Coral Vue Hydros

Late to the party + rulebreaking old school Pico!

CalvinKlein

2 hours ago, CalvinKlein said:

The trick is to let it attach to some rubble rock and place it in low flow areas. They do well in dead spots.

It wants nothing to do with attaching.  I have tried rubble and shells of different textures.  It likes the back corner and laying in the substrate.  

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Wingy said:

It likes the back corner and laying in the substrate.

Just put some crushed coral back there.  It should grab a piece or two (which is all you need to glue it down).

• Like 1
CalvinKlein
13 minutes ago, seabass said:

Shoot.  Are you planning on utilizing the warranty, repairing it, or just buying another?

Its not worth repairing as a new tank cost less than USD15. 

Anyway, I was just pulling your leg :lol:. The tank did leak, but not because of a burst in the silicone. Water seeped up from the lightset clamp that was partially submerged in the water and leaked down the back.

An easier explanation would be taking a cloth and sticking one end of it touching water surface and leaving the other end hanging out of the tank. Wait a few hours and you get a slow siphon.

This happened to me a few times before and it was all about adjusting the tightness of the clamp onto the glass to prevent this from occuring again.

2019-06-29 16.30.23.jpg

• Like 2
CalvinKlein

I also got myself a banana wrasse which I acclimated with a container of water beside the tank. I immediately regretted getting it as it dove into the sandbed when released.

Woke up the next morning seeing it back in the container of water. The fella must have jumped overnight and I was lucky to have left the container there. This guy spents most of the time hiding in the sandbed now and only comes out when the lights are off.

2019-06-29 16.34.47.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
3 hours ago, CalvinKlein said:

Anyway, I was just pulling your leg :lol:.

Ahh, you got me. :smilie:

3 hours ago, CalvinKlein said:

I also got myself a banana wrasse

Looks like Halichoeres chrysus (yellow coris or canary wrasse).  They get pretty big.  Probably should have a tank about 20 times bigger.  They are jumpers and would appreciate a deeper, finer grain sand bed.  Definitely needs a top.

• Like 2
On 6/20/2019 at 1:09 AM, CalvinKlein said:

This pink mili colony probably costs about S$250-300 here I'm guessing, so thats about USD219 / Euro 195.

Tell me if that's the prices you pay over in your country.

20190619_195317.jpg

I feel privileged to live in Australia

• Like 1
CalvinKlein
On Thursday, July 04, 2019 at 10:39 AM, Zonatie said:

I feel privileged to live in Australia

How much does a coral like this cost over in Ozzyland?

CalvinKlein

Some updates. Its been a rocky start for this setup so far. My mushrooms somehow had a bacterial infection and it spreaded to all the other mushrooms in the tank. Lost almost all my mushrooms within days. They were opening up nicely and then just melted overnight. Other soft corals like my cloves are fine.

I'm currently waiting for all the remaining mushrooms to melt and decide what to do next. Maybe I should just give up on the whole setup! 

• Sad 3

Don't give up!  All of our tanks have suffered a loss.  I lost everything in my tank to a hurricane a couple of years ago.  It is very depressing when it happens but it gives you a chance to start over and change things that you did not like in the tank.  I'm sorry for your losses.  I can not help with infections in your tank, but someone on here will be able to tell you how to fix the problems.  Hang in there and your tank will bring you joy again soon.

• Like 3
CalvinKlein

Nothing much left here guys. Just cant seem to keep mushrooms. This have to be like the 4th time I've failed in keeping mushrooms lol. Heres a before and after pic (after pic taken 2 mins ago)

2019-07-07 17.24.51.jpg

2019-07-07 17.25.12.jpg

• Sad 1
CalvinKlein

Plan to do a 100% water change once things settles down and when all the mushrooms have melted. Not sure what I'm gonna do after that. Continue with mushrooms or try something else? Heres one pic of the mushrooms melting from the infection.

I've kept sps before and I can definitely say that its easier than darn mushrooms! 

2019-07-07 17.32.29.jpg

2 hours ago, CalvinKlein said:

Some updates. Its been a rocky start for this setup so far. My mushrooms somehow had a bacterial infection and it spreaded to all the other mushrooms in the tank. Lost almost all my mushrooms within days. They were opening up nicely and then just melted overnight. Other soft corals like my cloves are fine.

I'm currently waiting for all the remaining mushrooms to melt and decide what to do next. Maybe I should just give up on the whole setup! 

Dont give up. Most of us have had setbacks of one sort or another. You cant keep mushrooms and I seem to give Zoas pests and poxes by looking at them.

• Like 2
debbeach13

I can not keep cheato. Instead of growing and needing to be trimmed. It become less and less until there is none. Go figure. After years of growing a beautiful Zoa colony for no apparent reason they melted away. while every thing else in the tank was just fine. You have to accept some loses here and there in this hobby.

• Like 3

Please don't give up. The loss of all those mushrooms must be heartbreaking, but everyone has something that they just can't keep alive.

I personally would take the time and reflect and start steering this tank in another direction. Or if you have your heart set on a mushroom tank, toss out all the sand and rock and sterilise and start from new. That's one of the best aspects about these picos - the ability to reset at a whim.

If you want inspiration for a tank that has had many crashes in just the last few months, but which has been kept going look at @TheRope 's pico.

• Like 5

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear the mushrooms aren't doing too well, but don't let it stop you! @Tempestas is spot on; we are all sharing and learning how to best keep our particular picos happy, but the being able to reset thing is such a huge advantage these small setups have over larger ones. Don't wait for them to melt! Are you sure it was bacterial? Did you try any coral dips (iodine)? Do you happen to have have any parameter readings before anything melted (particularly pH)? Did you perform any testing after things started changing? What were your maintenances for this pico (WCs, dose anything)?

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Tempestas said:

Please don't give up. The loss of all those mushrooms must be heartbreaking, but everyone has something that they just can't keep alive.

I personally would take the time and reflect and start steering this tank in another direction. Or if you have your heart set on a mushroom tank, toss out all the sand and rock and sterilise and start from new. That's one of the best aspects about these picos - the ability to reset at a whim.

If you want inspiration for a tank that has had many crashes in just the last few months, but which has been kept going look at @TheRope 's pico.

Temp is right, picos can be really easy but also take a quick turn for the worst. But that bad part can be used to turn the tank around right away due to its size. I had a beautiful mixed reef in a bowl for over a year which I then crashed by adding too many feather worms + a leather coral which caused some nuclear warfare. I then rebuilt it to a softie / rock flower nem bowl which did super well, so well that it killed itself because the nems kept spawning and I couldnt waterchange the die off in time. 

So now I'm doing a simple lps setup that is going fantastically! All that to say theres always a simple solution with these small tanks and sometimes it just takes trial and error

• Like 5