Innovative Marine Aquariums

Can I go back and start over?

Juno

You can just wash the sand since you are trying to save money...people wash it with tap even.

If the sand is cloudy and dirty I would definitely pull it and rinse. You can save a cup of it unwashed to 'seed'.

1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

You can just wash the sand since you are trying to save money...people wash it with tap even.

If the sand is cloudy and dirty I would definitely pull it and rinse. You can save a cup of it unwashed to 'seed'.

I did rinse it a little. It looks fantastic. It’s clear and pretty. I was going to wait a few weeks to test it. Maybe I’ll go ahead and test it to see if it’s got crazy phosphates or nitrates? If not, could it maybe be ok?

6 minutes ago, Juno said:

I did rinse it a little. It looks fantastic. It’s clear and pretty. I was going to wait a few weeks to test it. Maybe I’ll go ahead and test it to see if it’s got crazy phosphates or nitrates? If not, could it maybe be ok?

Maybe the guy rinsed it when he took it out?

If it seems clean I would just wait then. Worst case it doesn't work and you have to pull it out later. Usually used sand is pretty gross but sounds like it might have been washed already.

7 hours ago, Juno said:

I do need to settle on a good light. The tank is 34 gal, 20 x 20 x 20. I do plan on attempting everything that would need good strong light. 

🤦🏽‍♂️I should of read up more, didn't realize it was a bigger tank

Alright...I got home from work today and siphoned out all the water. Man, the tank looked so beautiful, but I knew I had to get the old sand out. I pulled out all the water and then scooped out the sand. I got about 99% of it out. I added back in new and fresh Caribsea Bahama Oolite and now it's just a waiting game for the dust to settle. I also bought some biofuel and a large bio block at the recommendation of my LFS. Because I'm going for a super clean look and keeping my live rock and sand bed on the lower side of what's recommended for the tank size, I figured it was probably a good idea. 

I'm not in any rush, but figure I should be cycled in about a week and can start adding in a clean up crew. Honestly, once I get something living in there, I won't feel so motivated to stock fast or heavy. Any life form at all will be cool enough for me. The setup is so pretty in my living room and the sound of the trickling water is almost enough! I will forge ahead though, it'll be really pretty in a year or two. For now, I want to move slowly and stave off as much of the ugly algae as I can. I hate that "ugly tank" phase. 

If anyone has any advise on how to minimize the algae phase, I'm all ears. I think aquariums are either hideous or gorgeous with no in between. As a total design nerd, it hurts to think I'll have to deal with brown or red slime for more than a minute!

BehindGlass

The red slime algae normally forms in low flow areas.... so make sure you have good flow to all areas. At least that has been my past experience. 

The uglies are part of it. With the new sand you are likely to see a brown algae bloom on the sand and glass within the next 7-10 days. Also my experience. 

• Like 1

Oh, and now I'm researching getting a new return pump. It's pretty pitiful as is. I'll add a koralia to the display as well. I hope not to need 2. I think I position them competing, it will be enough.

Just checked my water parameters...ammonia =0, nitrites =0, nitrates = 0. Either I didn’t cycle because I used existing sand or I haven’t even started. Well give it another week. 

I know it’s the same photo over and over, and I fully recognize that there is nothing happening inside the box. But that doesn’t change my excitement over how cool it looks one bit!

5AB9E410-AAB2-44DF-B9A8-EE75C2AE58B4.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

We're taking off today for a couple of days, my husband is whisking me off to Sarasota for a few nights, and then two days after we get back we go to the beach for a week. I always have someone stay at the house to take care of all the animals because there are too many! We have 2 dogs, 2 cats, a parakeet, 2 geckos, a sugar glider and 4 chickens. Anyway, I'm sure I'm cycled now and as much as I love looking at a clean box of water, I want to start adding fish. I can wait till we get back from all our traveling, I guess...🙄. I know I want a shrimp/goby pair. I'm thinking about a high fin red banded goby and pistol shrimp. One of my kids wants a pair of clowns. I'll do 1, but I don't need 2. I also really like a starry blenny. So there's 3 fish. I want something that is super swimmy, since the goby and the blenny don't swim much and the clown will do it's weird wiggle in mostly one place.  Maybe something with color would be nice. My tank is 34 gallons...help me pick out some fish! I can't imagine I'd want to do more than 1 medium or maybe 2 small. What are your favorite colorful fish?

