Jump to content
CalvinKlein

Late to the party + rulebreaking old school Pico!

Recommended Posts

Tempestas
4 hours ago, 748S911 said:

For someone late to the party, you caught up very quick!

 

 

Caught up and overtaken some of us. My tank isn't even that stocked, including the haul I made yesterday.

 

I'm personally loving the spotted green ones on the front left rock

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
CalvinKlein

Dropped by my LFS on the way back from work.

Took some pics as promised. Hope you guys enjoy.

Disclaimer: I'm not very good at taking pics, and the blue lighting they had on just doesn't do justice to the actual coral colours. 😑

 

 

20190619_194434.jpg

20190619_195223.jpg

20190619_194807.jpg

20190619_194802.jpg

20190619_194751.jpg

20190619_194745.jpg

20190619_195231.jpg

20190619_195317.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Wow 3

Share this post


Link to post
CalvinKlein
5 hours ago, Tempestas said:

 

Caught up and overtaken some of us. My tank isn't even that stocked, including the haul I made yesterday.

 

I'm personally loving the spotted green ones on the front left rock

 

You referring to this rock? These are considered some of the common ones here. But I love all discosomas no matter their colour!

20190619_204620.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Wow 2

Share this post


Link to post
CalvinKlein

The other rock of white stripe mushrooms I got yesterday.

20190619_204559.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Wow 1

Share this post


Link to post
CalvinKlein

Another shot of my "mushroom city". I like the sound of that. 😆

Maybe I should make that the name of my tank. What do you all think?

 

 

mushies.jpg

  • Like 3
  • Wow 1

Share this post


Link to post
Ratvan

great looking set up, what is the reason for the filter pad? Speed up the cycle?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
CalvinKlein
9 hours ago, Ratvan said:

great looking set up, what is the reason for the filter pad? Speed up the cycle?

Thanks. Yes, I got a seeded filter sock from a friend so I can skip the cycling stage.

Will remove it after my HOB filter is well established. Maybe after a week.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
748S911
46 minutes ago, CalvinKlein said:

Dropped by my LFS on the way back from work.

Took some pics as promised. Hope you guys enjoy.

Disclaimer: I'm not very good at taking pics, and the blue lighting they had on just doesn't do justice to the actual coral colours. 😑

 

 

20190619_194434.jpg

20190619_195223.jpg

20190619_194807.jpg

20190619_194802.jpg

20190619_194751.jpg

20190619_194745.jpg

20190619_195231.jpg

20190619_195317.jpg

Nice lfs! Where is that?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
CalvinKlein
6 minutes ago, 748S911 said:

Nice lfs! Where is that?

181 Upper Paya Lebar Rd, Singapore 534866

  • Like 2
  • Wow 1

Share this post


Link to post
Ratvan
4 minutes ago, CalvinKlein said:

181 Upper Paya Lebar Rd, Singapore 534866

Are the prices fairly cheap then? 

Share this post


Link to post
748S911
1 minute ago, Ratvan said:

Are the prices fairly cheap then? 

I would imagine they would be. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
CalvinKlein
Just now, Ratvan said:

Are the prices fairly cheap then? 

No, I've heard that prices have skyrocketed a year or so ago when the amount of corals imported from neighbouring countries have reduced due to restrictions.

They are not as expensive as what you guys pay them for in the States or UK, though.

For example, that rock of blue mushrooms cost me S$25. Thats about USD18.29 / Euro 16.31.

 

I also forgot to mention that I pass by 3 different marine LFS here on my way back from work, different routes though. I managed to resist the urge to buy something today, but I can't guarantee that tomorrow!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
CalvinKlein

This pink mili colony probably costs about S$250-300 here I'm guessing, so thats about USD219 / Euro 195.

Tell me if that's the prices you pay over in your country.

20190619_195317.jpg

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
This guy is extra salty
4 minutes ago, CalvinKlein said:

This pink mili colony probably costs about S$250-300 here I'm guessing, so thats about USD219 / Euro 195.

Tell me if that's the prices you pay over in your country.

20190619_195317.jpg

Is it the size of a grapefruit or cantaloupe?

cause 200$Usd sounds about right for THAT size

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
CalvinKlein
10 minutes ago, This guy is extra salty said:

Is it the size of a grapefruit or cantaloupe?

cause 200$Usd sounds about right for THAT size

 

Yeah about the size of a grapefruit, I would say about 6 inches in diameter.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
748S911
20 minutes ago, CalvinKlein said:

This pink mili colony probably costs about S$250-300 here I'm guessing, so thats about USD219 / Euro 195.

Tell me if that's the prices you pay over in your country.

20190619_195317.jpg

So reefers around the world are paying top $$$$

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Ratvan
28 minutes ago, CalvinKlein said:

This pink mili colony probably costs about S$250-300 here I'm guessing, so thats about USD219 / Euro 195.

Tell me if that's the prices you pay over in your country.

20190619_195317.jpg

Not seen a comparable colony size, but a 1.5-2cm Frag will cost me £25-£50 (USD 30-60)

Share this post


Link to post
kimdawg

I love your mushroom city.  I don't have any local mushrooms to buy, but I can get some nice ones online.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
CalvinKlein
8 hours ago, Ratvan said:

Not seen a comparable colony size, but a 1.5-2cm Frag will cost me £25-£50 (USD 30-60)

Insane. Just insane.

I used to pay S$100 for 3 mini colonies of maricultured SPS. That was the price 5 years back. Now a mini colony cost about S$100 alone.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
CalvinKlein

Visited another LFS on the way home yesterday and they had a basket of nice uncommon and rare mushrooms. The prices were insane so I could only stand there drooling at them like a chimp.

20190620_194336.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
CalvinKlein

Managed to find a hidden rock of uncommon mushrooms, tucked away in a corner, unoticed.

 

Under the blue lighting, it was a barely noticable "brown" rock of mushrooms to the untrained eye. I saw it and claimed it, paid and left a happy man. Best thing of all, I got it cheap!

 

I fragged the shrooms off the rock, and under white lighting its a nice bluish green. Here they are all angry and splewing out their guts.

20190620_204707.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Wow 1

Share this post


Link to post
CalvinKlein

20190620_211305.thumb.jpg.e01e347ddeda2cc343a02e01b1eac6a2.jpg

 

Ok as you can see from the picture above, the top and bottom mushrooms have this green stripe on them. I've only seen this pattern once before when I first started many years back. Do we have something interesting here? Hmmmm...

  • Like 2
  • Wow 1

Share this post


Link to post
748S911
10 minutes ago, CalvinKlein said:

20190620_211305.thumb.jpg.e01e347ddeda2cc343a02e01b1eac6a2.jpg

 

Ok as you can see from the picture above, the top and bottom mushrooms have this green stripe on them. I've only seen this pattern once before when I first started many years back. Do we have something interesting here? Hmmmm...

Yea ur on to something with that shroom.

I miss my blue stripped mushroom... Hard to find nowadays.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Wingy

I wish I could get my shroom to sit in a place where I could see it.  

Share this post


Link to post
CalvinKlein
8 hours ago, Wingy said:

I wish I could get my shroom to sit in a place where I could see it.  

The trick is to let it attach to some rubble rock and place it in low flow areas. They do well in dead spots.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...