Innovative Marine Aquariums

Since joining the Old School Pico Contest I've been feeling nostalgic and looking to set up a bigger reef system like it was 1999.  Metal halides, T5's, Kalkwasser you get the picture.  I've been thinking about an upgrade tank for sometime now, but had a hard time picking a system that I will be happy with for sometime that's inexpensive, bigger but not huge and easy to manage.  I wanted the same ease of use that I get from my EVO 13.5 but with more space for corals,fish, and more room in the rear chambers.  Most of the AIO's out there didn't quite check all the boxes or out of the budget.  I will be keeping this build on a tight budget, but also try and make it as nice as possible in the process.  That being said I will be using most of the equipment I already have or in use.  My vision for this build will be lots of flow, light, and mainly sps dominant.  I think it will be cool to have a nano still running metal halide/t5/led. It will be interesting to see colors and growth from all three lighting options at same time.  I'm very excited to see this build come together, here are the specs.

Tank

40 gallon breeder peninsula with an AIO insert custom made by @This guy is extra salty 

This way I get the best of both worlds, keep cost low and get the much needed space I was looking for.

Stand 

Petco Brooklyn stand

I will make a custom skin with pvc board 

Lighting

Floating canopy made with pvc board

T5/led fixture I made for my EVOreef 4-24watt T5 bulbs with a dsuny eBay led.

400 watt radium metal halide fixture. 

Flow

Ice cap 1k

Aqamai KPS

Return pump

TBD

This is all I have for now will update as this build progresses. 

• Like 2

I need to replace my mh bulb and I need some help wich bulb to pick if they still make them. My t5's are blue plus and coral plus ati.  I can get ati actinics too. 

All bulbs are 400 watt single ended mogul e39

20k radium? Old faithful? 

10k XM?  Natural sun? 

14k ushio? I don't really know how to describe the ushio bulb but the tips on acros with this bulb is beautiful 

I'm leaning toward radiums.

• Like 1

Looks like the "old school" theme from the pico contest has won you over.  Do they even sell single-ended MH bulbs anymore??  LOL.  

Looking forward to seeing this develop.

• Like 1

Sure did! lol got the old school reef bug.

Most of them are discontinued, I might have to go with Radiums for this reason alone.  

This is gonna be a fun build.  

Right now I'm still deciding on what mfg. tank to get. 

I went to Home Depot to check out the 1/2 inch pvc board and I love that stuff. Should be easy to work with to make a skin for my stand and canopy.  I think the 4x8 sheet will be enough to make stand and canopy. 

• Like 1

My finger tips are throbbing....gonna do the bottom tomorrow. 

WE HAVE RIMLESS!

Saved a lot of money with this breeder coming in at 45 dollars!!!!

cheapest rimless in this size

LANDEN aquariums at 499 on amazon with free shipping, almost an ADA.

UNS- if anyone has them! Then shipping is a whole nother hairball.. about 900.

Custom???? Lol over 1k!!! Pass! 

As fast as I'm upgrading at this rate, I'm building new systems every month and a half LMAO!!! 

So.. 45 bux, petco has there Brooklyn stand at 50 (just ordered) and with a full pvc board 48x96 skin for 75.

Not sure if anyone is familiar with pvc board but it fire retardant, waterproof, uv treated, mold proof, won't fade, it's amazing stuff! And super super light. 

I'm coming in under 200 for a rimless tank and stand with canopy! Not bad...

What do you guys think?

20190610_232255.jpg

20190610_232343.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow 2
This guy is extra salty
On 6/10/2019 at 10:42 PM, 748S911 said:

WE HAVE RIMLESS!

As fast as I'm upgrading at this rate, I'm building new systems every month and a half LMAO!!! 

So.. 45 bux, petco has there Brooklyn stand at 50 (just ordered) and with a full pvc board 48x96 skin for 75.

Not sure if anyone is familiar with pvc board but it fire retardant, waterproof, uv treated, mold proof, won't fade, it's amazing stuff! And super super light. 

What do you guys think?

20190610_232255.jpg

20190610_232343.jpg

Expanded pvc will rot if it gets wet or is constantly in a damp environment 

9 minutes ago, This guy is extra salty said:

I'm red getting this dc return.. the 500 gph one. Thanks for the killer find. I have a jebao dc return I'll see if it fits first. It prolly won't tho. 

On 6/10/2019 at 8:42 PM, 748S911 said:

WE HAVE RIMLESS!

What do you guys think?

20190610_232255.jpg

20190610_232343.jpg

Nice job!  But if you were really reefing like it's 1999, you would've left the rim on!  

12 minutes ago, This guy is extra salty said:

I should have this out the door by tomorrow 

media rack 

36422715-906C-40AF-843C-6C3E558FFFE4.thumb.jpeg.736b5ec6bc0e0f6b88ad6827fcc14412.jpeg

lid for insert

299FCC37-551C-49C3-ABB5-2DF318436E46.thumb.jpeg.d261ea4b566d1623f56c90f367a499c5.jpeg

@This guy is extra salty nice work!  

• Haha 1
  • Thanks 1
56 minutes ago, This guy is extra salty said:

I should have this out the door by tomorrow 

media rack 

36422715-906C-40AF-843C-6C3E558FFFE4.thumb.jpeg.736b5ec6bc0e0f6b88ad6827fcc14412.jpeg

lid for insert

299FCC37-551C-49C3-ABB5-2DF318436E46.thumb.jpeg.d261ea4b566d1623f56c90f367a499c5.jpeg

It’s like Christmas came early 🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯.... 

orange and white is gorgeous.... 

I was actually thinking about getting Miami white clown fishes from Miguel Hurtado, and this might be the excuse I was looking for to getting them.  If I can’t make it to Miami to pick them up I’ll get platinums or Wyoming whites not sure 🤔 but Orange in my clowns for sure now. 

50 minutes ago, ef4life said:

This is going to be a cool tank build, I will be folllwingbthis one for sure.

You and me both.

43 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

Nice job!  But if you were really reefing like it's 1999, you would've left the rim on!  

@This guy is extra salty nice work!  

“LIKE” being the key word here lmao...