ReefCleaners.org

Refractometer question?

justinkdenny

justinkdenny

Do you have to recalibrate your refractometer every time you test your water.  I have always used a hydrometer so I'm new to the refractometer.   I calibrated it yesterday and mixed salt for my new tank.  Tank was showing about 1.028 so I started taking out saltwater and replacing with fresh.  I got it about where I wanted it.  Today i decided to see if the calibration was still at 0 and when i tested it it was like +0.005.  I recalibrated it to 0 and tested my water and now I'm reading 1.022 since I water changed with fresh.

No - you shouldn't need to recalibrate very often at all. Two things you should do is calibrate with 35ppt calibration fluid (more accurate than RODI to 0) and make sure your calibration fluid is the exact same temperature as your tank when you calibrate. Temperature has a large affect on specific gravity.

Once it's calibrated, spot check it every few months unless something seems off.

• Like 1

I posted the same question awhile back and I use calibration fluid to check mine weekly.  My refractometer often needs adjustment each week and I usually only use the refractometer on the weekends prior to the water change.  

• Like 2
justinkdenny
17 minutes ago, RemoGaggi said:

I posted the same question awhile back and I use calibration fluid to check mine weekly.  My refractometer often needs adjustment each week and I usually only use the refractometer on the weekends prior to the water change.  

Thanks RemoGaggi

I check mine weekly with 35ppt calibration fluid, found it more accurate than distilled/rodi.

I rarely need to calibrate it, every few months.  

I use brightwell calibration fluid. Shake it, drop on refractometer lens, wait a few seconds for temp adjustment, check. 

All refractometer are different. Some require the temp to be precise others have a wider range of reading salinity in various temps.

Some lose calibration quickly, others not so much.

I calibrate with 35ppt solution. Then I use the calibrated refractometer to calibrate my hydrometer 🤣🤣 Its just more convenient to use for me.