fishkeepersaltnfresh

4th Fish

fishkeepersaltnfresh

Hello, 

I recently upgraded to 20G long. Apart from corals & CUC, following are my current livestock:

1 Percula Clownfish ( since 9/2/2017) 

1 Yellow Watchman Goby (since 9/9/2017)

1 Kupang Damsel (since 2/22/2019)

I am planning to add a 4th (& final) fish to my 20G long. My desire is to have a fish that will swim in the open actively. Can someone suggest any fish that will go with my current livestock?

I was thinking of some pygmy angelfish.....

Humblefish

IMO; a Pygmy (Cherub) Angelfish would be OK in just a 20. However, he may nip on your corals a little.

A small Flasher Wrasse (e.g. McCosker's, Carpenter's) would be more reef safe. A Basslet would also work, but those tend to hide sometimes.

• Thanks 1

fishkeepersaltnfresh

I am a bit more inclined towards angelfish .... but would go for Wrasse if I get something locally.

Pjanssen

My concern would be that your clown that has been in there for almost two years would be very aggressive toward an angle. I'd go with something that can swim fast enough and be small enough to get and stay out of her way. Maybe a neon or shark nose goby. There are some cool Blennies that will perch on top of your rocks too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Melfy77

Yeah that clown might give you a hard time. I have a Carpenter's wrasse and really like that fish! Super peaceful, bright colors, swims around but hides when I get too close lol.

• Thanks 1

FLARGUE

I have a similar setup with a 20 long and a clownfish. Other inhabitants are a firefish, clown goby, and finally the chromis. I recommend any of them, but the chromis is a great, affordable addition that swims all over and can avoid clownfish harassment with it's speed.

• Thanks 1

fishkeepersaltnfresh

Thanks everyone. I agree on chromis but was looking for something with more color... Heart is set on an angelfish.... Might settle on wrasse....

I guess sixline is out of question....

I used to have TSB, but he liked to hide....which is exactly why my YWG does....

Hence looking for a fish which would like to swim openly.... The clown never leaves the Duncan coral. At max, it swims 3 inches away from it.

Matteo

midas blenny maybe?  Hide in rock but come out and swim a decent amount also. Otherwise get a pair of azure damsels. GREAT Color and nicer of the damsels 

• Like 1

fishkeepersaltnfresh
Posted (edited)

This is why I need an active fish. My tank looks devoid of life.

20190618_194320.jpg

Edited by fishkeepersaltnfresh
  • Like 1

Tamberav

That rock structure doesn't look very angelfish friendly. 

Might be why some of your more timid fish hid too or they just don't like having to deal with damsels.

• Thanks 1

Snow_Phoenix

You might need more rock cover if you plan on adding a fourth, active swimmer like a wrasse (look into pygmy or pink streaked wrasses - they're small, vibrant and nano-friendly) but if you are retaining that scape, then it is best you do a sand-dweller (hi-fin/yasha/YWG) or a percher (TSB/GCG/YCG/neon goby) etc. The damsel or/and clown may give problems to the new fish though, since they are more established and can be territorial. 

• Like 2

Pjanssen

Your torch will eventually grow and add some height and movement. A hammer would also do well in there and add some height and movement, as would many of the Euphilia. If you are set on an angel, then I would introduce her slowly by keeping her separated by some sort of partition, maybe a large breeder box would work for awhile.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

fishkeepersaltnfresh

Hmmm.... I am not planning to add any more rocks (for time being). Plan was to have open space so that I can have an active swimmer.

Tamberav
1 hour ago, fishkeepersaltnfresh said:

Hmmm.... I am not planning to add any more rocks (for time being). Plan was to have open space so that I can have an active swimmer.

Angels should be housed with plenty of rock and caves. They are not open water swimmers in that sense...they are just active swimmers. They stick to the rock and peck at it constantly for algae and sponges.

If you look up dwarf angelfish you will see it repeated again on websites to have plenty of rock. Without it the angelfish will not feel safe and it would be unnatural habitat for it.

They graze and forage a lot on the aquarium’s rockwork, so tend to fare best in established tanks of at least 200 l/44 gal with plenty of live rock to replicate the reef’s rubble zone. Arranging rock into caves will give the angel plenty of valuable cover. In fact, the more it has the more the fish should be assured and visible in the aquarium.

• Like 1

fishkeepersaltnfresh
4 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Angels should be housed with plenty of rock and caves. They are not open water swimmers in that sense...they are just active swimmers. They stick to the rock and peck at it constantly for algae and sponges.

If you look up dwarf angelfish you will see it repeated again on websites to have plenty of rock. Without it the angelfish will not feel safe and it would be unnatural habitat for it.

They graze and forage a lot on the aquarium’s rockwork, so tend to fare best in established tanks of at least 200 l/44 gal with plenty of live rock to replicate the reef’s rubble zone. Arranging rock into caves will give the angel plenty of valuable cover. In fact, the more it has the more the fish should be assured and visible in the aquarium.

Thanks for this. I will look at other options....

• Like 1

Tamberav
2 hours ago, fishkeepersaltnfresh said:

Thanks for this. I will look at other options....

Other ideas are a midas blenny (perches but also swims, especially when hungry/begging), fang blennies (always out swimming unless asleep), and certain wrasses (s small flasher is an open water swimmer). 

My only concern is the damsel, sometimes an established damsel will pester other fish to death. So you may have to swap him if it doesn't work out. 

• Like 1

fishkeepersaltnfresh
Posted (edited)

Might go for a wrasse or a gramma. I had a TSB. Loved him. Got YWG as my cryptic fish...

Rearranged the rocks a bit. Resulted in YWG & Kupanf exchanging their den.

20190619_192925.jpg

Edited by fishkeepersaltnfresh

fishkeepersaltnfresh

Got a firefish.... (3rd attempt with it)

20190623_105438.jpg

Matteo
2 hours ago, fishkeepersaltnfresh said:

Got a firefish.... (3rd attempt with it)

20190623_105438.jpg

Nice. 3rd?

• Thanks 1

fishkeepersaltnfresh
51 minutes ago, OverCookedRock said:

Nice. 3rd?

Yup. Have lost twice previously....  I was so close to picking up a neon dottyback, then walked away. Went back again to pick a blue velvet damsel, walked away again. finally picked firefish after contemplating about royal gramma...

Matteo

I was debating adding a royal gramma but I'm at 5 fish in my 40. They're all small tho... 

fishkeepersaltnfresh

Royal Gramma should be good....

• Like 1

Tamberav
3 hours ago, OverCookedRock said:

I was debating adding a royal gramma but I'm at 5 fish in my 40. They're all small tho... 

kinda? My royal gramma is as big as my adult female perc

• Like 1

Matteo
15 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

kinda? My royal gramma is as big as my adult female perc

True. I'll probably leave the tank at 5

• Like 1