Innovative Marine Aquariums

Minimal's IM 10g

minimal

Update: there doesn't appear to be a way to adjust the 3152. 

The full version of the osmolator, the 3155, seems to have a potentiometer you can adjust. Unfortunately the nano does not.  

I opened up the small box between the pump and power outlet, and all I found was two quick disconnects and the socket for the plug. Gotta find a work around. I don't like the idea of a big reservoir with a pump that continues for two minutes!

However, I did find a thread on another forum that said the 3152 only pumps 0.75 gallons in a 2 minute timeframe. Doesn't sound quite accurate as it appears to move water pretty swiftly - I'm going to reach out to Tunze and get solid data.

IMG_4511.thumb.jpg.e0c1f9d58400795bd3cc7807a9f5ba88.jpg

Have a short update coming later this evening as well. Light schedules, stocking plans and clean up crew pics.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, minimal said:

The full version of the osmolator, the 3155, seems to have one you can adjust. Unfortunately the nano does not.  

Interesting! Kinda makes me wish I had just gone for the 3155 after all! 😅 Thank you @minimal for going through the trouble to investigate and share your findings. It is definitely much appreciated.

Can't wait to read more about your tank! Keep us posted with those updates. 😉

• Like 1
1 hour ago, billygoat said:

Interesting! Kinda makes me wish I had just gone for the 3155 after all! 😅 Thank you @minimal for going through the trouble to investigate and share your findings. It is definitely much appreciated.

Can't wait to read more about your tank! Keep us posted with those updates. 😉

Same here! That second electronic sensor would make me feel a lot better. I checked the manual, and according to it, it looks like the 3152 will pump for five minutes! Not just under two, like I previously thought. Like I said, I'm reaching out to Tunze for specifics 🙂 

Thanks, & likewise! 🥂

Day 21: Life incoming!

I took way more pictures, but my DSLR is being weird and not wanting to connect to my MacBook. Anyway, let's dive in!

Test Results:

Salinity: 1.025

pH: 8.3

Phosphate: 0.03ppm

Alkalinity: 8dKH

Nitrite: 0.04ppm

Nitrate: 1-2ppm

Ammonia: 0ppm

From what I can see, it looks like we slowly have nitrites and phosphate going down, other than that we're stable. That's after a water change as well. Looks like we're ready to start stocking!

Updates:

• I've seen a few pods running around. They must have hitchhiked with the snails! Interesting to see life already starting to appear.
  • Diatom growth has made it to the glass, return nozzle, sand etc.
  • The spinstream nozzle has got to go. The thing is too loud. I'd hoped it would work out but it looks like we'll be ordering a random flow generator.
  • On the flip side, the sicce 1.0 is the bomb. I'd highly recommend it - dead silent and the flow is wicked.
  • I've contacted Tunze to see about a way to dial the auto-shut off timer on the ATO back. Will pass the knowledge along here.

Finally added a few snails!

Finally added a few little guys into the tank a few days ago. All doing well!

Lighting

1759210740_ScreenShot2019-07-31at7_00_45PM.thumb.png.cac831fed345c74a6412f17ee399bf24.png

This is the lighting schedule I've settled on for now. Based on David Saxby's setting, which is partially based on the AB+ setting. 

Ramps up around ten am, and is ramps down by ten pm, and has five hours of midday with respite periods between.

I ended up turning off the storms, they were fun, but more of a novelty that wore off quickly.

On the left is the peak of the midday, and the right is the respite period.

597105991_ScreenShot2019-07-31at7_00_55PM.png.840013c5a5f47fb7450ec44ea09ee2a2.png962965667_ScreenShot2019-07-31at7_01_02PM.png.535628dd525bd7c0889046b6d67ddac5.png

For the evening, I'm running high blues/UV/violet on lower intensity. Everything else is near zero. The goal is to gain some viewing time while not promoting excessive algae growth.

288458765_ScreenShot2019-07-31at7_01_12PM.png.8824dc4582d40bb938b71d81dca6299d.png

If you'd like the file for the lighting setup just shoot me a message! Would be happy to share it.

