SaltCritters.com

Cheeto’s luxury 5-star suite🦀👑

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
1 hour ago, Ratvan said:

Are these in a QT? 

I find it easier if you get them taking live foods. (BBS, Copepods and Rotifiers) from a pipette, they will eventually recognise this as food tube. Then when I add frozen (rarely now) I use the pipette to push it down and break it up. The fish sees the pipette and starts ripping into it. (When I havent added too much Xantham Gum) or defrost it and deliver by pipette.

Downside to this is if I am target feeding corals then benny thinks it's his food too.....

The only problem that I have around here is that my lfs does not sell live food. So all I have is this frozen mysis and frozen brine shrimp. 

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
2 hours ago, NaturallyKait said:

I feed our YCG small amounts twice a day, I could probably do once but I’m a sucker haha. He really likes the Hikari mysis that’s in the little cubes, it’s really tiny. I just let my son squirt it into the water column and he chases it down and eats, although he’s not scared of the pipette anymore either so I could probably target feed him now. At first he was really skittish and hid when he saw it. 

That’s what I’m trying to do, I can’t target feed, so I’m just dropping it in the tank and leaving the tank alone. Hopefully the gcg will see the food floating around and go after it. 

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

So I just got home and I found some of the mysis that I tried to feed them this morning, sitting inside of the gcg den. He’s either saving them, or they just randomly showed up. I’m hoping they may have eaten some. But bc I’m afraid of too much nutrients in the tank bc of uneaten food, I am moving my huge zebra striped hermit to this tank. He’s just a nuisance really in my 29 gallon, he always knocking over stuff, so in this tank, he’ll actually be useful. I’m also moving my urchin, bc I have a ton of green hair algae in this tank, and almost none in the 29 gallon. 

The GHA is not a danger to the tank...it is cleaning the water. 

Anything you add will poop so just be careful. If the tank acrylic/plastic the urchin can scratch it so keep an eye out.

Nass snails would clean the uneaten food up. Hermit's work too.

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
23 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

The GHA is not a danger to the tank...it is cleaning the water. 

Anything you add will poop so just be careful. If the tank acrylic/plastic the urchin can scratch it so keep an eye out.

Nass snails would clean the uneaten food up. Hermit's work too.

Ok, so do you think I should keep the hermit, but put the urchin back?

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
8 hours ago, Tamberav said:

In my 2.5g I have:

1 hermit

2 TINY virgin nitrite snails

1 trochus

2 nass snails

Ok, then I’ll keep the hermit and put the urchin back and put some Nass and truchus snails from my other tank into this tank

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Would it be ok to put some zoas that I have extra of growing in my 29 gallon into this tank? Is my lighting good enough? 

9 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Would it be ok to put some zoas that I have extra of growing in my 29 gallon into this tank? Is my lighting good enough? 

I cant keep Zoas alive to save my life. However it would be worth a try that way if the worst happens and one system crashes you have back ups

1 hour ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Might morph them into an ugly color due to spectrum or the GHA will piss them off is my only thought. 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
On 7/13/2019 at 12:12 PM, Tamberav said:

Might morph them into an ugly color due to spectrum or the GHA will piss them off is my only thought. 

Yea, they may. I have about three zoas in my 29 gallon that I have not glued down. They are rastas. I’m considering putting one in this tank. See how it goes

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Also, I have some very bad news. I came home today to find one of the gcg dead. He was cut to pieces, so I think that my hermit must have attacked him. I will have to move the hermit back into my main tank. 

One of the gcg is still alive at least. But he’s very shy and likes to hide

• Sad 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
48 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

What Sand/Substrate are you using? I like the look of it, got a nice mix of grain size

I know it’s Carib sea, but I’m sorry, I can’t remember the exact grain size. I’m planning on getting some more sand when I get my next pay check for this tank. The sand bed is looking a little shallow to me

When I get the sand, I’ll get you the grain size. I’ll take a picture of the package and post it on here

• Thanks 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Also, I really don’t know if my gcg is eating. I saw him this morning and he looked a little thin. I tried to feed him last night by mixing some brine shrimp with garlic, but I couldn’t get him to directly eat it. I shot some into his lair, so I’m hoping that he may have eaten a little bit then. I’m also gonna try to get a picture of him tonight, bc he doesn’t look green like the other one did. He’s almost an ocean blue. He’s a really deep blue color, is this normal? Or could he be sick and that’s why his color changed?

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I didn’t get a good look of this goby when I first put him in the tank, so I’m not sure if he was always blue or not

I’ll try to get a picture tonight 

8 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I know it’s Carib sea, but I’m sorry, I can’t remember the exact grain size. I’m planning on getting some more sand when I get my next pay check for this tank. The sand bed is looking a little shallow to me

When I get the sand, I’ll get you the grain size. I’ll take a picture of the package and post it on here

Hmmmmm no one nearby stocks that and the £ on postage isn't worth it.

Thanks anyway I'll keep looking

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
46 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Hmmmmm no one nearby stocks that and the £ on postage isn't worth it.

Thanks anyway I'll keep looking

Your welcome😁

• Like 1

I really hope your goby pulls through - it does sound stressed to me. Did you dip for parasites when you got the gobies? Dipping now would probably be too stressful. PraziPro in the system may be a better option at this point. I understand the LFS doesn't have any live food, but it might be useful right now, can you order any on the internet? What are the temperatures in here day/night?

• Like 1

I would hatch some baby brine shrimp. Also try fresh seafood blended, clams, scallop, raw shrimp, etc... the kind you get from a nicer grocery store. 

These guys can be picky eaters. 

LRS is nice stuff too but needs to be chopped into small pieces. 

I would even try flake. 

• Like 2
NaturallyKait

My yellow clown goby really likes Hikari mysis (specifically the kind in the little cubes, it’s teeny tiny compared to most mysis) and will eat this one specific kind of flake. I usually stick to the mysis because I prefer frozen but it may be worth a try?

42B6B616-B147-4457-B0EF-EFE52DFBFA3A.jpeg

• Like 1

All are good options but dont do as I did and dump everything in at once and see what it takes. That works in a BB quarantine 

On 7/12/2019 at 7:39 PM, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

The only problem that I have around here is that my lfs does not sell live food. So all I have is this frozen mysis and frozen brine shrimp. 

Asian supermarkets? Have a look for crab roe/eggs. I got curious and even my FW fish go nuts for it now

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
3 hours ago, Ratvan said:

All are good options but dont do as I did and dump everything in at once and see what it takes. That works in a BB quarantine 

Asian supermarkets? Have a look for crab roe/eggs. I got curious and even my FW fish go nuts for it now

I sadly don’t have any Asian supermarkets around here. I live in the middle of WV, there are no Asian markets around here

• Sad 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
5 hours ago, Tamberav said:

I would hatch some baby brine shrimp. Also try fresh seafood blended, clams, scallop, raw shrimp, etc... the kind you get from a nicer grocery store. 

These guys can be picky eaters. 

LRS is nice stuff too but needs to be chopped into small pieces. 

I would even try flake. 

I’ve tried flake, no luck. How would I hatch baby brine shrimp? Even if I ordered something online, would it even make it here in time?

5 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

I really hope your goby pulls through - it does sound stressed to me. Did you dip for parasites when you got the gobies? Dipping now would probably be too stressful. PraziPro in the system may be a better option at this point. I understand the LFS doesn't have any live food, but it might be useful right now, can you order any on the internet? What are the temperatures in here day/night?