Pod Your Reef

Bubble scrubbing

Qball77

Does anyone bubble scrub anymore? I’ve been watching videos online about it but most are a year or two old. Just curious if there’s any more research being done or if it’s an old “fad”. 

In my 2.5 gallon Pico, when I do water changes, the HOB filter draws in a lot of air, and results in a "bubble scrub" that lasts the duration o my water change.  Or alternatively, when I don't top off for 3-4 days, it achieves the same effect. During the water changes, it maybe lasts 15 minutes tops, but I was just on vacation for a week where my tank was circulating micro bubbles for a day or longer...and it had no ill effect on the corals. They do seem to enjoy it after the fact, but that could also be the fresh water I add during a water change. Although it's never an intentional bubble scrub, and almost always the side effect of doing a water change.

I am curious to see i this is still something people practice as well. I never get scum on my surface really.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
On 6/20/2019 at 2:21 AM, Qball77 said:

Does anyone bubble scrub anymore? I’ve been watching videos online about it but most are a year or two old. Just curious if there’s any more research being done or if it’s an old “fad”. 

One of the strangest fads to come and go from the hobby IMO.  Seemed to come straight out of the blue sky -- from nowhere and for no reason. 😄

• Like 1