Cultivated Reef

Just want to make sure - Moving live rock from newly cycled tank to established tank

RemoGaggi

I have a little 2.6 gallon Fluval Spec that I started about a month ago with live rock from the LFS.  It took roughly a week to cycle where my ammonia read "0".  It's been reading "0" since June 3 (10 days ago) and I've got a couple of small zoa frags in the Fluval that are doing great.  My little fluval is now starting to get algae on the glass, which I know is normal.  I'm considering shutting down my Fluval as I've decided I don't need 2 tanks right now.  I also have a IM Fusion 20 gallon, which I started back in February and it's doing great. 

There's a good-sized piece of live rock in my Fluval that I want to move to my 20 gallon.  I've read that's it's ok to move live rock from established tank to another, but I just want to make sure it's safe to do in my situation as my Fluval is pretty newly cycled.  

Thanks!

I think it depends on how cured the live rock is. If it was live rock from an established tank, then I wouldn't be too worried. If it is live rock sourced from who knows where, then I'd wait a while to make sure it doesn't cause a mini cycle in your 20g tank. Plus, do you want every creature that maybe in or on the rock in your 20g tank? That also depends on how cured the live rock is. 

It couldn't hurt to wait a bit before adding it to the 20g. Two and a half months later, I have seen a single aptasia appear on my the live rock I used to setup my tank. It was sold as premium cured live rock. 

• Thanks 1

If the tank you are taking it from has undetectable ammonia, then it's OK.  You just don't want it to be an ammonia source.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
49 minutes ago, seabass said:

If the tank you are taking it from has undetectable ammonia, then it's OK.  You just don't want it to be an ammonia source.

Yes, the ammonia is undetectable.  But, Garf has me thinking now about aptasia.  I did have a couple aptasia in my 20 gallon before and I got a peppermint shrimp that quickly took care of it.  But, he is now gone (he must have became CUC food cause he just disappeared one day).  I've been eyeballing these new LR for the last 2 weeks as the little Fluval tank is on my desk and I don't see anything on these rocks.  Plus, it's not much rock, probably 2-3 lbs at most.  I know that doesn't mean there's nothing in or on them.