ReefCleaners.org

Can I go back and start over?

Juno

I have an IM 14 that has been up and running for 2+ years and have not had any issues with leaking. Around here all of the LFS's will match Marine Depots and Bulk Reefs prices, so it can't hurt to ask.

When comparing the IMs make sure to ask what year model they are, or if they're the new bundle model. 

I know this year they come with a whole lot more stuff than previous years. Return pump has been upgraded, mesh top, media basket, and filter sock. 

• Like 1

I think a lot of the leaking issues were from the Concept drop-off tanks, and the old round-front-corner ones that exploded a lot.  I had no issues with leaking for the 8 or so months I had the IM 14 Peninsula up.  I had tons of algae issues with black sand so, even though it's beautiful, I took it out and don't recommend it (was using Tahitian black moon sand but have heard this about other black sand as well).  I use Fiji Pink these days and really like it.  It's not really all that pink, but it is gorgeous and very popular with good reason.  For only $10 difference or so, I'd go with your LFS on the tank, and the AI prime price is pretty standard although I don't know if it'll have enough spread for a tank that long (although I know some people use a single Prime over the Lagoon so if the length is the same as the 20 gallon peninsula you're probably fine).  It's hard to predict a cycle, but if you get cured rock that stays wet till it gets in your tank, you may have no cycle.  I'd be prepared for it to last a few weeks, though, and it's always best to take things slowly, especially when starting out.  If you have a reliable person to stop by and check on your pets and tank, that's ideal, but otherwise if you have an ATO and stock lightly, things would probably be ok for a few days. I believe there's equipment and programs that let you monitor when you're away as well, and some people set up cameras to stream their tanks so they can spot problems.

• Like 1

I have the IM10 and IM25g and never had any leaks issues or felt like it would be an issue. The IM10 I have had several years.

• 3 weeks later...

I have still not pulled the trigger on this yet because as badly as I want to, I'm having trouble committing to the expense. No matter what I tell myself it's going to cost, I know there will be tons of issues that pop up making it even more than my best budgeted guess. To that end...I went into World Wide Coral today (I drive by all the time) and OMG!!!!!!! Their shop is ridiculous. Straight up wicked amazing. And now I'm all hot to trot again and thinking I may go buy a tank. I'll keep you posted, just know that I'll need lots of encouragement and support because I have 3 kids with special needs whose therapies are expensive and I'll feel super guilty if I do this for myself.

• Like 1

There are ways to keep expenses down.  That said, it's still an expensive hobby.  Remember, it isn't a competition, so just build a simple budget friendly tank that you and your kids can enjoy.

BehindGlass

Take a look on Facebook Marketplace. That is where I picked up my Nuvo 25 an Nuvo 40 from. Nuvo 25 with IM skimmer cost me 200.00 and the Nuvo 40 with tunze 9004 skimmer and a pair of SW2 pumps cost me 250.00 ..... so take your time looking. A deal will come by. 

I just had a look on Facebook Marketplace for Orlando and did a search for "Marine Aquarium", "Nuvo" and "Innovative Marine" ..... Now I didn't look to see where Palm Bay is in relation to you, but there is a 20g Nuvo listed for 140.00 and it is the new model with quite a few extras ( Includes stock return pump, screen lid, coralife protien skimmer, hydor koralia nano 240gph pump, black gravel sand, mag float glass cleaner, and a 100w aqueon heater.

So it's pretty much everything you need at one heck of a price. Even if you had to drive the saving would be well worth it. 

Keep in mind the AI Prime light does NOT include a mount and this is extra. So it's not just 200.00 for the light, you have to get the mount as well. 

I looked up AI Prime on FB Marketplace and that turned up a few and even more tanks... Including a Nuvo 40 with Hydra 26, upgraded return pump, looks like spin streams on the return, heater, live rock, stand... all for 575.00. This is what I would personally go for as the 40 is one of the more popular tanks and gives you more room for growth and uses the same foot print as the Nuvo 25 that you was considering. 

So look around, take your time. The tanks do come up often enough in your area and due to that the prices are fair. 

Cost wise to run and upkeep .... it won't really matter much between a 20, 25, or even 40. You'll need virtually all the same equipment to run them and similar lighting setups. 