Now, because I'm a huge nerd, I've begun to look into the utility of red and green LED's outside of pure aesthetics. It appears that between 640nm and 660nm you get some chlorophyll spikes. Along with higher reds though, chlorophyll spikes seem to rise with brittle corallite formation and/or tissue recession (in some studies). But, true UV seems to significantly ramp zooxanthellae uptake in addition to chlorophyll spikes, with none of the side effects of red. So I've upped UV's. The common consensus as far as red/green goes, looks to be just what works for aesthetics? I think I'm on the right track. 

If you're interested, here are the two studies I lightly read through. It's dense stuff but super informative! (This just shows me I need to learn more about the intricacies of lighting :lol:)

Photosynthetic Efficiencies of LEDs: Results of Short Term Exposure to LED Lights By Dana Riddle

Red Light Represses the Photophysiology of the Scleractinian Coral Stylophora pistillata by Tim Wijgerde and others

Livestock

I have two different stocking ideas. And regardless of fish, I'd like to add a porcelain crab and anemone shrimp. Tiny lifeforms are my favorite :wub: If water quality maintains, I'll be adding fish in about a month.

Option #1 , a group of gobies

Initially, I was going to go with a trio of Trimma sp., however, my LFS wasn't able to get them in. So now I'm looking for a group of one of these two species:

Trimma tevegae

1350668300_Trimmatevegae.thumb.jpg.55f0a6ff5181858dfbd2a00b2695e3ee.jpg

I can find close to zero information on these guys! I have absolutely fallen in love though. They're known as a lot of different common names, but they're called cave gobies quite frequently. Confident, they swim upside down, are peaceful, tiny, big appetiteand very unique. (I have a feeling they're expensive.) But we'll see! If these don't work out probably will go with.....

Coryphopterus personatus (Masked goby)

1256375995_Coryphopteruspersonatus.jpeg.a3ae11d0c9d99a4bb327c02eef87a974.jpeg

Pretty much the same temperament, diet etc as the Trimma or Eviota sp. gobies. They're a bit steep for the size/lifespan though, averaging $15-$25 per fish. I understand you can pay far more for saltwater fish, but considering I'd like to get a group of five...could get pricey quick.

If my LFS is able to, I'd like to do a group of three or five, of one of these species. Three seems better in terms of water quality (esp. in a new tank), but from the research I've done groups of five seem to be very ideal. What would you recommend? I do have plans to upgrade filtration here pretty soon, and have great water quality now/am painting in such a way to keep that quality.

Option #2, one black ice clownfish and depending on water quality, either a clown goby or a neon goby.

Just a super simple backup option if the my tiny-goby-squad-acquiring-ventures don't pan out. Easily available, hardy fish, super pretty, and work well together.

Corals

Tomorrow is the day! I'm going to be picking up a few frags and some more members for my clean up crew. Some mushrooms, zoanthids, and maybe a yellow Fiji leather if they have one! For clean up crew members, I'll be getting a few more nassarius/astraea snails. Very, very excited for this!

The reef :wub: (I need an orange lens filter :lol:)

IMG_4517.thumb.jpg.41b449e3d30c46e768db7abf106ab8fa.jpg

Happy pre, pre-friday!

• Like 3

Oh! Quick question before I turn in for the evening, what do you all use for feeding corals? Would you say there's a noticeable difference in your experience?

I've been heavily looking at Polyplab's reef-roids and I'm near sold. What's your favorite?

Looking good! All your parameters are just about perfect. I'd say it's about time to get things started! How exciting.

15 minutes ago, minimal said:

If my LFS is able to, I'd like to do a group of three or five, of one of these species. Three seems better in terms of water quality (esp. in a new tank), but from the research I've done groups of five seem to be very ideal. What would you recommend? I do have plans to upgrade filtration here pretty soon, and have great water quality now/am painting in such a way to keep that quality.

