Innovative Marine Aquariums

Just When I Thought I was Out...

fearThezoe

THEY PULL ME BACK IN!

Hi NR!

I started keeping reef tanks in 09, and had one up until 2014, when I bought my first house. Taking apart the old tank was sad, but I found some really good homes for everything except my lil True Perc, Merlin (now Merlene, obv). I kept Merly with me in a FOWLR setup in a spare bedroom, but just did the bare-minimum with water changes only. I started feeling bad for Merly, and was about to rehome her, when I got the itch to reef again.

It hit me HARD.

So now I'm cycling a Reefer 170 with the intention of keeping a mixed reef.

The notable equipment is:

NanoBox Duo Plus M

2 MP40wQDs (running at super low power on the back wall)

Aquamaxx WS1

Smart ATO Micro

DD Acrylics 5gal reservoir

Pre-wet sump before heaters and ATO replacement:

8LcGsgd.thumb.jpg.1a9fa8baeb1bad383bb123a740c2af69.jpg

Wet sump! The heater wires will be moved to the inkbird temperature controller when I trust they've been calibrated. Should look a lot tidier in there soon:

20190615_210538.thumb.jpg.8037e277edb435da4c4096ca7048111b.jpg

Thar she be! Really looking forward to finishing the cycle and giving Merly a new home:

20190620_150906.thumb.jpg.39062707606e114890015f9d257e2c04.jpg

20190620_150911.thumb.jpg.caff02a0c15f8cbaeddea85f16460cc2.jpg

Thanks for looking, and I hope to shoot the breeze with all of you in the future!

• Like 4
  • Wow 1
4 minutes ago, fearThezoe said:

THEY PULL ME BACK IN!

Hi NR!

I started keeping reef tanks in 09, and had one up until 2014, when I bought my first house. Taking apart the old tank was sad, but I found some really good homes for everything except my lil True Perc, Merlin (now Merlene, obv). I kept Merly with me in a FOWLR setup in a spare bedroom, but just did the bare-minimum with water changes only. I started feeling bad for Merly, and was about to rehome her, when I got the itch to reef again.

It hit me HARD.

So now I'm cycling a Reefer 170 with the intention of keeping a mixed reef.

The notable equipment is:

NanoBox Duo Plus M

2 MP40wQDs (running at super low power on the back wall)

Aquamaxx WS1

Smart ATO Micro

DD Acrylics 5gal reservoir

Pre-wet sump before heaters and ATO replacement:

8LcGsgd.thumb.jpg.1a9fa8baeb1bad383bb123a740c2af69.jpg

Wet sump! The heater wires will be moved to the inkbird temperature controller when I trust they've been calibrated. Should look a lot tidier in there soon:

20190615_210538.thumb.jpg.8037e277edb435da4c4096ca7048111b.jpg

Thar she be! Really looking forward to finishing the cycle and giving Merly a new home:

20190620_150906.thumb.jpg.39062707606e114890015f9d257e2c04.jpg

20190620_150911.thumb.jpg.caff02a0c15f8cbaeddea85f16460cc2.jpg

Thanks for looking, and I hope to shoot the breeze with all of you in the future!

Welcome 😊

i love the white stands!

• Thanks 1
19 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Welcome 😊

i love the white stands!

Thank you!

So do I! It's a big upgrade from my old sump-less wonder, with every HOB the thin glass could handle! 😅

tank-lip.jpg.c95100e1c756122ef257ec027f07fb7d.jpg

9 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Can’t wait to see how it turns out!!

Wait...Handey and Monty??? You have taste and lots of it!

Thanks!

• Like 2
1 minute ago, ninjamyst said:

such a clean build!  

That's very kind of you! Thank you!

I'm fretting over the hanging heater wires, but you've made me fell better. 😊

Welcome to N-R! :welcome: Looks like an amazing rig you've got going! If your previous setup is any indication, I am sure it will look gorgeous a few months down the road.

Those dual MP40s though! 😂 What's the RSR170, like 35 gallons? You could have 150x turnover in there if you wanted to! That's some SPS-flesh-shredding flow right there. 😎

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, billygoat said:

Welcome to N-R! :welcome: Looks like an amazing rig you've got going! If your previous setup is any indication, I am sure it will look gorgeous a few months down the road.

Those dual MP40s though! 😂 What's the RSR170, like 35 gallons? You could have 150x turnover in there if you wanted to! That's some SPS-flesh-shredding flow right there. 😎

Thanks for the warm welcome and kind words!

Believe it or not, I used to run two mp40s on my old 29gal - settings bottomed-out, of course. My duncans actually seemed to like it!

I feel with my chunky rockscape, and the placement of the MPs on the back glass, I will have some areas of LPS-safe flow. SPS? Well, they will have to deal with it, lol. But as with all things in the hobby: time will tell!

• Like 1

Welcome @fearThezoe . . . I must say - what a neat and organized build! Great job with sump and all the wiring. Pretty great start! Looking forward to see how it looks once all stocked up!!!

• Thanks 1
31 minutes ago, Krish87 said:

Welcome @fearThezoe . . . I must say - what a neat and organized build! Great job with sump and all the wiring. Pretty great start! Looking forward to see how it looks once all stocked up!!!

Thank you, Krish! 

After having everything HOB, I wanted to make sure I could actually access things without having to remove something else first. Fingers crossed!

• Like 1

Looks great!! That clown was probably giving you those eyes and wiggles and maybe some 'love' bites? Now she has a nice new home. 

My clowns were the one fish I kept when moved as well. Not even my top fish but something about them. Maybe because I had them as tiny babies idk....

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Looks great!! That clown was probably giving you those eyes and wiggles and maybe some 'love' bites? Now she has a nice new home. 

My clowns were the one fish I kept when moved as well. Not even my top fish but something about them. Maybe because I had them as tiny babies idk....

Thank you!

For sure, she's a little nibbler, haha! Still pokes her head out of the water when she knows it's feeding time, that little gremlin. You're right on there being something about clowns. For me, the big part was knowing the potential lifespan of my little one, and not wanting to miss out on it.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2019 at 9:19 AM, Christopher Marks said:

Hows your nano reef coming along @fearThezoe? That’s a great setup!

Oh, hey! Thank you!

I was intermittently out-of-town so I haven't settled down to take a picture of the progress!

The tank has cycled and I moved our little clown over. After a month, I figured it was safe to find her a lil man so she wouldn't be so lonely. At first, I was dead-set on getting another perc, but I fell in love with a very dark Fancy Oc. They immediately paired. In fact, I only saw him have to twitch twice in the first hour. After that, she was letting him follow her everywhere, and she even started following him when he ventured to a different corner.

Two weeks ago, I added a skunk cleaner for some eye candy. I will probably stop stocking there until another few months. Hoping to get the first coral in there around December. I am playing the looooong game.

Added an ApexEL and the WXM module for the vortechs. Very happy with it.

Currently am waiting on the parts to get here for my refugium conversion of the old RedSea ATO.

Oh yeah, here's the tank:20190825_203614.thumb.jpg.f0da1f7124b36e1a599d1b147fadd71f.jpg

😁

• Like 1