Innovative Marine Aquariums

Cant Choose - Go Nano 32G or Larger 65G

Nightrider276

Nightrider276

Hi All,

First post after lurking! 

I have been spending alot of time on this forum reading and have learned a lot. Like most, I was a hobbyist in the 90's and early 2000's, have been out of the hobby for over 15 years. Its time i get back into it, cost is always a consideration but also future growth in the hobby is on my mind as well.

So i have looking at Nano's for awhile, particularly the biocube 32, have spent weeks building it out on paper and in serval shopping carts on the usalul sites. But somehting is keepiong me from hitting the checkout button, that is if i want to go larger!

I have a space for a 65 gallon 36x18x24. The reason is i am considering is after I get a bio cube setup, will i be satisfied? Will i say "should of went bigger". Of course now cost comes into play, easily 1k more in cost to get the 65 up and running. I can start slow and build it up and upgrade. But then the other flip of the coin is I have been out of the hobby so long, maybe I start with the nano, get my feet wet, get successful then say in 2 years go big and move the nano to another part of the house. 

Let me know your thoughts, looking forward to rejoining the community!

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, Nightrider276 said:

Hi All,

First post after lurking! 

I have been spending alot of time on this forum reading and have learned a lot. Like most, I was a hobbyist in the 90's and early 2000's, have been out of the hobby for over 15 years. Its time i get back into it, cost is always a consideration but also future growth in the hobby is on my mind as well.

So i have looking at Nano's for awhile, particularly the biocube 32, have spent weeks building it out on paper and in serval shopping carts on the usalul sites. But somehting is keepiong me from hitting the checkout button, that is if i want to go larger!

I have a space for a 65 gallon 36x18x24. The reason is i am considering is after I get a bio cube setup, will i be satisfied? Will i say "should of went bigger". Of course now cost comes into play, easily 1k more in cost to get the 65 up and running. I can start slow and build it up and upgrade. But then the other flip of the coin is I have been out of the hobby so long, maybe I start with the nano, get my feet wet, get successful then say in 2 years go big and move the nano to another part of the house. 

Let me know your thoughts, looking forward to rejoining the community!

Welcome to NR!! 😊

Always go bigger! 😄

• Like 2

IT SO depends. 

Bigger is more work but more fun in fish selection and just overall size of a big reef

Smaller is less work and cheaper but limited on what you can do inside of it

Just saying but 65 = Tang 32 = No Tang 😉 

65g gives you more options on fish and more room for corals but it costs more, more stuff needed to run it, and larger waterchanges/top ups.

But if you can do 65g, I'd go 65.

Depends on the person and situation. Do you have room to store water for water changes and such? Will it be manageable?

Although....it doesn't sound like you would be happy with nano tbh. 

I hated my 75g and went back to nanos. I won't do big again (although I am tempted all the time) until I have a house where I can plumb everything to a basement for fish room and make it so easy and seamless like some people have.

Having multiple big brute containers in an apartment was not ideal and it was just more work and eyesore than it was worth.

With what I have I can just use a 5g bucket which is easy enough to move and fast.

Usually a person ends up with multiple nanos though.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Usually a person ends up with multiple nanos though.

The great think about this website is y'all don't make fun of me for having more than 1 tank. 

• Like 2