Cultivated Reef

Help me choose my next tank

norbert

Hey, longtime lurker here that finally decided to make my own post. This won't be my first nano reef (it will be my second) but it will be my first all in one tank. I'm trying to keep it within a reasonable budget and I need to choose between the IM nuvo fusion 10 with the hipargero/aqua knight light (I think they're the same thing?) and the fluval evo 13.5 with the stock light. These are basically the same price and as far as I can tell, the main differences are that the evo has a closed top, which I like because there's less evaporation, and 3.5 extra gallons total/4 extra gallons of display space but the hipargero is a better light than the stock evo. This will be a mostly lps tank with some softies and maybe one or two easy sps with 2 or 3 fish. Low-tech, no skimmer or anything just weekly water changes and maybe some dosing down the road. I'm also considering going bare bottom to keep the tank as clean as possible. Any help with these decisions is greatly appreciated!

Oh, and reviews on the kessil a80 instead of the hipargero are also appreciated. It's about $100 more with the gooseneck but I could try to find it used for less. Is an extra $50-$100 worth it?

If you want SPS I wouldn't go with the stock evo. I have seen people try it and colors just look off and the SPS struggle imo. 

The A80 might be okay for monti's or something but I would be worried about shadowing when anything else grows from a frag. Usually when I see someone doing SPS with these lights, they end up upgrading or adding a 2nd, ect.

If you can swing it, I would go the IM10g and AI prime, you will have a lot more possibilities. 

Otherwise you can grow anything with a black china box 🙂

I also wouldn't recommend the A80 for a 10+ gallon, especially for stony corals. Do you have a preference on tank shape (i.e. more square vs. longer)?  A Prime, even used, is a great light, I have one (now over 7.5 gallons lol but I did have an IM14 peninsula which is similar to the Evo in shape).  If you like the shape of the Evo, you could get that and stock the softies and maybe some LPS that you want while saving up for a nicer light like the Prime.

Does a better light help growth of lower-light corals as well as higher-light ones? For example, a higher quality light will help with sps, but will it also have a noticeable effect on lps? I'm just trying to figure out the relative benefits of spending more on a light vs. buying improved return pumps, an ato, etc. Maybe this belongs in the beginners forum haha...

1 hour ago, norbert said:

Does a better light help growth of lower-light corals as well as higher-light ones? For example, a higher quality light will help with sps, but will it also have a noticeable effect on lps? I'm just trying to figure out the relative benefits of spending more on a light vs. buying improved return pumps, an ato, etc. Maybe this belongs in the beginners forum haha...

Growth is effected by a lot of factors from elements.... stability... nutrients...lighting...flow. It all matters.

The only thing that doesn't matter is the glass box itself. 😛 Corals wont care if they are in red sea brand glass or aqueon glass 😛

Spectrum is probably as important if not more than par. Remember your lighting is one of the pieces of the puzzle that will effect the colors of your coral too.