ReefCleaners.org

Nano Anemone - Setup Options

Gravity

Considering options for a nano tank setup with a pair of clownfish, bubble tip anemone and CUC. 

My current idea is a 16 gal Biocube with light upgrade (Steve’s/NanoBox LED).  Saw a few post that may suggest this is too small. What do you all think?

19 minutes ago, Natereef said:

bubble tips get big, up to a foot across. Thats probably gonna take up your entire tank space once it grows bigger.

Shallow water BTAs get 12 inches in diameter.  Deep water BTAs can get up to 20 inches in diameter.

Gravity -  I would definitely not recommend putting any BTA in a 16 gallon aquarium.  Not enough room for them to grow and thrive.  If you are dead set on a BTA...plan your setup accordingly.  

Just now, Gravity said:

Hmm, would there be a smaller anemone that would host Ocellaris and be better suited for a small tank?

Not that I'm aware of.  All of the host anemones get large.  There is also no guarantee that the Ocellaris clownfish will host the anemones either.   Some will...some never do.

On a side note:  Some people have clownfish hosting various types of corals.  That might be an option for a small tank.

5 minutes ago, jfalkartist said:

Not that I'm aware of.  All of the host anemones get large.  There is also no guarantee that the Ocellaris clownfish will host the anemones either.   Some will...some never do.

On a side note:  Some people have clownfish hosting various types of corals.  That might be an option for a small tank.

What would an acceptable tank size be? 30/40 gallon?

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, Gravity said:

What would an acceptable tank size be? 30/40 gallon?

A 40 breeder would be a good start.  36" x 18"...a big footprint with a low profile for ease of lighting.  If you wait for Petco to have their $1.00 per gallon sale...you can get one for $49.99 + tax as they are 50% off regular price.

Also keep in mind that if you decide to go with BTAs they are prone to splitting (multiplying).   1 becomes 2, 2 becomes 4, etc...the more room you have to begin with the better.  

• Like 1

If you get a clown that wants to host .. the little guy will just about host anything whether you like it or not lol I have had one that loved my gonipora and my new one wont get out of my torch 😡

15607308926997105821879048756578.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
27 minutes ago, jfalkartist said:

A 40 breeder would be a good start.  36" x 18"...a big footprint with a low profile for ease of lighting.  If you wait for Petco to have their $1.00 per gallon sale...you can get one for $40.00 + tax.

Also keep in mind that if you decide to go with BTAs they are prone to splitting (multiplying).   1 becomes 2, 2 becomes 4, etc...the more room you have to begin with the better.  

Pet supplies plus has 40 gallons for 49.95 right now, that would be a good size to start a bubble tip tank.  Also make sure your power heads have anemone guards on them so they don’t get sucked in.

• Like 1

Yeah they get big but it takes time. You can always frag once it gets too big people haha 😂 

As a BTA and clownfish tank only you're totally fine but I would really try and go a bit bigger like a 20-30g if you can. 16g is fine though as long as only two fish in tank and nem. 

• Like 1

Go for it....you’ll be fine I kept a BTA and clown pair in an 8 gallon...I’ve had this anemone going on 13 years...yeah they can get big but that takes time. The bio cube is a perfect tank for what you want to do if you want to stay small. Light upgrade is definitely something you’d need to do though. 

6880F3AA-F144-4B0F-AB83-259ED9395A19.jpeg

• Like 6
27 minutes ago, OverCookedRock said:

Yeah they get big but it takes time. You can always frag once it gets too big people haha 😂 

As a BTA and clownfish tank only you're totally fine but I would really try and go a bit bigger like a 20-30g if you can. 16g is fine though as long as only two fish in tank and nem. 

That’s kinda what I’m looking for.  Just a nem with clown pair. Preferably in some kind of aio with a decent light. So something like a jbj 24/28, Biocube 28/32,  IM 25/30, RedSea 34 or Waterbox 20/30 would suffice. 

In the 40 gal range I feel like it gets too big. Would probably need a sump. Would you be able to keep like 8 clownfish or would they fight?

Clownfish are damsels and will fight. 

I currently have 4 azure damsels in my new 40 build and had to make sure each one had its own hiding spot. 

With clowns they pair up and claim the Tank. ESPECIALLY if there in a nem. They will bite the shit out of you for that nem. 

Clowns love nems, nem is life, nem is love. Ya dig? 

• Like 2

Check out the BRS clown fish harem. Not suggesting lots of clowns, but you can scale it down for your 16g. Don't think you need to limit yourself to one BTA, but be prepared to have a plan to offload them when they split. 

• Like 1

You can’t go wrong with an IM25/30 or water box version in that range.  That will be a great size tank not too big, not too small and be able to keep everyone happy for a long time. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Garf said:

Check out the BRS clown fish harem. Not suggesting lots of clowns, but you can scale it down for your 16g. Don't think you need to limit yourself to one BTA, but be prepared to have a plan to offload them when they split. 

Yeah, just watched all those today. Basically said to have a pair or 20+ clowns. Think the pair sounds more manageable. 

• Like 1

I have 2 bta's and rfa's in a 10g but I expect to upgrade eventually because they do get large.

So you can do it but at some point an upgrade will be needed.

• Like 2

Just because something can be done...doesn't mean it should be or that it's right for you or the anemone you are wanting to keep.    When I build a tank setup, I plan accordingly by taking into account what size the invert / fish / coral will be when full grown.  That just seems like common sense from my point of view.

You could take a human being and put them in a 6 foot x 6 foot x 6 foot box for their entire life...but that wouldn't make it right.  Most people would consider that inhumane.  

Be smart when you set up a tank and plan for long term success if you are serious about keeping a living creature for years to come...especially something that is estimated to live for over 80 years.

• Size of organism - inches: 12.0 inches (30.48 cm)
  • Lifespan: 100 years - Some anemones have been known to live 80 years or more in captivity, and hundreds of years in the wild.

http://animal-world.com/Aquarium-Coral-Reefs/Bubble-Tip-Anemone

• Like 1

In reality, even corals get large and need rehoming or fragging(some are easy to frag some not).

If one understands and is ready and willing to either upgrade or rehome corals/nems, I say go for it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, jfalkartist said:

Just because something can be done...doesn't mean it should be or that it's right for you or the anemone you are wanting to keep.    When I build a tank setup, I plan accordingly by taking into account what size the invert / fish / coral will be when full grown.  That just seems like common sense from my point of view.

You could take a human being and put them in a 6 foot x 6 foot x 6 foot box for their entire life...but that wouldn't make it right.  Most people would consider that inhumane.  

Be smart when you set up a tank and plan for long term success if you are serious about keeping a living creature for years to come...especially something that is estimated to live for over 80 years.

• Size of organism - inches: 12.0 inches (30.48 cm)
  • Lifespan: 100 years - Some anemones have been known to live 80 years or more in captivity, and hundreds of years in the wild.

http://animal-world.com/Aquarium-Coral-Reefs/Bubble-Tip-Anemone

Oh my God 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 You think nems are self aware? 

My plants are Hella pissed at me because they're not in a rainforest but in my apartment 😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 3
  • Thanks 2
3 minutes ago, OverCookedRock said:

Oh my God 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 You think nems are self aware? 

My plants are Hella pissed at me because they're not in a rainforest but in my apartment 😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣

Yes.😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1