero is becoming popular. Not sure on its max spread. There are others that use it.

Another option for volume is the IM 14g peninsula. You could do that with 

AI Prime HD(u can get used ones)

23 watt Abi par 38 or 35w coral compulsion.

• Like 1

Oh yeah I know $300 isn't enough for everything, I have some equipment left over from my last tank and I'll need to get more stuff like Tamberav said, my overall budget is higher. Right now I'm trying to decide if the extra cost is worth it to get a prime over a budget light.

Based on par readings I've seen for the hipargero it can grow sps in the upper half of a 12 inch tall tank and in theory that's all I really need, but I know everyone loves the prime and I really liked the Hydra 26 I had on my last nano reef.

I have the Hipargero on a 7 gallon cube, it's plenty powerful for my corals so far. I have some easy SPS, a few LPS, and a few softies in there. Everything is growing, and I have the blue channel on 50% and the whites on 10%, so it has plenty of room to get brighter. The SPS is pocillopora and montipora, and the LPS is Acan Lord, Acan micromussa, Candy Cane and Blastomussa, and Duncans. They are all growing happily. It's DEFINITELY not as fancy as an AI Prime, but it works if you want a light that you can just set and forget. It remembers what intensity you have set for the two channels, so you can just hoot it to a cheap Home Depot timer and forget about it.

Check out "Inappropriate Reefer" on youtube. He has a few videos marked "$146 budget nano reef" i think, and he has the Hipargero AquaKnight on a 10 gallon Petco rimmed tank.

The most important thing you need to consider is the tank's dimension.  The IM 10 is tall.  Do you like that?  I personally do not like tall nano tanks because it restricts your aquascaping options.  I prefer the Fluval Evo 13.5 because it is longer.  Longer is also better for fish because there is more horizontally swimming space.  A Kessil A80 for $100 used will be good enough for the Fluval Evo 13.5 for LPS, softies, and easy SPS.  MarineDepot also has a line of cheaper LEDs.  

So don't worry so much about the light.  Think about the dimension of the tank, how you are going to aquascape it, WHERE you are putting it.  Is the Evo peninsula style better?  Or the IM 10 column better for your space?  

• Like 2
20 hours ago, Clown79 said:

^

This, expect to blow over budget because there are lots of little extras that are needed.

The hiperagero is becoming popular. Not sure on its max spread. There are others that use it.

Another option for volume is the IM 14g peninsula. You could do that with 

AI Prime HD(u can get used ones)

23 watt Abi par 38 or 35w coral compulsion.

+1

If you are looking at a smaller tank that is the same cost as the larger EVO, why not consider the EVO regardless of the light? The light is serviceable, has an ok pump, perfectly acceptable for use while your tank cycles. Then you have several weeks to find the light you want, used or new. DIY screen for a top and you are set. Gets your tank wet and cycling faster. But as ninja says, pick a tank that fits where you are placing it, and how you plan to aquascape it. 

Gourami Swami

lifegard 14.26 AIO. I'm very happy with mine and they are cheaper. Marineandreef.com is where I got mine.

heres a vid of mine

• Like 2
Gourami Swami
10 hours ago, norbert said:

@Gourami Swami I hadn't considered that tank but I really like that it has a little extra space and I can add my own light, thanks for the suggestion. Your tank looks great! What light are you using?

thanks, this is a current usa orbit marine v1. They are 66$ on ebay from current usa's account. It is a perfect size for this tank. I keep LPS some SPS and softies, they are growing under this light slowly but surely.

AnotherBotDown

Have you given a thought on WaterBox cube 15 if you are already venturing around the 15G mark? I am thinking about getting that or a Im Nuvo 14 but I like the cube better. I am currently using the Hipargero on a spec v which I would probably move over and test once I upgrade but for the spec v it has been a great light. 

@AnotherBotDown I decided to go with the waterbox cube 10 because the "plus" bundle comes with an AI Prime and gooseneck so it's a good deal. I was thinking about the cube 15 because I like the size/shape but I think it's been discontinued or something because it's hard to find. A smaller size also means easier water changes though so I'm ok with just 10 gallons.