I recently setup a 7 gallon Waterbox tank... the tank wasn't but 89.00 .... then I had to buy lighting (AI Prime), ATO (Tunze Nano), Heater x2 (redundancy), Heater controller to regulate the temp and auto shutdown should a heater stick on, Upgraded my return pump, powerhead, bought a stand, live rock.... all in all when said and done I have over 600.00 worth of stuff, all for 7 gallons of water and not the first coral/fish in the tank at that cost. So keep in mind this hobby can quickly add up.

Make a list of everything you will need... from the RO/DI Water Unit down to the refractometer to the salt, rock and sand. Then look at the prices of corals/fish that you want. Prices have gone up over the years and the size of what you get has gone down when it comes to corals.

Once you have that list, start trolling the fish forums for parts (there are several forums). Watch Craigslist and FB Marketplace. It may take a couple of months to piece it all together, but the saving add up and allow you to buy better stuff used, than you can afford new.

This is a great and rewarding hobby, but done wrong it can be one of many frustrations and tears. 

I would start over at the beginning and set a budget. 

I would also consider building your own "AIO" using a Tunze Reefpack and a standard tank.

Once upon a time (when I started) there was a rule of thumb that you'd spend 1/3 of your budget on the tank and gear, 1/3 on lights, and 1/3 on live rock.  Or something like that. 🙂

Say you have $1500 to get you started:

Perfecto Frameless 40 Gallon - $450

Tampa Bay Saltwater Live Rock 40 Pounds - $240

Tunze Reefpack 250 - $218

Tunze 6045 circulation pump - $78

Kessil A160 - $240

Total $1226

You can afford to add a second A160 and still stay within budget if you want a higher light tank or a more-even look.

If you want a budget under $1500 you can buy lower end gear....or buy everything used to get your total down to about HALF, but it takes some patience (as you've been finding).

The pre-packaged AIO systems I've looked at seem very nice, but pricey for what you get.

So what's your budget?  🙂

Thanks guys!!! I picked this tank up today in CL. It’s 20 x 20 x 20, 34 gal. Not sure if the make/model. I got it for $100 with pump and skimmer. I am a MINIMALIST so I’m going to try to work without the skimmer for now. It has an IM sticker on it so I’m guessing it’s Innovative Marine. It even came with sand.

I need lighting. I’m planning on keeping all the usual suspects: anemones, sps, softies, lps, etc. My LFS offered me an AI Prime for $190. I’d be happy to go with a non name brand if I can get something off amazon for cheaper that is still reliable. Any suggestions? 

6CD8BBA5-2B15-42FF-A2C5-1F93153AD3A1.jpeg

D72413BF-AAA0-4BC9-8B6C-5C73CF87DB00.jpeg

99E94A88-ADE6-41BA-9DDB-2E5421498F31.jpeg

• Like 2

So....I'll be moving really slowly on this project. I guess this tank is super old and no longer in production. That's certainly worrisome. It's a Solana 34. When I search it, I see tons about leaks. That's great. It was a steal, so I guess if I have to upgrade in a few months, the only expense will be the tank itself because I'll be buying everything else new that can transfer over if need be.

I want to keep this simple! I'm going to hold off on the skimmer for now as you can see...it will look super gross popping up over the top edge of the overflow. I just have to make a commitment to do very regular water changes.

It's up and running with water and rocks but it'll likely take me a day or two to get any clarity. That gives me time to order the light kit and power head off of amazon. I'm just going to do this: https://smile.amazon.com/MICMOL-Aquarium-Dimmable-Programmable-Spectrum/dp/B078F9KY26/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3R2SMWKXOIETO&keywords=micmol+smart+led+aquarium+light&qid=1563575554&s=pet-supplies&sprefix=micmol+smart+l%2Cpets%2C186&sr=1-4

The reviews are pretty good with only 2 negative reviews and I think it'll work fine for long enough.

I'm also getting a cheap power head. It has tons of great reviews. 

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HJZHZ1Q/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A1W7R5UJZCLN8X&psc=1

I figure I can upgrade what I need to over time. As I said in the beginning of this post, I'll be taking this really slowly.

