Tiny Slimer Nub

Zoas

Levels are stable at:

8ALK

1290mg

420ca

5-10nitrate

0.025-0.026 salinity

79 degrees (increases slowly 1-2 degrees throughout the day)

All corals were placed at the bottom for light acclimation in a med - high flow place. I run an A80 at 95% for 8 hours a day.

Everything is doing good, including the three new additions but for some reason the slimer turned white and the “skin” peeled off from one day to another??

What could be wrong?

forgot to add, I have montis and digis doing great. The slimmer was just a stick test. 

RTN. Happened to one of my frags, a highlighter acro. Went to work in the morning. I dose my aminos in the morning so i visually inspect my tank, everything was good. I come back home from work my highlighter acro was totally white and without polyps. WHo knows why it rreally happens.🤔

Sps happened that's what.. they are finicky suckers.. seems like they just rtn for no reason sometimes.. I don't get it they are too much work for me🤷‍♂️

mitten_reef

Acros are finicky. It may be stress from transport, parameter shock from store>your tank, maybe a shock in-store created even before you picked it up, although the last one is less likely to generate RTN at home.  

RTN can kill a whole colony in less than a day, they don’t call it Rapid Tissue Necrosis for nothing.

But again, diff acros can handle fluctuations differently. Green slimer is known to be a hardier variety though, surprised. Just gotta keep trying 😅

If just starting, I’d buy a few cheapest acro nubs the store offers, and go from there. Don’t worry about name brands stuff, save yourself some $$ and heartache until you really know your tank can grow/support them.  Btw, one A80 won’t be enough. 

6 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Just edited my post above 😅 right when you posted this. 🤣

Sooooo? That's a no on the loan then?? I thought we were buds 🤣🤣🤣😂... how bout next time you frag you look me up and I'll pay ya for some stuff lmoa

• Like 1

Pretty rude, I thought I was also gonna get a loan... lol

Yeah, the slimer was just a test run at a hardier acro... I guess I can call it the white devil now?? 

• Haha 2
  • Thanks 1

Start with Montiporas if you want to add SPS. I can't keep Acros alive, but months grow like crazy. Still, it  would be helpful to know why it died in just 1 day. Usually chemistry or temperature. Is your water very different from what it was in at the LFS? Did you acclimate? Just some suggestions. You may never know, but it's worth investigating.