Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

New Macroalgae Species

johnmaloney

johnmaloney

New species to me, and new to the hobby from what I can tell. This is smaller than the picture makes it look, the plants I have found are 2 inches wide and 3 inches tall at best so far. Are they young or just a small species? Got to hit the books today and try to find its match. My bet is some variation of Gracilaria or Agardheilla. Easy to keep in captivity. The first shipments suggest it is a good Priority Mail shipper too, which is another plus.

FullSizeRender (4).jpg

• Like 6
  • Wow 1
Snow_Phoenix
23 minutes ago, johnmaloney said:

New species to me, and new to the hobby from what I can tell. This is smaller than the picture makes it look, the plants I have found are 2 inches wide and 3 inches tall at best so far. Are they young or just a small species? Got to hit the books today and try to find its match. My bet is some variation of Gracilaria or Agardheilla. Easy to keep in captivity. The first shipments suggest it is a good Priority Mail shipper too, which is another plus.

FullSizeRender (4).jpg

Looks like the SW version of a windelov fern. Quite unique. 

• Like 2
On 6/7/2019 at 6:58 AM, johnmaloney said:

FullSizeRender (4).jpg

Very cool, will you be listing anymore? I saw you have a ton of cool stuff in stock right now... I probably filled my cart like 15 times lol My bank account is crying :tears:

johnmaloney

I should put it up and get an ID later I haven’t been able to get a match. I don’t think it is very exotic, just a gracilaria variation. At some point even the scientists got bored listing the variations. I have seen a similar variation in the same spot that is red. 

24 minutes ago, johnmaloney said:

I should put it up and get an ID later I haven’t been able to get a match. I don’t think it is very exotic, just a gracilaria variation. At some point even the scientists got bored listing the variations. I have seen a similar variation in the same spot that is red. 

Yeah, I have had the red variety before. I think I like the look of the green one better. 

• Like 1
johnmaloney
20 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Yeah, I have had the red variety before. I think I like the look of the green one better. 

One of these days I will start  collector's corner section where I can put up all the different variations under different quick headings bit for shipment on a specific day where I can be there to pack it out. Snails are the same way, there are variations and little known sub species etc...

• Like 3
On 6/8/2019 at 9:02 PM, johnmaloney said:

One of these days I will start  collector's corner section where I can put up all the different variations under different quick headings bit for shipment on a specific day where I can be there to pack it out. Snails are the same way, there are variations and little known sub species etc...

That sounds pretty cool.

Got my order in... take my 💰

I was too cheap to pay overnight for a sea squirt or gorg. :somber: but you had lots of cool stuff anyways. 

• Thanks 1