I got the Caribsea faux and seeded live rock from my LFS for an arm and a leg. I like it well enough. I think I'm going back for one more big piece in a few days.

I'm working on more research and my rockscape tonight. I'm thinking it'll take about 2 weeks to do a good cycle. We'll move ahead with clean up crew from there.

BehindGlass
30 minutes ago, Juno said:

So....I'll be moving really slowly on this project. I guess this tank is super old and no longer in production. That's certainly worrisome. It's a Solana 34. When I search it, I see tons about leaks. That's great. It was a steal, so I guess if I have to upgrade in a few months, the only expense will be the tank itself because I'll be buying everything else new that can transfer over if need be.

I want to keep this simple! I'm going to hold off on the skimmer for now as you can see...it will look super gross popping up over the top edge of the overflow. I just have to make a commitment to do very regular water changes.

It's up and running with water and rocks but it'll likely take me a day or two to get any clarity. That gives me time to order the light kit and power head off of amazon. I'm just going to do this: https://smile.amazon.com/MICMOL-Aquarium-Dimmable-Programmable-Spectrum/dp/B078F9KY26/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3R2SMWKXOIETO&keywords=micmol+smart+led+aquarium+light&qid=1563575554&s=pet-supplies&sprefix=micmol+smart+l%2Cpets%2C186&sr=1-4

The reviews are pretty good with only 2 negative reviews and I think it'll work fine for long enough.

I'm also getting a cheap power head. It has tons of great reviews. 

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HJZHZ1Q/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A1W7R5UJZCLN8X&psc=1

I figure I can upgrade what I need to over time. As I said in the beginning of this post, I'll be taking this really slowly.

I got the Caribsea faux and seeded live rock from my LFS for an arm and a leg. I like it well enough. I think I'm going back for one more big piece in a few days.

I'm working on more research and my rockscape tonight. I'm thinking it'll take about 2 weeks to do a good cycle. We'll move ahead with clean up crew from there.

I know nothing on that pump, but I have a similar cheap model and the pivot pin on the suction lever used is metal and rusting. Small... tank.. rust ... Nope... it's also HUGE... you are wanting to go clean look, that pump is not going to give it to you. Look at the SW2 model powerhead... size of an egg.  Sold under various brand names, Jebao is the name most know, but can be had for less under the other name brands on amazon.

Personally I would go with the "Lominie LED Aquarium Light, Saltwater Freshwater Fish Tank Light for Coral, Planted Nano Aquarium Tank" at a price point of 82.00... a lot more reviews and at that price you could by nearly TWO for the price of the one you are looking at should you find you want a second one later down the road for a tank upgrade.

Just food for thought since you are trying to work on a budget.

24 minutes ago, BehindGlass said:

I know nothing on that pump, but I have a similar cheap model and the pivot pin on the suction lever used is metal and rusting. Small... tank.. rust ... Nope... it's also HUGE... you are wanting to go clean look, that pump is not going to give it to you. Look at the SW2 model powerhead... size of an egg.  Sold under various brand names, Jebao is the name most know, but can be had for less under the other name brands on amazon.

Personally I would go with the "Lominie LED Aquarium Light, Saltwater Freshwater Fish Tank Light for Coral, Planted Nano Aquarium Tank" at a price point of 82.00... a lot more reviews and at that price you could by nearly TWO for the price of the one you are looking at should you find you want a second one later down the road for a tank upgrade.

Just food for thought since you are trying to work on a budget.

Thanks B. I put that light in my shopping cart. The reviews are excellent. Certainly, the price is great. I'm noticing that the pump isn't putting out much flow. I may need to just get a new main pump and then I think I'd like to get a cordless powerhead. I remember in my old days that algae was one of my biggest headaches. I'd like to keep as much flow as possible in the tank for all the reasons that it's beneficial. Any other pump and powerhead (cordless) suggestions would be great. Back when I had my last setup, I think cordless powerheads were considered "new" technology. 😂

BehindGlass
3 minutes ago, Juno said:

Thanks B. I put that light in my shopping cart. The reviews are excellent. Certainly, the price is great. I'm noticing that the pump isn't putting out much flow. I may need to just get a new main pump and then I think I'd like to get a cordless powerhead. I remember in my old days that algae was one of my biggest headaches. I'd like to keep as much flow as possible in the tank for all the reasons that it's beneficial. Any other pump and powerhead (cordless) suggestions would be great. Back when I had my last setup, I think cordless powerheads were considered "new" technology. 😂

Vortech is the only cordless wet side pump on the market. Guessing patents. Still demand a high price and even used they fetch 150-200.00

for price point the one I pointed out earlier I can't find anything to beat it. 

