Jkillian87

Just getting into sw picked up JBJ MT-50 nano cube 24

Jkillian87

So for starters I’m 31 and I have done the freshwater tanks since I was a kid I’ve done a ton of research and watched a ton of videos on doing nano salt waters and other kind a nano tanks. Well flipping through Facebook marketplace someone in my area posted a JBJ nano Cube 24 gallon.  They said they only used it for three months and decided to upgrade to a larger of a tank because they are dealing with seahorses I only paid $75 for the tank and stand.  I’ve been trying to do my research on this tank since I picked it up and inside the tank where there should be fluorescent lights there are actually LED tubes.  Each tube is 10 W and putting out 320 lm  they also are mostly white with some blue added in.  What I am looking for is help with determining what I am actually going to be able to do with this tank on a lower end budget mainly reef with a few little fish most likely going to be stereotypical and go with clowns. Any help would be great. 

colinadam

My first ever tank was a JBJ 24g, back with the CF lights, then flipped to a 28g with the Metal Halide lighting (I'm dating myself with that reference). 

Plan out your back chambers. You will want the first thing that the water hits to be filter floss to catch particulates. After that you can do some bag media like Chemipure and Purigen (my personal faves). Plan on a good heater, dont cheap out on that, get a good branded one. 

Think about your water source. Can go LFS if they sell mixed saltwater or you have to invest in an RODI and mix your own. A refractometer is also a worthy investment, I suggest one that has a led light on it, makes reading it easy. 

Tons of fish options in that size, just make sure they all play well. Plenty of inexpensive fish choices. 

Located close to a big city? Try to find a local reef club, good way to meet people, swap frags, get help, etc. 

Good luck, and welcome to the hobby!

• Like 1

748S911

Have pic of led set up?  I would toss the light it came with and go for these two things first. For pump jebao sw4 for 50, and light people love the asta 20 for 45 , and hipargeo led is popular for 60. This is the best for super cheap lighting and flow. With this you should be good to go, and be able keep most all corals and have a happy reef without upgrading for sometime. 

Cycling your new set up should take around a month before you add fish or coral. 

Best thing to remember in this hobby is take your time. Remember to keep up with topping off your water to keep salinity params stable.  Water changes weekly, and maintain temp around 77-79. 

Gravity

If you haven’t done so yet I highly recommend bulkreefsupplies 52 weeks of reefing on YouTube. It contains pretty much everything you need to know to get started. 

• Like 1

Pjanssen

with stock led's you'll be able to keep most softies-mushrooms, zoanthids etc. Maybe some Acan lords. I even had some euphilia (hammers) with stock cfls that did fine. Good luck and welcome to the community

Matteo
Posted (edited)

Oops wrong thread! 

Edited by OverCookedRock
Wrong thread
  • Haha 1

MetaTank

While I love the Asta20 light for my 2.5 gallon Pico, I wouldn't use it in a tank that is deeper than 8-10 inches. I do however think the Hipargero "Aqua knight A029" would work or this size tank...barely. I own both lights, and have the Aqua Knight on my 7 gallon cube. I run it at 50% blue, and 10% white, and have a mixed reef under it. You could also use a Chinese "black box". Some are dimmable and come with built in timers, but they DO grow corals, even if you dont exactly love the spectrum it produces. As for the built in LEDs, you could probably just use them for many species of corals, a lot of soft corals, some LPS, and select species of lower light SPS as well. Would be great to find the PAR info on the lighting on one of these tanks.

As for the Jebao SW4...I own the SW2 and use it in the 7 gallon cube, and I agree that the SW4 would be a great addition to low in a 24 gallon cube. It is a low cost powerhead with some MINOR controls that let you select intensity of flow, flow pattern, and the speed of the "pulse rate" as it turns on and off in the wavemaker mode