Coral Vue Hydros

TheKingInYellows 50g custom blackout bare bottom

TheKingInYellow

1 hour ago, TheKingInYellow said:

As I'm reading this morning I realize I have another issue.  I have an Apex Classic, and the sticking with the AI Prime/Prime HD won't work since the Apex IoTA implementation requires a current version of the Apex (2016) or ApexEL.  FFFFFFFFFUUUUU....

So maybe a pair of Kessils instead?  160s or 360s?  I can use the onboard VDM on the Apex with any 0-10vdc controllable light but I would like to have some spectrum control as well.  This kinda sucks.

Lighting discussion here:

What will you use apex with ?  If your not gonna use it much I say ditch the apex and set up lighting how you want them.

TheKingInYellow

Everything will be running off the Apex at this point.  I mean there is always the option to just dump it, but I really like the idea of integration between flow, lighting, return pump, with hooks into the Ph/Temp of the tank.  Remote monitoring to boot.

I've already decided to get the Neptune WAV system so that's pretty much locked me in anyhow.

Looked into the Red Sea ReefLED and they look decent but no one sells them in Canada.  Leaning towards the 3 x Kessil 160s right now.

• Like 1
TheKingInYellow

Someone on RC mentioned the Aquatic Life Hybrid fixture.  36" with a pair of Kessil 160s might be the magic I'm looking for.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, TheKingInYellow said:

Someone on RC mentioned the Aquatic Life Hybrid fixture.  36" with a pair of Kessil 160s might be the magic I'm looking for.

I was gonna go with that same setup for my 40 build, but I wanted metal halide too lol.  Good call on that combo! That’s the winner. 

TheKingInYellow

Sounds like a plan.  The 36" fixture is a wee bit spendy though.  Wondering if I can get away with the 24" and pushing the Kessils right out to the edges.

edit:  Actually only $50 more.  What the hell, I'll just do it.

giphy.gif.7a095bc7da35b104e2e5197f3a010d7e.gif

• Haha 3
53 minutes ago, TheKingInYellow said:

Yes! You won't regret t5/Led combo. Keep an eye out for my post today on one 😉

• Like 2
TheKingInYellow
24 minutes ago, OverCookedRock said:

Yes! You won't regret t5/Led combo. Keep an eye out for my post today on one 😉

As in you are selling me one for cheap?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
TheKingInYellow

Got some time in the garage woodshop tonight.  Had to square up my mitre gauge but got everything cut, and started the joinery with my dowel jig.

B8eyhoJ.jpg

Yes my shop is that messy.  Shut up.

The great thing about a joinery jig is that you can dry fit the entire assembly without using any glue and it will hold together.

Top top frame of the stand dry fitted:

E9uHObB.jpg

The overall frame is 1" over the tank dimensions in both length and width just in case I decide to put a moulding around the tank bottom.

A good start but there is a lot more to do:

NslfzsT.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
TheKingInYellow

Still sitting on some of this equipment.  I have the AIO 18" cube, the heater, Pico Skimmer and the AI Prime.  I was hoping to sell it as part of funding this build but it's not really going anywhere.

I think it would make a good seahorse tank maybe with the lower flow and mid-lighting but my living room routinely hits 77-78 in the summer.  Even out of direct light I don't think I can count it to stay any cooler than that.  Fine for the reef tank, not so fine for horsies 😕

TheKingInYellow

Spent another couple of hours in the garage tonight.

Here is the stand base, the supports in the middle will hold a sunken plywood shelf for the sump:

ak9aU5H.jpg

The legs, like the rest of the carcass, are all aligned and joined with dowels:

eXIfuSF.jpg

Here is the full stand dry fitted.  Everything just needs to be dressed if it's not completely square, then glued.

Vze3fgN.jpg

In total the assembly is held together with 144 precision drilled 1&1/2" x 3/8 " fluted hardwood dowels.  You could comfortably park your car on it.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
TheKingInYellow

I have kids and large dogs.  I don't want it to move even the smallest amount.

Side question, what's the go-to Reef salt for SPS nuts these days?

Just now, TheKingInYellow said:

I have kids and large dogs.  I don't want it to move even the smallest amount.

Side question, what's the go-to Reef salt for SPS nuts these days?

lol probably red sea. I just buy basic ass salt or get water from lfs though...granted basic ass salt is what the major aquariums use like city aquariums 

TheKingInYellow
9 minutes ago, 748S911 said:

RPM! Is what everyone seems to be using, I just bought reef crystals cause it was on sale for 37 bu is for 200 gal box lol. 

Never even heard of Fritz aquatics before...

TheKingInYellow

Doesn't look like I can get it up here in Canada anyhow.  Red Sea Coral Pro at reasonable prices.  Guess I'll go with that.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
TheKingInYellow

Let's talk stock list. 

I've watched the BRS Hybrid method videos for starting a tank and it makes a hell of a lot of sense.  Once this stand is assembled and I'm just doing paint, I'll get saltwater mixing and start cycling the rock in a tub with a shrimp.  Stocking won't happen until September or so, but it doesn't hurt to plan ahead.

Now, here is the issue.  I know that this is going to be a problem because the Hybrid method focuses on utilitarian fish to help clean up algae, and that meant herbivores, and that means Imma get a call from:

tangpoliceGIF.gif&key=334d7ad76b7fca8314

It's a 3' x 18" footprint, but I would like a pair (probably) or Bristletooths.  Tomini and a Yellow or Purple.  Go for it, eviscerate me.

Outside that, a few flasher/fairy wrasses, a Mandarin Goby (captive bred frozen eaters at my LFS), maybe some anthias.  The Hybrid system feeds big, wants heavy livestock and focuses on mechanical and chemical filtration so the stock level isn't as big an issue as the swimming space.

Thoughts?

TheKingInYellow

Picking up the ply for skinning the stand tonight.  The bottom frame and legs are all glued up, just need to dowel the final assembly.

The front of the stand is designed to be a single removable panel using panel couplers:

Button-Fix Panel Couplers - Hardware

Trying to decide if I will mount these directly to the 2x4 frame or if I'll frame out the front and countersink them into the ply frame.  Regardless it should give complete access to the sump area easily.