Innovative Marine Aquariums

IM Nuvo 20 Lighting suggestions

vash028

Hi, so I’m running a single AI Prime HD and the color I like I’m using like 28 watts so I’m going to add some T5’s and was wondering how man I should I do 1 or 2 bulbs? 

Well the prime maxed out and the color I like won’t go past the 30w mark and I have been wanting to do a hybrid I think they have the best mix of lighting and great growth.

• 4 weeks later...

I have never gotten the idea behind hybrid light setups....in 1989 there were technical limits so they made sense.  Today?

Today it seems like most folks that do hybrids should decide that they don't like the look of whatever they bought and just go a different direction vs spending double on lighting.  Most claims of "success" after hybrid setups can be attributed to having more light and other factors vs any magic from hybrid lighting. 

LED strips don't get a lot of hype, but are the logical alternative to spotlights just as T5's were an alternative to halide and they provide the even lighting with just a little shimmer that these folks often claim to like.

Current USA, GHL, Orphek and others make good LED strips.  IMO I'd suggest selling the spotlight to make space for LED strips.  From one to three 24" Truelumen Pro strips would be a good setup for a 20 Long, depending on your goals, just for reference.

Or if you're still really into the AI, then try adding a second one to increase coverage and power as was mentioned in another posting.

P.S.  Are you sure you really need more light?  What size tank are you running this on?

P.P.S.  If you're running the current light too high up, lower it.   Cutting the distance to the tank by half will double the light intensity hitting the tank.  I think they have 90 degree lenses on the AI's so your mounting height should be 1/2 the width of your tank (shortest width) to avoid wasting light.

• Like 1