minimal

Serenity, Minimal's 7.7g Coral Garden

minimal

Been digging for more lighting presets. I’ve found myself drawn towards a super popular one called “Pirates of the Caribbean”, but the ramp times don’t line up where I need them. And I need to figure out the acclimation mode. Sweet light, but customizing schedules is confusing :wacko:

Does anyone know if there’s a way to just shift the whole schedule on the MyAI app? As opposed to moving each point individually?

• Like 2

minimal
11 hours ago, minimal said:

Been digging for more lighting presets. I’ve found myself drawn towards a super popular one called “Pirates of the Caribbean”, but the ramp times don’t line up where I need them. And I need to figure out the acclimation mode. Sweet light, but customizing schedules is confusing :wacko:

Does anyone know if there’s a way to just shift the whole schedule on the MyAI app? As opposed to moving each point individually?

I figured this out. So if you swipe left or right with two fingers you’re able to adjust the schedule’s start/stop times. Up and down adjusts the intensity. 

This afternoon I’ll be digging into the acclimation settings and also doing an initial water test. 

• Like 1

minimal

Day 3: Initial water test

Results

Salinity: 1.024

pH: 8.3

Phosphate: 0.05 ppm

Alkalinity: 7 dKH

Nitrite: Undetectable

Ammonia: Undetectable

Going to test daily so I can be sure to catch the ammonia spike. Now it's time to wait out the cycle and play with the lighting setup. Will be posting the progress on the prime settings tomorrow morning, for now, I'm gonna go watch a hot air balloon race at LSUS :happy:

• Like 1

billygoat

Looks like I'm a bit late, but congrats on your first fill and the start of the cycle! I've been following along and have seen how meticulous you've been thus far, so I expect you will have a lot of success with this system. 😊

• Thanks 1

minimal
18 hours ago, billygoat said:

Looks like I'm a bit late, but congrats on your first fill and the start of the cycle! I've been following along and have seen how meticulous you've been thus far, so I expect you will have a lot of success with this system. 😊

Thanks a lot! I have high hopes for this one 🙂 

Quick pic and I'll be testing again this evening. Curious if anything is going on yet!

IMG_4207.thumb.jpeg.fd1005f2fc9a1b49281973106809af9d.jpeg

Lighting Updates

1083481574_ScreenShot2019-07-13at3_10_09PM.thumb.png.fd062a4fa29290542fc988492817b1da.png

Has a couple respite periods, sunset starts around 5pm, UV/purples/royal blues on for moonlighting, and a few storms thrown in.

High period

653294860_ScreenShot2019-07-13at3_10_31PM.png.2a562ecb9bad130d2acc6e667c172496.png

Respite period

446832294_ScreenShot2019-07-13at3_10_43PM.png.6becf7601461077cd24ba34e56eab7ed.png

ATO Updates

I have the ATO working smoothly now. Just had to add water to the reservoir for the first time last night. So that gives me three-ish days before chamber three water level will start dropping. I ended up getting a cereal storage container for the reservoir. It fits well under the desk and has a swing-open lid that was perfect for cables and tubing 🙂

I travel for about a month every year, so I'd like to get a bigger reservoir. Now I'm not quite sure this is a good idea, but because the float switch is in the back chambers (where no critters can get to it) is it ok to get a bigger reservoir than the tank can handle? Currently, if the float switch were to fail and keep pumping, the water won't overflow the tank, but any bigger reservoir and it would. Now the ATO is built to pump water for just under two minutes before automatically shutting off. But two minutes of water into my tiny tank...I'll look into it, but perhaps there's another float switch I could place in chamber three, hook up to the ATO and would kill it if it gets too high as opposed to too low. Or maybe that's too complicated and there's another ATO that does this natively. Not sure if this makes sense.

I just don't want to have a constant worry of the tank overflowing in the off-chance the float switch fails.

Tropical Storm/Hurricane Barry

I've been stationed in Louisiana just under a year and a half, and this is the first hurricane that will get us. Shreveport (in the top left) is where I'm stationed. We shouldn't have too much wind (under forty mph) but we're forecasted about eight inches of rain. It shifted west and looks like we're gonna get almost a direct hit. Fingers crossed we don't lose power! I'm glad it's hitting on the weekend though, so I can take care of the tank if it does go dark. I have plenty of extra RO/DI and saltwater, and will get the hot water bottles ready :happy: Gonna go grab some snacks too in case it gets too bad to drive. Maybe I'm overreacting, but better safe than sorry I guess?

live-map-hurricane-barry-path-promo-1562889517953-square640-v127.png.1cc75a126886ec6fb847e601b73c9bdf.png

Have a great weekend everyone! 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

billygoat
5 hours ago, minimal said:

Maybe I'm overreacting, but better safe than sorry I guess?

You're doing nothing that I wouldn't do! The order of importance goes life, loved ones, and then aquarium... the rest of my belongings can take a back seat. 😅 I hope everything ends up going smoothly for you! At the very least this is a pretty good opportunity to get your major power outage for the year out of the way, since you don't actually have anything in the tank yet. 😉

minimal
23 minutes ago, billygoat said:

You're doing nothing that I wouldn't do! The order of importance goes life, loved ones, and then aquarium... the rest of my belongings can take a back seat. 😅 I hope everything ends up going smoothly for you! At the very least this is a pretty good opportunity to get your major power outage for the year out of the way, since you don't actually have anything in the tank yet. 😉

That’s true, I gotta throw my MacBook in there too 😅 we’re just getting the outer bands as I type, but it looks like we should be totally fine. It’s losing strength super quickly, we may get rain but that should be it!

and right?! I almost wish it would kill the power, prove to those rain gods they’re not killing my (baby) tank 😤

minimal

Day Seven: Cycle is underway!

Very good news, I'm finally seeing levels start to spike this evening 🙂

Test results:

Salinity: 1.025

pH: 8.2

Phosphate 0.05ppm

Alkalinity: 8dKH

Nitrite: 1.0ppm

Nitrate: 30ppm

Ammonia: 0.4ppm

Big spike in nitrite/nitrate as well as ammonia. Haven't seen any diatoms or signs of life yet. No worries! Watching the levels move up and down is interesting. It's near meditative to test the water manually :happy:

• Like 1