Cultivated Reef

Imagitarium 6.8 Gallon AIO

Trini_Reefer

Trini_Reefer

Hey fellow reefers,

Taking a plunge here to get back into the saltwater aquarium hobby.  I've had a 20L and a 40B with 20H sump in the past.  Still have a lot of my equipment and will put some of it to good use on this build.  I recently purchased an Imagitarium 6.8 gallon AIO from Petco.  Got it home unboxed and ran a leak test for the past two days.  I'm already getting the itch to drill this thing because I just realized that due to the lower holes in the overflow system, surface skimming in none existent.  Anyone know of any hacks to get this thing to surface skim?  I'm thinking I may have to plug the lower holes but don't have a good idea at the moment on how to accomplish that.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Trini_Reefer said:

Hey fellow reefers,

Taking a plunge here to get back into the saltwater aquarium hobby.  I've had a 20L and a 40B with 20H sump in the past.  Still have a lot of my equipment and will put some of it to good use on this build.  I recently purchased an Imagitarium 6.8 gallon AIO from Petco.  Got it home unboxed and ran a leak test for the past two days.  I'm already getting the itch to drill this thing because I just realized that due to the lower holes in the overflow system, surface skimming in none existent.  Anyone know of any hacks to get this thing to surface skim?  I'm thinking I may have to plug the lower holes but don't have a good idea at the moment on how to accomplish that.

I own this tank, and I upgraded the return pump on it. Then I removed the biological and carbon filters, and it now draws from both the top and the bottom intake holes. But you can plug the lower on it to a certain degree to encourage the top holes to skim more than the lower ones.

And welcome to Nano Reef!

:welcome:

Trini_Reefer
6 hours ago, MetaTank said:

I own this tank, and I upgraded the return pump on it. Then I removed the biological and carbon filters, and it now draws from both the top and the bottom intake holes. But you can plug the lower on it to a certain degree to encourage the top holes to skim more than the lower ones.

And welcome to Nano Reef!

:welcome:

Thanks Meta......I threw in a bigger pump, pulled out all the filtration and lowered the water height a bit and boom!!!! Surface skimming is now present.  My only beef now is that all the surface gunk sits at the top of the two triangles where the the sponges are supposed to sit......hmmmmmmm.

3 hours ago, Trini_Reefer said:

Thanks Meta......I threw in a bigger pump, pulled out all the filtration and lowered the water height a bit and boom!!!! Surface skimming is now present.  My only beef now is that all the surface gunk sits at the top of the two triangles where the the sponges are supposed to sit......hmmmmmmm.

I put just a tiny bit of filter floss back there near the surface. Not enough to restrict water flow, but enough to catch that junk before it accumulates. Change the floss at least once a week if you can.

• Like 1
Trini_Reefer

Anyone happen to know is the back glass on these tanks are tempered????  The back glass is tinted so I can't do the ole cellphone test and sunglasses test.

1 minute ago, Trini_Reefer said:

Anyone happen to know is the back glass on these tanks are tempered????  The back glass is tinted so I can't do the ole cellphone test and sunglasses test.

I have no idea...You thinking of drilling it?

Trini_Reefer

I was thinking about it but in hindsight I think I'll return it and go back to the drawing board.  I love the rimless look of this thank and the thickness of the glass but I can't get over the awkwardness of the the overflow.  Probably awesome for fresh water though.  

Yeah, it wasn't the greatest design, and I think Petco stopped stocking them as well, as I haven't seen ANY in the 7 or 8 Petcos I've been to. But I just pointed a powerhead at the surface and it's been a great tank for me so far. Sorry you cant get past the overflow issue, hopefully they take it back considering it's already filled once.

1 hour ago, Trini_Reefer said:

Yeah, I hope they do.  If not I guess i’ll Be modding the sh!t out of it. 😂😂

You could always get a clear piece of acrylic, and cover thew bottom intake holes with a little sheet of plastic. Then use the stock return pump and slap a powerhead or wavemaker in the display. There are plenty of options on how to make this tank work. But I hope they just take it back for you.

Trini_Reefer

Hahahaha couldn’t risk putting your life in danger.  I actually just returned the tank last night.  Back to the drawing board to find something more suitable.  

• Like 2
  • 7 months later...