Innovative Marine Aquariums

Cycling Questions

Leggz

Hello,

I have set up my first reef tank in 4 years, got myself a fluval evo 13.5, and I have a few questions regarding the cycling stage. I have had my tank set up for a week and a half and have been testing every day. My ammonia spiked to 2.0 in the first few days then settled down, then my Nitrites spiked to 2.0 then settled down to 0, and my Nitrates have been steadily going up.

My current levels are:

Ammonia: 0.5

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate:5.0

I just find it odd that my nitrites settled to 0 before ammonia. I am going to wait it out and be patient, but what should I do if the ammonia doesn't budge after another week or so? I look forward to hearing your oppinions and being part of such a great community!

So I was curious and did a little test. I tested some distilled water that I had on hand and it tested 0 for ammonia. Guess i just have to wait. I still find it odd that my nitrites settled to 0 before ammonia.

And before someone asks. No, I did not use the distilled water for my tank, I used RODI.

:welcome: to Nano-Reef.com.

25 minutes ago, Leggz said:

And before someone asks. No, I did not use the distilled water for my tank, I used RODI.

FYI, distilled water is perfectly fine to use for your reef tank (just more expensive).

Are we talking about live rock?  If so, just wait until ammonia becomes undetectable, then do a large water change.  If this was dry rock, I'd follow the fishless cycling guide for dry rock.

1 hour ago, Leggz said:

I just find it odd that my nitrites settled to 0 before ammonia.

They are different strains of bacteria, so that's not so strange.