I have some masked gobies in my own 18 gallon system, and have observed that despite their reputation as "schooling gobies" they actually demonstrate quite a bit of aggression towards each other when kept in a small aquarium. I started out with four of them; one was promptly devoured by my ravenous fish-eating mushroom (Discosoma neglecta) and a few weeks later I lost another, presumably to aggression. The two that remain have lived peacefully in my system for many months, but have clearly divided the tank in half between them. I think that if kept in a large aquarium with a lot of space and other fish, groups of these gobies would probably band together for protection. In a small system though, territorial aggression seems to be a concern, at least in my experience. It's possible that this would be mitigated by keeping enough of them together (like 5+) but it's also possible that larger groups would simply make things worse.

EDIT: If you do decide to go that route, note that KP Aquatics sells masked gobies for $10 apiece. You'd have to pay for shipping as well of course, but that could be a convenient excuse to add some gorgonians or Ricordea to your order. 😉 Not that I'm biased or anything.

12 minutes ago, minimal said:

Oh! Quick question before I turn in for the evening, what do you all use for feeding corals? Would you say there's a noticeable difference in your experience?

I've been heavily looking at Polyplab's reef-roids and I'm near sold. What's your favorite?

I use Reef Roids and have been satisfied with it so far. It's quite smelly, so everything goes into feeding mode when it is in the water, and all of my gorgonians and stony corals seem to love it. It is the first coral food I've tried, so I can't offer much information about comparisons between products, but I can say that Reef Roids have worked out for me.

• Like 2
41 minutes ago, billygoat said:

Looking good! All your parameters are just about perfect. I'd say it's about time to get things started! How exciting.

omgomgomg

I have some masked gobies in my own 18 gallon system, and have observed that despite their reputation as "schooling gobies" they actually demonstrate quite a bit of aggression towards each other when kept in a small aquarium. I started out with four of them; one was promptly devoured by my ravenous fish-eating mushroom (Discosoma neglecta) and a few weeks later I lost another, presumably to aggression. The two that remain have lived peacefully in my system for many months, but have clearly divided the tank in half between them. I think that if kept in a large aquarium with a lot of space and other fish, groups of these gobies would probably band together for protection. In a small system though, territorial aggression seems to be a concern, at least in my experience. It's possible that this would be mitigated by keeping enough of them together (like 5+) but it's also possible that larger groups would simply make things worse.

That's super interesting. I'd read a few reports of them being aggressive but most peaceful! Was it a pecking-order type aggression? With the way my tank is, there's not a ton of space for them to find their own territory. I'll have to rethink that plan then, as it will only be the gobies. Nothing to force the "schooling" type of behavior. That's a bummer, thanks for letting me know though!

I use Reef Roids and have been satisfied with it so far. It's quite smelly, so everything goes into feeding mode when it is in the water, and all of my gorgonians and stony corals seem to love it. It is the first coral food I've tried, so I can't offer much information about comparisons between products, but I can say that Reef Roids have worked out for me.

Good to know! I might just pick that up tomorrow then as well. Can't hurt to try out.

Edit: I may very well put in a big order from them if I do! I’m gonna look around their website and see what they got 👀 

Most of the time for coral food,Reef Roids seems to be what most people use,including myself and have had great results in the past with it. 

Most coral will have a positive response to it and once being fed will start to grow,look happier and start to color up within a few weeks of feeding. I found too,KZ Phos Extra will also have a beneficial effect of corals if dosed in very small amounts (maybe a few drops 1-2x a week),but will also give you film algae on the glass extremely quick too. 

• Like 2

Day 24: Escaped a disaster

Haven't tested since my last update, but will be doing that and a water change this weekend! 

Was going to update here Thursday, but ended up having a minor surgery, getting called in to work a double, car trouble, and almost frying myself and tank!

