Cultivated Reef

Injured clownfish treatment

aerotiy

I just finished moving my tank last night and this morning as I was feeding everyone I noticed what looks like a wound on my smaller clown. I attached the best photos I could get of him. I ordered melafix off amazon which is being delivered but was looking for additional advice. I am thinking he might have been bit maybe by one of his tankmates in the moving bucket? Besides his mate, there is an orchid dottyback and a Midas blenny in this tank, 56 gallons.

He had a good appetite this morning and seems to be swimming and interacting normally so I am hopeful he is going to recover.

82376047-13FF-47A4-AECB-49F0ACC15F8B.jpeg

The worry with a wound is that it can get infected. Can you QT him or do treatment options need to be reef safe? Also, is that white stringy poo coming out of him??

2 hours ago, Humblefish said:

The worry with a wound is that it can get infected. Can you QT him or do treatment options need to be reef safe? Also, is that white stringy poo coming out of him??

I was thinking of doing a QT but worried that it would cause more stress trying to catch him in the tank. The Melafix bottle says the treatment is reef and invert safe so I was just going to dose it directly into the display. And yes I believe the white stuff was poo it isn’t there anymore. He’s very wiggly and swimming around with the female clown so I remain optimistic 🤞

9 hours ago, aerotiy said:

I was thinking of doing a QT but worried that it would cause more stress trying to catch him in the tank. The Melafix bottle says the treatment is reef and invert safe so I was just going to dose it directly into the display. And yes I believe the white stuff was poo it isn’t there anymore. He’s very wiggly and swimming around with the female clown so I remain optimistic 🤞

Melafix sometimes works on mild infections. I would also start soaking his food with vitamins (e.g. Selcon, Zoecon, Vita-chem) in order to help boost the immune system.

If the white stringy poop persists then he probably has intestinal worms: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1