Cultivated Reef

Late to the party + rulebreaking old school Pico!

CalvinKlein

CalvinKlein

Hi NR!

This is my second post here in this forum!

Some background about myself: I'm located at the other side of the world and I've been in this hobby since 2002 but was out of the reefing scene for the past four years. So I just happened to search Pico tanks and what do I see? NR with a pico competition. 🙂

The itch started in me and I told myself I had to do it now or never!

I know I'm late to the party and its been 2 months or so since the competition began. But heck yeah I thought I'll just tag along for fun so spare me.

More pics coming soon hang on tight!

20190616_152945.jpg

• Like 7

:welcome: to Nano-Reef.com.

I'm glad that you are tagging along.  In a way, seeing some of the other picos may help you decide what you'd like to do.

• Like 2
CalvinKlein

Did somebody say favourite snack?

Pic taken with today's Google Doodle (Father's Day!) for verification.

Also just search the keyword "CNN" and it should display the same news headlines. 🙂

Snack.jpg

• Like 1
CalvinKlein

Thought I shouldn't be the exception, and include my April and May FTS. 😎

I have already bought my equipment and gonna start running the tank with FW first.

More pics to come. Thought I'll drop by the LFS later to get some LS. Can't wait.

AprilFTS.jpg

MayFTS.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 11
CalvinKlein
6 minutes ago, seabass said:

:welcome: to Nano-Reef.com.

I'm glad that you are tagging along.  In a way, seeing some of the other picos may help you decide what you'd like to do.

Hi there Friend!

I must say I've seen your tank and its one of my favourites of this competition. Thanks for dropping by, I'm more of a coral person so I will be looking at going for a coral only tank, maybe just a simple mushroom tank would be good as I've gotten rusty!

• Like 2
CalvinKlein

Here are most of the equipment that I bought yesterday.

The rules didn't state to allow for use of a cooling fan, so I hope I'm breaking the rules further. 😈 This is after all, a rule breaking entry right?

The ambient room temp here is 29-31deg C, (84.2-87.8 deg F), which makes smaller tanks here hard to cool down without losing too much water due to evaporation.

equip.jpg

• Like 3
CalvinKlein

Tank washed and ready to be filled up for equipment test.

The tank dimensions are:

( Width: 36cm (14.17")
Height: 17cm (6.69")
Depth: 22cm (8.66")

Your tank's volume is 13,464.0 cubic centimeters or 13.5 liters, which is approximately 3.6 U.S. gallons.

Notice the janky styrofoam board? Thats how we like to do things here. I was actually planning to cut the foam flush to the tank's footprint, but after looking at it again, I think I will keep it this way as I like the platform look. The truth is: Its just another excuse to copy some of the incredible stands the other have came up wiith lol!

I will be adding a white foam background too.

empty.jpg

• Like 4
CalvinKlein

And here we have it, doing the equipment test to check if flow, temp is working fine. Notice the old school thermometer. I think we can't go old school without using something from the past. Btw, digital thermometers have doubled in prices since then, and I have no idea why.

This is also the first time I'm using an ATO, and I love it!

Now I'm gonna stop by the supermarket to buy some bottles of distilled water. Will update more when I'm back. Been running around the whole day getting this damn tank up.

What have I gotten myself into?

equiptest.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
CalvinKlein
54 minutes ago, seabass said:

Where's here?

Sunny Singapore. 😎

Where it is summer all year round.

Just now, Christopher Marks said:

Welcome to the community @CalvinKlein! You're clearly off to a great start with your old school pico reef, it's fun to piece them all together. Looking forward to seeing what you create! 🙂 

Thank you, Boss of NR! For allowing me to tag along in this competition!

• Like 3

Awesome! Deadlines don't apply to rule breakers anyways! Nice looking setup - I'm curious how well that vortex fan will do with your room temps. I like your plan; it seems like your off to a solid start  :]

• Like 2
CalvinKlein

I'm dead tired now. Just came back from an errand.

Its 12.25am Monday morning here and I've yet to wash 1kg of sand and premix salt.

I got the white background going too. Its the first time I'm ever using white for a background. It sure looks better than the ugly wires thats for sure!

white.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
CalvinKlein

Here's some mushrooms that I bought today. $50 for all. Prices of coral have tripled in the past year as I heard imports from nearby Indonesia are limited and not as frequent as they used to. I have the corals running in a pail with aged water and a seeded filter sock from fellow reefer's tank.

Seems that I got to overly ambitious..... I gotta go to work in 8 hours and I've still got lots to do. What have I gotten myself into lads!

mushrooms.jpg

• Like 4

Welcome to NR!  I Iike the white background and the overall look of your set-up so far.  Looking forward to seeing this develop.

The April and May FTSs look super clean as well.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
CalvinKlein
1 hour ago, Wonderboy said:

Awesome! Deadlines don't apply to rule breakers anyways! Nice looking setup - I'm curious how well that vortex fan will do with your room temps. I like your plan; it seems like your off to a solid start  :]

Hey there, I'll make sure to update you on the fan and temp. I have yet to determine the evaporation rate though. Humidity here is at a constant 70% so we shall see.

• Like 1
CalvinKlein
23 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

Welcome to NR!  I Iike the white background and the overall look of your set-up so far.  Looking forward to seeing this develop.

The April and May FTSs look super clean as well.  

Hey hey, thanks for stopping by! Your volcano pico is at the top of my list of favourites!

• Like 2

Nice looking substrate - did you buy coral before the system was even running?? Oh bucket of aged water, right 👍  Moving along quickly  :]

• Like 2
CalvinKlein
Just now, Wonderboy said:

Nice looking substrate  -  did you buy coral before the system was even running??

Yes I did,

I figured that using water and filter media from my friend's established tank will be sufficient.

I'm gonna call it a day guys. Will update again soon.

• Like 2

Welcome to the janky side.  Your tank is looking very neat so far.  At the rate you are moving you will catch up to everyone quickly.  Looking forward to see what you do with the tank.

• Like 2