• Like 1
BehindGlass

Starcki Damsel, orchid dottyback, 6 line wrasse - these are active swimmers

I had a list for my 40 gallon, but can't put my hands on it right now.

make sure you have a lid on the tank. 

5 hours ago, Juno said:

We're taking off today for a couple of days, my husband is whisking me off to Sarasota for a few nights, and then two days after we get back we go to the beach for a week. I always have someone stay at the house to take care of all the animals because there are too many! We have 2 dogs, 2 cats, a parakeet, 2 geckos, a sugar glider and 4 chickens. Anyway, I'm sure I'm cycled now and as much as I love looking at a clean box of water, I want to start adding fish. I can wait till we get back from all our traveling, I guess...🙄. I know I want a shrimp/goby pair. I'm thinking about a high fin red banded goby and pistol shrimp. One of my kids wants a pair of clowns. I'll do 1, but I don't need 2. I also really like a starry blenny. So there's 3 fish. I want something that is super swimmy, since the goby and the blenny don't swim much and the clown will do it's weird wiggle in mostly one place.  Maybe something with color would be nice. My tank is 34 gallons...help me pick out some fish! I can't imagine I'd want to do more than 1 medium or maybe 2 small. What are your favorite colorful fish?

Active small swimmers:

Pygmy wrasse

Small flasher wrasse like a McCosker or Carpenters

Long-fin fairy wrasse or lubbocks fairy wrasse

I'd like to order a new return pump. The one that came with my system is clearly old and is really just limping along. The output is pretty pitiful. What would you recommend for a 34 gallon tank?

1 hour ago, Juno said:

I'd like to order a new return pump. The one that came with my system is clearly old and is really just limping along. The output is pretty pitiful. What would you recommend for a 34 gallon tank?

I'd take it apart completely and soak it in vinegar for an hour. 

Then scrub it clean inside and out -- pay particular attention to the impeller and the impeller well.

After, give it a complete and thorough rinse and let it completely air-dry.  You'll be able to clearly see any remaining deposits once dry. 

Thin films can be totally transparent when wet and are enough to affect performance if in a place like the impeller well.

Repeat the whole process again if needed.

If it's still slow once cleaned then a replacement impeller would be the next logical thing to look at.

If you get an impeller from your dealer and it doesn't work, they will probably be willing to take it back and sell you a new pump instead.  (Ask first of course.)

On 7/19/2019 at 7:57 PM, seabass said:

A capable, but budget light: https://www.amazon.com/MarsAqua-Dimmable-165W-LED-Aquarium/dp/B017GWDF7E/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=mars+aqua&qid=1563580318&s=gateway&sr=8-2

The light in your cart is like a 30W fixture (not more than some PAR38 bulbs).

An AI Prime HD is a decent choice (about 55W)

I really like the MarsAqua light but don’t like the idea of a pendant fixture. I’d really like some sort of arm or brace for it. Have you seen any good mods?

2 hours ago, Juno said:

I really like the MarsAqua light but don’t like the idea of a pendant fixture. I’d really like some sort of arm or brace for it. Have you seen any good mods?

Television wall mount is a common one, so is a DIY aluminium frame. Any sound L bracket would make a good support depending on where you attach it.

I used a cheap rope pulley to hang mine but I have ceiling tiles in the office

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2019 at 4:36 PM, Juno said:

Thanks guys!!! I picked this tank up today in CL. It’s 20 x 20 x 20, 34 gal. Not sure if the make/model. I got it for $100 with pump and skimmer. I am a MINIMALIST so I’m going to try to work without the skimmer for now. It has an IM sticker on it so I’m guessing it’s Innovative Marine. It even came with sand.

I need lighting. I’m planning on keeping all the usual suspects: anemones, sps, softies, lps, etc. My LFS offered me an AI Prime for $190. I’d be happy to go with a non name brand if I can get something off amazon for cheaper that is still reliable. Any suggestions? 

6CD8BBA5-2B15-42FF-A2C5-1F93153AD3A1.jpeg

D72413BF-AAA0-4BC9-8B6C-5C73CF87DB00.jpeg

99E94A88-ADE6-41BA-9DDB-2E5421498F31.jpeg

Nice tank and good deal. Take a look at the Current Orbit for your 20. When I was considering a 20, that’s what I was going to go with. It sits on the tank, no need for a fan and the 18-24” model is very reasonable, I think $139 for everything, including controller.