When the storms hit, they hit hard :lol:

But we are back on track. On Friday, I picked up a few corals, water and more snails. They ended up not having any zoanthids, but I picked up a frag plug with three rics, and a small leather coral. A bit of a disappointing trip, as they didn't have many corals in that day. I'm about to leave to enjoy an evening at the coffee shop, and hopefully pick up some zoas on the way back, as they should have restocked since Friday :wub:

I need to get a lens filter badly. But here's the Ricordea, have a nice green one on top with three or four babies already about to split off. Then there's two pruple/green ones as well, both with babies of their own :lol:

IMG_4567.thumb.jpg.ededddcdc037956698304d1336bc33fc.jpg

Next is the leather coral. Initially, they were going to cut me a 1" frag off a giant established colony, but then I spotted one hiding out under an egg crate shelf. When the leather is puffed up, it's about four inches tall. Right now he's still kind of mad, deflated, and not showing many polyps. :rolleyes:

IMG_4578.thumb.jpg.6b1bc9eb60a67ff26fb67cae82bcc1ea.jpg

Here's a crappy iPhone pic, the light from the window is playing havoc on my attempt to grab a good FTS :mellow:

IMG_4569.thumb.jpg.f13a72b2023e9b5930bc2768c00c1622.jpg

Now, that thing about almost frying myself and the tank.  

In my excitement to get things into the tank, I set a bag with about a cup of water down, hoping it would stay standing while I placed the leather coral. Spoiler: it didn't stay standing.

The water immediately found it's way behind/under my desk and dripped in such a perfect fashion to go directly into the power strip. Immediately things started sizzling, smoking, and giving me a free mini-fireworks show. I pulled the power strip's plug from the outlet and saved all the electronics. After an hour or so of cable management, dipping plugs in freshwater/drying, I just swapped the outlet and tested everything. Worked out completely okay, with only an hour of no heat/flow/light to the reef. But all is well!

I ended up replacing the power strip with a GFCI one, and moved it about four feet from the tank. The whole incident was completely preventable, and I should have placed the power strip somewhere else, furthermore, that power strip should have been GFCI to begin with. Luckily, the reef gods spared me and allowed me another chance :happy: 

Also, I was able to order a masked goby into the store (should be here around mid-august). I decided I'll just be adding one. When I look at long-term water stability and peace of mind (when it comes to compatibility) I think one is the better option.

For the other fish, I'll probably go with the black ice clown. 

Anyway, more updates to come. I'm gonna go find some caffeine, then some zoas. Have a great weekend everyone! :tongueout:

• Wow 3

Oh and I almost forgot, Tunze responded. Here is the email response:

Cameron,

The factory setting for a 3152 is 1 min 40 seconds, for a tank under 25 gallons, 25-55 an optional 2 min 45 second time limit can be set.    3155 units made after 2012 have the potentiometer, it is inside the controller.   It varies with head pressure but the 3152 can add 1/3rd to 3/4 gallon depending on head pressure and setting, the 3155 can add 1.5- 3.5 gallons in the 10 minute time limit depending on pump speed. The 3155 has a back of sensor so is less dependent on the timer as a safety.

It's good to have solid numbers to work with.

In my case, I ended up seeing how much water the back chambers could take before overflowing and was pleasantly surprised to find 1/2 gallon was the absolute max. I did this by turning off the ATO, adding saltwater (w/same specific gravity as the DT) to the rear chamber until I hit the top, then siphoned my water level back down once the experiment was over. Factoring that test in, plus a four foot trip to the tank, I think I can safely upgrade to a larger reservoir. One day I'll buy a super sexy acrylic reservoir, but for now, 2 gallon bucket it is :tongueout:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oh, so you know that's allot of whites on your Prime. Most people don't really run much over 25% as it contributes heavily to PAR and algae growth, you could look into the BRS AB+ profile as it's one a ton of people have had great success with, otherwise just my .02.
I love trimma gobies too btw, it's just tragic how short a lifespan they have, you could look into clown gobies as they're just barely bigger but can live for upwards of a decade.

1 hour ago, Amphrites said:

Oh, so you know that's allot of whites on your Prime. Most people don't really run much over 25% as it contributes heavily to PAR and algae growth, you could look into the BRS AB+ profile as it's one a ton of people have had great success with, otherwise just my .02.
I love trimma gobies too btw, it's just tragic how short a lifespan they have, you could look into clown gobies as they're just barely bigger but can live for upwards of a decade.

