Cultivated Reef

filtration Nuvo 20 to 30L

gusto

Hi Everyone,

I'm upgrading my Nuvo 20 to a 30L and just wanted to get some advice on the back filtration. I'm currently running filter floss, sponge, bioballs,  cheimpure blue and purigen and an eshopps nano protein skimmer.  I was basically looking to see if I can put the protein skimmer in the return of the 30L and have a refugium in one of the chambers..  please see the diagram. 

Also whats the best way to go about the upgrade..  I'm probably putting the 30L where the 20 is going so I will have to juggle things around and should I used the sand from the 20 or just buy new.. and seed it..     

i also posted a picture of my current tank as well.. 

Screen Shot 2019-06-05 at 8.09.45 PM.png

IMG_20190421_194004.jpg

I've done transfers. I listed everything I did in my journal for my lagoon. You can check it out for some help, it's a very detailed explanation.

I can't comment or help with bioballs, sponge, or skimmer, I don't use any of those.

I would make my refugium larger and not use the bioballs. Larger the refugium, the better. 

I would use all new sand or completely wash old sand. Reusing the existing sand as it is, after fully disturbing it, is usually when issues occur with transfers.

Hi Clown79..   Thank you that was a great read and very informative..  I will definitely follow your lead. You had mentioned you vacuum your sand every week..  I sometimes vacuum the top only, do you go all the way down to the glass? 

5 hours ago, gusto said:

Hi Clown79..   Thank you that was a great read and very informative..  I will definitely follow your lead. You had mentioned you vacuum your sand every week..  I sometimes vacuum the top only, do you go all the way down to the glass? 

You're welcome.

I try to stir the sand through the week too. I don't just do the top layer, I make sure the sand gets moved somewhat but not necessarily to the bottom of glass.

Thank you again ..  also decided to put the tank in another location in the house so for this transfer I was thinking to get the tank all set up.. take the corals and fish and put them in a bucket with water from the old tank then take the live rock transfer it to the new tank put my new sand in and slowly add new saltwater enough to cover the live rock then slowly add water from existing tank let the sand settle for a bit (in the meantime transfer over my ato , lighting, etc) after the sand settles start adding the corals and fish.. do you think that's the best way to handle it and will there possibly be a mini cycle or being that I'm transferring over my live rock, bioballs and sponges there shouldn't be much of one? 

2 hours ago, gusto said:

Thank you again ..  also decided to put the tank in another location in the house so for this transfer I was thinking to get the tank all set up.. take the corals and fish and put them in a bucket with water from the old tank then take the live rock transfer it to the new tank put my new sand in and slowly add new saltwater enough to cover the live rock then slowly add water from existing tank let the sand settle for a bit (in the meantime transfer over my ato , lighting, etc) after the sand settles start adding the corals and fish.. do you think that's the best way to handle it and will there possibly be a mini cycle or being that I'm transferring over my live rock, bioballs and sponges there shouldn't be much of one? 

Any water you want to use in the new tank, should be removed before removing the rocks. Once you disturb the sand by touching the rocks, that water won't be good for use.

All else sounds good.

You shouldn't go through a cycle at all. I'd get an ammonia badge and have Prime just in case.

• 1 month later...

Getting ready to make the switch from 20 to 30,  I think I'm going to get rid of the sponges and bio balls(after reading about debris). So far one chamber will house my protein skimmer, one chamber for my refugium, one will have filter floss/Purigen/chemipure and suggestion on the last chamber, also just wondering what everyone else has in their chambers?   

Thanks

mitten_reef
1 hour ago, gusto said:

Getting ready to make the switch from 20 to 30,  I think I'm going to get rid of the sponges and bio balls(after reading about debris). So far one chamber will house my protein skimmer, one chamber for my refugium, one will have filter floss/Purigen/chemipure and suggestion on the last chamber, also just wondering what everyone else has in their chambers?   

Thanks

you'll love the 30L...it's a nice tank (I have one 😛 ).  

For your one remaining chamber, I'd recommend moving your heater to it.  Your heater should be in a place where the water level is stable whenever possible.  Having it in the return pump chamber could potentially cause catastrophic failure, say, if your ATO stops functioning and portion of your heater is exposed to air for too long.  I wouldn't trust it being in the middle, regardless of where I keep my water height in there.  Just a thought.  

• Like 1
4 hours ago, gusto said:

Thanks

I have a media basket in each over flow chamber: small bag of carbon in each, filter floss in each, 1 small bag of purigen.

My 1 chamber has the heater, the other a pod condo, middle is the return pump

13 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

you'll love the 30L...it's a nice tank (I have one 😛 ).  

For your one remaining chamber, I'd recommend moving your heater to it.  Your heater should be in a place where the water level is stable whenever possible.  Having it in the return pump chamber could potentially cause catastrophic failure, say, if your ATO stops functioning and portion of your heater is exposed to air for too long.  I wouldn't trust it being in the middle, regardless of where I keep my water height in there.  Just a thought.  

Thank you, yes I love their 20 and I'm excited about the 30L.. Thank you for the advice about the heater I will put it in the one chamber.

10 hours ago, Clown79 said:

I have a media basket in each over flow chamber: small bag of carbon in each, filter floss in each, 1 small bag of purigen.

My 1 chamber has the heater, the other a pod condo, middle is the return pump

Thanks, quick question.. which carbon bags do you use.. I've been using chemipure elite and they either have 5 gallon bags or 35 gallon bags or do you just make your own. I see you also only use one bag of purigen do you have an empty spot in your media basket?

Thanks for all your help.. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, gusto said:

Thank you, yes I love their 20 and I'm excited about the 30L.. Thank you for the advice about the heater I will put it in the one chamber.

Thanks, quick question.. which carbon bags do you use.. I've been using chemipure elite and they either have 5 gallon bags or 35 gallon bags or do you just make your own. I see you also only use one bag of purigen do you have an empty spot in your media basket?

Thanks for all your help.. 

I buy media bags and fill them myself with seachem matrix carbon. I prefer to use less and replace every 2-3 weeks. More cost effective and more control on quantity use for tanks needs.

I buy the purigen bags that are for 100g, cut it open and split between tanks, I use small quantities. I zip tie the bags closed.

I have also used brand new knee high pantyhose for media.

I don't use chemipure.

Yup, I have some empty areas in my baskets and chambers. They don't need to be full

• 3 weeks later...

Ok did the upgrade this weekend and I'm very happy with it and Clown79 used a lot of pointers from your Lagoon build thank you..  I did go with a refugium in the back of the right overflow chamber and I do have the bioballs and the sponges in the next chamber but plan on removing them in a day or so ( just used them to help with the cycle)..  right now it's day 4 and no ammonia spike or cycle.. I used about 17 gallons of new water and 10 gallon from the old tank, In a few days I'm going to take the bioballs and sponges out and then set up the nuvo 20 as a quick qt tank for a few fish I want to add..  I cleaned the 20 so I figured I'd do a water change on the new 30L and take that water put it in the clean 20 then add more saltwater, bioballs and sponge and add the new fish in there for about a month or so..   

IMG_20190806_192750.jpg

• Like 2

The Orbit brackets are totally cool where they are, but if you move them to the ends of the lights, the lights will be even more stable AND you can cable tie the power cords to the end bracket to make them a little sleeker looking too.

Wow.. Great idea, Thanks!! was in such a rush when setting it up and kept it the way it was on the 20, didn't even consider that and like the cable ties idea as well.. 

• Like 1