SaltCritters.com

Anemone won’t stay buried

Rhys

I just got a new long tentacle anemone for my tank, but he won’t keep his foot under the sand. I’ve buried his foot several times yet he just keeps coming back up. Is he just being a jerk or is there something wrong with my sand? He seems and looks completely healthy, no loss of color and is responsive and sticky. Foot is healthy, he just won’t keep his foot under the sand. Should I just leave him be? I’ve got a good 4-5” sandbed 

Try to have its foot on the glass bottom of the tank. Or you can have it attach to a rock and put that under the sand. They can't attach themselves to loose sand.

5 minutes ago, Joevember said:

Try to have its foot on the glass bottom of the tank. Or you can have it attach to a rock and put that under the sand. They can't attach themselves to loose sand.

Sweet! I couldn’t directly place the little guy on the glass so I did the second option and found a nice piece of rock that his foot can grab, I buried him and the rock and turned the flow off. Hopefully it works first try, but I’ll keep trying. Anything to make my little guy happy. 

• Like 1

Anemones will move around to where they like. If the foot is damaged or something, they won't attach and will die. Try not to stress the anemone with the move.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Long tentacles have been weird for me. I had one that absolutely refused to stay put, no matter what he did. He ended up getting into a Wavemaker. But I have one now that is a good probably 10 inches long and hasn’t moved since he’s been in tank, except for me having to move him bc of a rock that I added. He hasn’t really moved much since.