Innovative Marine Aquariums

To those doubting your Duncans!

ReeferWade

To anyone doubting their Duncan coral, I thought these were dead. They have been closed up for a month or more and unhappy. Yesterday and today they have opened back up and even have two new heads. Just have patience and they'll come around!

Duncan1.jpeg.9ca8aa24bd85e6e3ad8d449182015fed.jpeg

564638241_Duncan2.jpeg.8756332ab78ea5fe53e3803655f09aaf.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
FlytheWMark

I find Duncan's maddening honestly.  When they are going good, they grow like crazy, when they are not they are like spoiled pouting children.  Flow seems to be the thing that mine whine about the most.  

• Haha 1
58 minutes ago, Mark L. said:

I find Duncan's maddening honestly.  When they are going good, they grow like crazy, when they are not they are like spoiled pouting children.  Flow seems to be the thing that mine whine about the most.  

What kind of flow do they not like? I have mine in pretty chaotic flow and looks good. Is low flow not ideal for duncans? I was thinking about moving them.

fishkeepersaltnfresh

My duncan was one of my 1st corals ever. in my old tank, there was not much flow and they thrived. In my upgraded tank, there is lot of flow and they are doing excellent. In my experience, flow does not seem to affect Duncan.

• Like 1

Mine are in low flow and are loving life.  I bought mine home on 5/25 and it has produced 12 new baby heads since then.  It is quickly outgrowing its space and I am going to have to rescape just to give it more room.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Wingy said:

FYI I feed it a mix of Seachem Phyto, Brightwell Zooplankton and Reef-Roids  and do a 50% to 80% water change each week

50-80%?!?

My duncans close from time to time. I had my larger colony close for about a week recently, and now it's inflated more than ever. I think Duncans are the Emo kids of the reef...If you don't pay attention to them, they go cry in the corner, but when they are acting normally, they're pretty easy to ignore...lol

1 hour ago, ReeferWade said:

50-80%?!?

48 minutes ago, Wingy said:

My tank is 2.5 gallons empty.  A 50% water change is less than a gallon.  😀

+1

Yeah man, we can do water changes with a measuring cup. :happydance:

• Like 1
FlytheWMark
16 hours ago, Variant said:

What kind of flow do they not like? I have mine in pretty chaotic flow and looks good. Is low flow not ideal for duncans? I was thinking about moving them.

Honestly I find it depends on the Duncan.  I have one if the flow is not just right it closes up.  I can move it just slightly in the tank which changes the flow just a little and he gets pissy and closes for days.  I move him back, he opens up.  I have another one in my 20 gallon who likes good flow and has put on 5 heads in about 7 months.  I personally don't think they are beginner corals for that reason.

• Like 2