inTank Media Baskets

Coral tips/advice

Puggles

Hello guys, i just wanted to seek advice. I have purchased this coral a couple of months ago, yet after a couple of months it constantly looks stressed. I am curious if you guys have experience with this particular coral or have any tips for taking care of it. The reason why i am so surprised is recently, my duncan coral has been growing a new head and my green star polpys have been doing good. I am curious if there is a reef pest i am not seeing or the parameters isn't correct. 

20190613_203937.jpg

20181205_154506.jpg

Is the top picture current and the bottom one from before? IF so... The Zoanthids and Palythoas aren't receding so that's a good sign, but it does look like something is growing on them . They may benefit from an iodine dip, or you could try relocating them to different flow/lighting to see if that helps. There are "bugs that will eat your Zoas/Palys but I really don't see any sign of that

• Like 3

They look to be stretching for light, were they always long?

Looks like algae ang possibly detritus around them. Try using a Turkey baster to blow off the debris. 

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Was doing some experimenting with the rock and had it placed really high. After a couple of days i think its starting to regain its color. My parameters that i am able to get are 1580-1600 Mg, 500 calcium, 9.8 dkh, .2-.5 phosphate. Will also be doing a dip using seachem dip and seeing how that will effect it. 

20190625_133505.jpg

20190627_140929.jpg

20190627_140946.jpg

On 6/18/2019 at 8:59 PM, Clown79 said:

They look to be stretching for light, were they always long?

Looks like algae ang possibly detritus around them. Try using a Turkey baster to blow off the debris. 

Definitely not this long! I will use that advice and use a pipette to blow it off though :>! 

On 6/18/2019 at 1:39 PM, Pjanssen said:

Is the top picture current and the bottom one from before? IF so... The Zoanthids and Palythoas aren't receding so that's a good sign, but it does look like something is growing on them . They may benefit from an iodine dip, or you could try relocating them to different flow/lighting to see if that helps. There are "bugs that will eat your Zoas/Palys but I really don't see any sign of that

Indeed! The top is the current and the bottom is technically when i first got it. And i did notice the sort of white dots on it over time and was curious what that was. O_O

On 6/18/2019 at 1:38 PM, Ratvan said:

They look to me like they need more light, that's how my Green Implosion Palys looked.

Also if you suspect a pest an iodine based dip usually perks them up. Even as a preventative

Was curious what type of lighting would be good? I am currently using a coralife t5 fixtures with 2 actinic bulbs? :3

• Like 1
On 6/28/2019 at 7:03 AM, Puggles said:

Was curious what type of lighting would be good? I am currently using a coralife t5 fixtures with 2 actinic bulbs? :3

I can only assume the lighting is fine as have seen zoas prosper under those in other reefers tanks and in some LFS nearby.

Some Zoas are just a PITA, they're listed as beginner corals but some definately are not. Especially with pests and diseases taken into account.

The white dots could be anything really, some incorporate sand into the structure when they grow. Zoa pox starts as white dots (not like those on yours) but rapidly progresses. They do seem to look a bit better higher. Maybe see if you can get a frag rack as high as you can to the water line and place them their and adjust downwards if you need too.