SW2 in your tank would be fine.. you can put two in and run them in slave mode so that they pulse opposite of each other. 

And...the dust has settled. Obviously I need to make a decision on the light. I got all my water from the LFS and the sand was in this tank for a few years and then was sitting for the last week or two in the dude’s garage. It should be full of bacteria. I’m not adding anything. I’m not even going to test for at least a week. I don’t see any signs of live critters at all, but it may take a few days. 

Im 99% sure I’m sticking with this scape. I like the simplicity of the tower and the cave. I’ll likely do some zoa islands in an arch around the front sand bed. 

Im having buyers remorse and guilt. It kept me up last night. I’m 50% super excited and 50% beating myself up for making the expenditure. We are by no means broke but we don’t have a ton of extra either. We own a real estate business and I’m always afraid things will slow down. I also have 3 kids with special needs who have very expensive therapies. But mama needs a little treat sometimes too. Not to mention, we all enjoy it. The kids love it. 

C0ADD0E1-FF6B-4BE7-BB1A-2F4151416844.jpeg

7692C57A-DA75-440B-8C8D-62E37955C401.jpeg

• Like 1

Looks great! If you're looking for a good inexpensive light, look on Amazon for the Luminie Asta or Pixie, another one would be the Hipargo light. I use the Asta 20 on my IM10 and don't have any complaints. 

11 minutes ago, 5*Chris said:

Looks great! If you're looking for a good inexpensive light, look on Amazon for the Luminie Asta or Pixie, another one would be the Hipargo light. I use the Asta 20 on my IM10 and don't have any complaints. 

I do need to settle on a good light. The tank is 34 gal, 20 x 20 x 20. I do plan on attempting everything that would need good strong light. 

Did you rinse the sand? If it was used for years and also stored in a garage, the debris in it could turn into a serious problem. 

Since money is a possible issue, consider stock as well, some need more frequent testing/dosing, etc. Heavy LPS tank will need daily dosing which may be hard to do with time constraints and a doser is another expense. 

12 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Did you rinse the sand? If it was used for years and also stored in a garage, the debris in it could turn into a serious problem. 

Only a little, with r/o. I thought it would be beneficial to have the bacteria. Should I remove it or is it too late? 

2 minutes ago, Juno said:

Only a little, with r/o. I thought it would be beneficial to have the bacteria. Should I remove it or is it too late? 

Bacteria are resilient and won't die that easy. When people upgrade/move tanks, you have to wash the sand or replace it. It can cause crashes or a lot of algae/heartache. The sand also looks pretty deep. In a nano you need to clean the sand with water changes by stirring or siphoning it, a shallow bed is easier. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Bacteria are resilient and won't die that easy. When people upgrade/move tanks, you have to wash the sand or replace it. It can cause crashes or a lot of algae/heartache. The sand also looks pretty deep. In a nano you need to clean the sand with water changes by stirring or siphoning it, a shallow bed is easier. 

So now that I’ve made this mistake, should I remove it? I really thought it would provide me with a more rich supply of bacteria to work with my ammonia cycle. Guess I didn’t think that through. In the old days, we used real live rock but no one has that anymore. I was hoping this would supplement. I’m not putting a thing in this tank until the water is perfect and ready for it. It’s only been up for a day. If I need to clear it out, I’d rather do that now than later. 

Well, I’m a dummy. I’ll drain and rinse the tank and sand tomorrow. We’re early enough in the game to back up and do it right. I’ll pull the rock out and I may as well dump the old sand and get new. 

I did buy buy the used AI Prime light. Thanks for the tip on that!

• Like 1