Cultivated Reef

Best nano algae grazers below 70 gallons?

ThatNewGuyReefing

ThatNewGuyReefing

Are there any nano fish that act like tangs when it comes to constantly eating algae like film, hair, bryopsis, and bubble. Was thinking guppies and mollies would do the same jobs but I found mixed reviews.

My starry blenny is a grazer too, but he loves to eat frozen meaty foods like mysis and brine. I doubt he would actually be much help with an algae problem though. 

Most blennies graze, lawnmower and starry blenny especially known to eat lots of algae. Not sure about bubble, green emeralds may eat it though. 

• Like 1
Snow_Phoenix

Most blennies graze on microalgae, especially combtooth species. There are quite a number of inverts that tackle various sorts of algae. I have a tuxedo urchin in my 60G and he does an excellent job at eradicating any remnants of hair, turf and film algae that sometimes hitchikes on my new coral frags (mostly on the plugs). The only annoying thing is that he runs off with my corals sometimes. Fancies himself a hat of my fav. zoas when I am not looking. 🙄

• Haha 3