Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Zoa squirted in my eye

Hannahhhh

While fragging my zoas, one of them squirted into my eye. I spent a long time flushing my eye out, but I’m still pretty nervous that I could cause damage to my eye. I’m wondering, have any of you personally had this happen, and if so what did you do and how did it work out? I’ve read all about the horrors of the zoa toxins, so if you haven’t had personal experience with this or you don’t have a ton of knowledge on the subject, please don’t just post more scary stories, I’m already worried enough.  My eye is red now and feels irritated, but not horribly so. Considering the fact that I’ve spent a ton of time flushing it, I’m not surprised that it’s irritated.

Do you have a metallic taste in your mouth at all? That’s usually the first sign of the toxin really entering your body. I would also recommend going to the optometrist just to be safe  

4 minutes ago, ReefCap said:

Do you have a metallic taste in your mouth at all? That’s usually the first sign of the toxin really entering your body. I would also recommend going to the optometrist just to be safe  

No metallic taste. I started flushing immediately 

Just to be safe I would go to the optometrist and in the future when fragging zoas wear safe glasses and gloves. Zoas are safe enough to handle without protective clothing but when you cut them they always seem to hit people in the eyes. Hope everything goes ok for you! You could also try calling a 24/7 nurse line and see what they say to do

Still alive so far! My eye is red and kinda hurts but that could also be because I ran water over it for like 15 minutes straight. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Hannahhhh said:

While fragging my zoas, one of them squirted into my eye. I spent a long time flushing my eye out, but I’m still pretty nervous that I could cause damage to my eye. I’m wondering, have any of you personally had this happen, and if so what did you do and how did it work out? I’ve read all about the horrors of the zoa toxins, so if you haven’t had personal experience with this or you don’t have a ton of knowledge on the subject, please don’t just post more scary stories, I’m already worried enough.  My eye is red now and feels irritated, but not horribly so. Considering the fact that I’ve spent a ton of time flushing it, I’m not surprised that it’s irritated.

I have had it happen.

Most zoa's don't contain palytoxin or not a lot so likely you were never in any real danger. Basically... a certain paly/zoa type is toxic and we just assumed they all were.

The brown palys, purple death, nuclear greens are pretty toxic. I get some mild respiratory symptoms when fragging them, some numbness if I do it without gloves. I am debating on getting rid of my purple death entirely, I love purple though.... but I don't like death 😛 Some Dino is also similarly toxic, this is why some snails/cuc/coral, ect dies from dino infestations. 

Anyways, this is a good read and it will help you ID which zoas/palys to avoid:

https://reefs.com/2015/09/14/the-dangers-and-myths-of-zoa-toxicity-part-1/

• Like 1
7 hours ago, hypostatic said:

keep us posted -- every few years a reefer dies from palytoxin

I've read of like 2 getting sick, and recovering... And they both boiled their rock. 

• Like 1

I've gotten it in my eye after touching zoa's and then scratching around my face.  It hurts, lot's of redness, but I have never had any long term issues, usually better within a half day.  You also need to remember that the stuff stays on your hands even after washing them a few times so you shouldn't keep touching your face.  You should always wear gloves and have eye protection when fragging zoa's.