That’s a good point, sounds dumb saying it, but I hadn’t even considered the whites outside of aesthetics 🤦🏼‍♂️ I’ll definitely look at it, thank you!

and I agree completely. I’ve always wanted a war paint/green clown goby. If this masked goby falls through, I might pick one up. They’re a weekly order at my LFS. 

• Like 1

I really like the citron myself, just be warned they can be pernicious little buggers and some do have issues with them nipping at coral or outright killing clams. That said they're full of personality!

• Like 2

Here’s a pic I grabbed of the zoas earlier.

6376BDC4-8013-431B-80B7-B59CAB24E53D.thumb.jpeg.414eee8c302a41705b75879f3fa6ef44.jpeg

They adjusted super fast, they started opening almost immediately after placing them in the tank.

image.thumb.jpg.a30ef567708376e216af4fb52566b41b.jpg

Woke up this morning to everything open and doing just fine. The leather is still upset, but otherwise, everyone’s doing great so far. :lol:

• Like 4
17 hours ago, Amphrites said:

My lighting schedule is pretty much the David Saxby preset too, with even higher whites than minimal's on my back SPS light. I know the AB is more popular, but I think the David Saxby one is very well respected also. I don't have much experience and haven't fiddled with the lighting too much, but it's been working for me so far and I'm not having much algae issues. I did in the very beginning of my tank but that was mostly because I didn't realize a skylight was shining sunlight directly into it 😂@minimal let me know what else you find out about the whites and if you decide to lower them (or maybe I'll get to the research first but unlikely 😝)! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
13 minutes ago, lizzyann said:

My lighting schedule is pretty much the David Saxby preset too, with even higher whites than minimal's on my back SPS light. I know the AB is more popular, but I think the David Saxby one is very well respected also. I don't have much experience and haven't fiddled with the lighting too much, but it's been working for me so far and I'm not having much algae issues. I did in the very beginning of my tank but that was mostly because I didn't realize a skylight was shining sunlight directly into it 😂@minimal let me know what else you find out about the whites and if you decide to lower them (or maybe I'll get to the research first but unlikely 😝)! 

Can do! I'm quickly learning I geek out over LEDs :tongueout:

Don't know if this will help out at all, little bit of poking around I did. AB+ is just trying to emulate T-5's and Radions since they're a bit of an industry-standard.
Old-school consensus used to be that whites grew but also bleached and caused algae issues, while blue were great for color, people used to manually-shoot for around 16-18k as a compromise. At least that's how I always heard it lol...
Oh and the weird calcs up top are for non-hd lights and even then I goofed and forgot the non-hd has 4 whites and only 2 dark blues XD And I also neglected to factor in the power-efficiency-improvements made by frequency-boosting LED's, technically the UV, V, and Blue channels are all FAR more power-efficient than any of the other diodes these days.

The middle two humps for phyco's are probably why most accuse green LED's and Cool Whites of contributing to cyano and algae in their tanks. (and the final uptick for a-b being in the 600's meaning the far-red is useless lol...)

1210995003_CompilationofPArbits.thumb.png.109d146ed34c42fbdec89f8162c903f9.png

• Thanks 1

Beautiful zoas, @minimal! What a wonderful first addition to the tank! It's great to see that they opened up right away. ☺️

Don't worry too much about the leather coral, they are just naturally ornery. I'm sure it will come around before long.

Also thanks for sharing the information you got from Tunze regarding the ATO. It's definitely good to get some hard data from the manufacturer regarding cutoff times and things like that!

• 4 weeks later...

Will be writing a big update tomorrow! I’ve been super busy and haven’t been able to get on here for a bit. Apologies!

Lots of new stuff and great progress so far. Excited to share with you all :happy:

• Like 2

Day 53: We're back - lots of progress.

New livestock!

I took a trip to Dallas and grabbed some frags. Only regret? Not buying a $50 frag of 30+ polyp yellow jacket zoas. Next time :wink:

IMG_5192.thumb.jpg.3e1126c88077d034eb0adde4e40b360e.jpg

• Eagle Eye zoanthids (It's been a full 24hrs and these haven't opened up. All other zoas are open and water quality is spot on, so I'm sure these guys are just upset. Not too concerned yet)

IMG_5195.thumb.jpg.a780c8e82a3a7242eca2a2dc51eecf33.jpg

• Lavender torch coral. This guy is a beauty.  This one is a first for me, and I'm already in love.

