inTank Media Baskets

All in one tank for 12 year old

Falcon789

Hey All,

It has been some time since Ive been on the forums. I took down my last tank about 2 years back due to time constraints with work and school. My 12 year old daughter has shown interest and would like to start one. I am looking to get one for her birthday coming up this year. I was hoping I could get some suggestions for all in one tanks. I am thinking 10 to 20 gallons. A simple setup with LED lighting. I was interested in the ocean box designs 10 gal, but it seems expensive, especially for a beginner, though it is nice. Not sure about the quality of the innovative marines. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

IM are good tanks for the price. You shouldn't have any major issues. I would go with a 20g as it will allow more fish and the bigger water volumn is more forgiving while still having easy water changes.

Just now, Falcon789 said:

Good point. I think 20 would be a better choice. Ive been looking at the nuvo. Anyone have any problems with the nuvo 20?

Innovative marine tanks are great quality. Some of the best nano tanks on the market. Never had any problems or complaints with my IM20.

IM's are great. Love mine.

Another nice option is the fluval evo 13.5. Its very popular, affordable, and comes with a light.

• Like 2

Wow I just looked at the fluval 13.5 evo. It does look great and convenient. Now I don't know what to choose. Maybe I should just get the fluvial for myself and the IM for my daughter. HAHAHA I don't think I will  be able to get away with that one with my wife. 

I think I might set my sights on the IM. Now I'm just worried about lighting. I know it can get expensive but she will keep mostly soft and LPS. My main concern is getting a lighting that has great colors, I don't have to worry about setting the light from day to night, and at an affordable price. I had a nightmare experience getting the cheapest lighting system with the best features and it turned out it was a crappy model that lasted 3 months. 

5 minutes ago, Falcon789 said:

Wow I just looked at the fluval 13.5 evo. It does look great and convenient. Now I don't know what to choose. Maybe I should just get the fluvial for myself and the IM for my daughter. HAHAHA I don't think I will  be able to get away with that one with my wife. 

I think I might set my sights on the IM. Now I'm just worried about lighting. I know it can get expensive but she will keep mostly soft and LPS. My main concern is getting a lighting that has great colors, I don't have to worry about setting the light from day to night, and at an affordable price. I had a nightmare experience getting the cheapest lighting system with the best features and it turned out it was a crappy model that lasted 3 months. 

I'd look for a used ai prime on here or reef2reef

4 hours ago, Falcon789 said:

There are lots of options for lighting in various budgets. 

AI Prime HD

Nanobox

Kessil

Abi par38 - 2 for 20g,  1 for 10g

https://www.amazon.com/ABI-Coral-Optimized-Spectrum-11-Band/dp/B073V5V5JP/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_sspa?keywords=abi+tuna+blue+23w&qid=1560119697&s=gateway&sprefix=abi+tuna+blue&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&smid=A2TWRNEH2276JE

Viparspectra 

https://www.amazon.com/VIPARSPECTRA-Control-Dimmable-Aquarium-Spectrum/dp/B07SHR6HW1/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?keywords=viparspectra+165w+reef+led&qid=1560119654&s=gateway&sprefix=viparspectra+165&sr=8-2

Hiperagero

https://www.amazon.ca/LED-Aquarium-Light-Hipargero-Saltwater/dp/B074STSMZC/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?keywords=hipargero+led&qid=1560119826&s=gateway&sprefix=hiperagero&sr=8-1