Pod Your Reef

Automatic Top-off units

robitreef

Hello All, 

I purchased an AutoAqua Smart ATO a few months ago and it appears the pump has burned out.  I read a few more reviews and this sounds like a common issue.  Not sure if I want to deal with the pain of going through the warranty process, and will just cut my losses.  Anyway, have you had any better experience with the other models out there such as Tunze, Hydor, etc?

Thanks

Paleoreef103

Tunze Osmolator is the gold standard of ATOs. Never heard of one failing "on" which is the way that you get an overflowing tank. The product has been on the market for over a decade and it's still the most reliable and recommended ATO. This is because it will only run for a couple of minutes at a time (about a half a gallon max) and if it hits that maximum run time it will turn off until you unplug it and then plug it back in. It will run for about a second every few minutes in this state which won't dispense water, but it will make a noise every few minutes telling you there is a problem. This will also alert you if your ATO reservoir runs dry. I've been running the nano version which is less beloved and lacks the optical sensor for about 8 years now and the only hiccups I've had with it is it failing "off" a couple of times in that 8 years that was remedied by unplugging it and plugging it back in. I'm still using the original pump for it as well. The replacement pumps are easy to install and cheap if yours does go.

If you have a controller, like an Apex, you can buy a breakout box and create your own.  That way you just replace float valves and pumps instead of entire systems.  😊

FlytheWMark

I have the Tunze nano, it's ok, not sure I recommend it though.  The float got stuck somehow a couple of times within the first 2 months and over filled (no spillage though). It, however, has worked perfectly for the last 4 months though but the float just makes me nervous.  I have a reminder set to check it once a month.

I bought the Hydro Smart for my 10 gallon.  It works with a sensor and has a hard cut off if the water hits the top sensor to prevent overfilling.  Because of the location of this tank (and my wife) this was a requirement as I cannot risk any overflow on this one.  The problem with this one is that it has an min run time (cant remember how much).  So it would always run till it hit the sensor (10 gallon's dont need much) then the alarm goes off and you have to reset the unit.  I've gotten around this by clipping the hose to slow the rate of water coming into the system.  That's worked pretty well but it still triggers every once and a while.

In my opinion there just isn't a "perfect" solution for small nano's out there.

Thanks for everyone's input.  I did a little more analysis of my issue and it turns out my sensor had some crud on it, that must have impeded the ability for the pump to turn on.  Once I removed and cleaned the sensor, it resumed functioning.  I may pick up a spare pump however, so we'll see if my initial observation was really premature.