Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Building a tank stand for an internal overflow

TheKingInYellow

TheKingInYellow

Just planning this out, 50g in the display so this is overkill, but there is a 9" x 5" internal overflow on this tank.  

It's rimless so it will need a ply support with a leveling mat underneath.  I'll cut the ply to accommodate the overflow but I won't be able to run a full 2" x 4" for the back.  This is what I'm thinking with the ply either fully cut away to the back edge, or just cut around the bulkhead.  I'm just not sure if I can leave those 45 square inches unsupported to the very edge like this?

Ze9WDtK.png

TheKingInYellow

I'd like to think 9" of glass has enough strength to hold itself between supports, just being cautious I guess.

The builder is going to give me clearances for the bulkheads (3 x 3/4" in the overflow) so I might still be able to sneak a 1 x 4" in there flush against the back of the 2 x 4 s.  I could also sister another 2 x 4 to the outside if necessary.

That dank Reefer

Yea but it will be supported by the plywood, which is supported by the frame, am I thinking of that right? Just use thick plywood, I always second guess my stands too

TheKingInYellow
28 minutes ago, That dank Reefer said:

Yea but it will be supported by the plywood, which is supported by the frame, am I thinking of that right? Just use thick plywood, I always second guess my stands too

Sort of.  If I have no clearance on the back it's going to look like this:

8zgNaXu.png

That dank Reefer

Hmmm ok, I’d cut out as little of that plywood as possible, just as much as you need. What’s the overflow look like?

I wouldn’t be worried about the stand as it’s more overbuilt than mine, I’d be more concerned with the tank having no frame.

TheKingInYellow

Over flow is a standard rectangle, 5" deep, 9" wide.  3 x 3/4" holes drilled in the bottom.

Not sure why the lack of frame is an issue?  Rimless tanks are pretty common.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...