IMG_5202.thumb.jpg.152abd909d59e73b9783994adf3ee76b.jpg

These next two I have my doubts on. Could I get an ID to backup what they were sold to me as?

• Hollywood stunner chalice

IMG_5193.thumb.jpg.de6430731e1d4db0b0eab08e46481ac4.jpg

• Favites brain coral (Me: "What is this one?" LFS guy: "Probably a favites brain, I'll sell it to you as that" me: *walks out with a $15 frag)

IMG_5196.thumb.jpg.d9aa7337571bf1bdd306c7e09aefb1e0.jpg

• False Percula Clownfish. A good friend of mine named him Milo, he's about 3/4" long and super friendly. Already eats out of my hand and splashes water at me when I'm working in the tank! Sorry about the edit, I'm home and couldn't find a picture of him on my phone!

IMG_5211.thumb.jpg.3ac22852ebebe84dd89a76e34d8958ae.jpg

FTS

IMG_5203.thumb.jpg.a6938940ccf84a300bd72fd9fe6ca154.jpg

Still need to get these frags glued down. (and get an orange lens filter.) And I'm not sure where to put the leather, he loves the current spot he's in but he's a bit obtrusive. Plus, the lower right rock face is going to become a zoa garden, and he's directly in the way! I may glue the rock he's on underneath the overhang in the back left. Would make the rockwork a bit more stable as well. 

Exciting:

IMG_5198.thumb.jpg.48177e71fb4b25b3f28fb23d96fb44d8.jpg

Took this picture a few days ago just after the lights came on. Quite a few new polyps are growing already! Great to see signs of life.

The ricordea's are doing great as well. The biggest one split about two weeks ago! Of course, it was the uglier brown ones that split while the neon green one just got bigger :rolleyes: Not sure where they'll permanently end up, but I gotta find out quick. I think they're about to split again :scarry:

Next up:

Fish/Inverts

• Orange Masked goby
  • Cleaner shrimp
  • Porcelain crab

• Red montipora
  • Jingle bells cyphastrea
  • Acans
  • Favia
  • Yes I'm a "zoa bro", and yes, my wallet will be hurting to get these :lol: That being said, I'm specifically after these:
    • Orange Crush

• Scrambled Eggs

• Cats Eyes

• Goblins Fire

• Nirvanas

• Fruit loops

• Desert Stars

• Rainbow Infusion

I've had a bit of bubble algae that snuck in on the leather coral, so I'm going to see if I can break away the part of the rock where it's at. Also, I've done quite a bit of research and it looks like female emerald crabs are the way to go for continuous removal. It seems that they're the least likely to go after corals. I'll be getting one tonight, and then will be keeping a very close eye on everyone. She's gone the second any of my coral is. I'll try manual removal for the larger spots. 

Personally, I don't mind a bit of bubble algae, it's really pretty! But from firsthand experience, I know it can overtake corals rather quickly. Going to try to maintain a low population instead of complete eradication, which I don't think is really all that possible. 

That's all for now! Will be updating as more gets added 🙂 

• Like 5

They were out of female emerald crabs. But I got a six headed acan frag for $30. Not too bad!

He’s pretty dull now (brown/green), but I think with time, lighting and feeding him well, he will color up nicely!

What are your secrets for getting acans to color up? I’ve seen that lower, bluer light, feeding regularly, and time is really the best bet. Anyone have tips?

• Like 2

Awesome update! I'm excited to see that everything is coming along. And there's no shame in putting together a stunning zoa garden filled with exotic designer flavors. Don't let anybody shame you into feeling bad about that. 😉

Any plan to get a 'nem for the clown sometime down the road? Or is he gonna be flying solo in there?

• Like 1

Great write up. Following. I have an IM 10 coming on Weds. 

Watch that Chalice and Favi. Those suckers can put out some pretty mean sweeper tentacles. They win most fights.  

• Like 2